• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've decided I want to act on an idea that's long tickled my fancy, namely start a collection of one brand of guns, mostly handguns. I just think it would be neat.

I've always loved Rugers, and owned more than a few over the years. I've also owned a fair share of Taurus' over the years, and they've always been good to me. Both brands are reasonably priced, which means I can save a bit at a time and still build a decent collection as time goes by.

I've also been doing a good bit of trading over the last couple years, looking for the gun I want to carry and compete with for the next 5 or 6 years. The little PT145 Millenium Pro is looking good for that role, but with the amount of ammo I shoot (when I have the $$$, poverty never lasts forever!) I'm real fond of the ruggedness of the Ruger P345 or SR9.

I love the Ruger semi-autos, and the 345 and SR9 are an awesome fit in my hands. I would love to get hold of another P85, 89, 90, etc to go with it. I also like the selection of Ruger revolvers to chase down. Single actions, double actions, all kinds of goodies.

Taurus, otoh, makes a vast array of neat and interesting guns to pick up and collect. But I'm not sure I'm as inspired by their guns.

My collection will be a working, shooting collection, not guns to be hidden behind glass as befits both brands.

So, I face a quandary. Do I stick with my little Millenium Pro, take the plunge and buy the holsters and carry gear for it. Or go with the American made, built like tanks Rugers, and trade off my little .45 for a 345 or SR9 as my primary carry gun?

Decisions, decisions.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Taurus makes some real good guns for the money, I own several and have owned a few more in the past that I wish I would have kept. The next one I want is the circuit Judge, it looks just too cool.

taurus_circut_judge-tfb-tm.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would personally go with Rugers and you may want to start with one type. For example the Ruger Bearcat. Get one in each finish, then in each caliber, then in each caliber in each finish, then in each barrel length in each caliber in each finish . . .

I'm a collector of Detonics Combat Masters. I collect only the original factory guns. I've got them in all 4 calibers they produced. But there are some finishes in some calibers I don't have. And I've got some non-production guns that were special order pieces. And one engraved gun. And a couple custom finished guns. I'm only collecting 1 model, but I have a couple dozen of them and all of them are different and I consider my collection very incomplete.

All that said, I would expect that if you collected the Ruger guns you'd find that you would never run out of guns to buy because there will always be another special piece, maybe an engraved piece or maybe color case hardened made in very limited numbers, or maybe . . .

Anyway that's just my opinion but that should keep you plenty busy collecting.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    371   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have admiration for what both brands have done over the years. However, from the point of view of building a collection, I would have to say Ruger also. I am thinking about the variety of Blackhawks and other single actions, carbines, etc.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I have several of each brand and like all of them. If I was going to collect I would chose Ruger but I wouldn't get rid of that Taurus. :twocents:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like both and own both. I would probably go with the Ruger as far as for a collection, but if you are comfortable with your pt145 as your EDC and you really enjoy it, I wouldnt necessarily want to get rid of it but thats just me. If it were me I would keep the pt145 for my EDC, at least for the time being, and start going after the rugers. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Sounds like a great idea you have there, Joe.

From a pure collector's standpoint, I think the Rugers would make a more interesting and valuable collection. But then again, you can't go wrong collecting guns!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Taurus makes a nice, reliable piece. But, I think for years they were kinda known for making copycat guns. Nothing wrong with that and they do it well . HOWEVER. Ruger just has way more class I think. I mean, the single six, the M77, the Super Blackhawk/redhawks, Redlabel, Ruger ONE and for Pete's sake 10/22!
    And yes, the P85 and 89, I had them both and although they were kinda clunky, they were great. Im sure Im missing some just off the top of my head.
    R U G E R!

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Rugers

Have a friend that has several Ruger handguns he's trying to get rid of...Just off top of my head I don't remember all of what he has but he is like everyone else now trying to get a little mula to help catch up. He is very computer illiterate and is not on INGO but I will try to help on either end if I can get a list together. Poor guy just doesn't know what he is missing in the world...INGO!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Ruger

You can have a "collection" with nothing but the 10/22. There have been a slew of variants made including some distributor exclusives. Right now, most models aren't what you might call investment grade except for the 10/22 magnum. That means you can still buy them without breaking the bank. Then....there are customized 10/22s. The possibilities are endless. I've just sold one (thanks TSG) which gets me down to seven 10/22s in four different calibers and one gun set up expressly for the Aquila SSS round. Of course there is the Charger which is a 10/22 at heart.

Go with Ruger and start out with a particular style, type, or caliber. There are just too many to pick from.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'll have to join in and suggest Ruger as well. They just have too many that are among the best in their class such as the 10/22, LCP, Mk2/Mk3. I'm not as familiar with their revolvers and larger calibers, but I've read some good things about those as well.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Considering this will be a collection, I think that the Rugers would be a better choice because I'm sure they have a higher collector value.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Considering this will be a collection, I think that the Rugers would be a better choice because I'm sure they have a higher collector value.

Someone elsewhere made that point, and I think it's a good one. I like Taurus, but a collection of Taurus' would never really be anything besides a bunch of guns. Twenty years down the road, a Taurus, no matter how good a gun it is, will likely never be anything other than a 20 y/o Taurus. A 20 y/o Ruger, otoh, may be something special to someone.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Do not know what to tell you. I'm a variety guy myself. Never have liked Ruger autos, but they do make good revolvers. Taurus makes good revolvers, but I'm not big on their autos either.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've always loved Ruger, and have a 10/22, super Redhawk .44 mag, super Redhawk Alaskan .44 mag, and an older super Blackhawk .44 mag. I've never had the first problem with any of them, and they will fire anything you can jam into em'. I'm soon gonna be the proud owner of an SR556, whenever I find one. With that being said, my main CC weapon is a Taurus PT745 millenium pro. Never had a problem with it either. I'd say you couldn't go wrong either way.:D

Top Bottom