• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Alright guys, I am far from a knife expert like most of you.

I am looking for a new EDC folder.

Requirements:

-3-3.5" blade
    -plain edge
    -pocket clip
    -lightweight
    -lets say, $30-$65 budget (but I'll go up to $100 for the right knife)

I am currently looking at two knives. One is at the low end of my budget and the other is at the top end of my budget.

For about $30 I can get a Spyderco Tenacious.

images

For about $65 I can get the Coldsteel Lawman.

images

I would like opinions on both knives please, and if you have another suggestion that fits into the budget, please post.

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I love my Spyderco Delica. I much prefer the spyderco hole to a stud.

I can't think of a time I tried out a knife with the a hole in it, but I do know that I don't really like the ones that have a stud on them. The studs rarely seem practical to me and they dig into your pants when you clip them on.

I'd probably go with the Spyderco, too, OP.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    From what I've read, the Delica is better than the Tenacious.
    I have the Endura FFG and really like it. I would get the Delica FFG.

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    I EDC a Spyderco Endura 4. Great knife, light weight, 4 position pocket clip, yet big enough to use for self defense in a bad situation. About $60 depending on where you buy. Have a Tenacious also, ok knife but not up to the standard of the Endura 4.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Benchmade 350 is one of my favorites. I currently have two. One older one with a plain non serrated blade and a newer one with about a third of the blade that's serrated. I think they are discontinued, but you can still find them some places. I've been carrying them for about fifteen years and love them. Good luck with the selection process.
    CopsPlus.com: Benchmade 350 Mel Pardue Plain Edge Clip Knife

Here is the newer one that replaced the 350.
    CopsPlus.com: Benchmade 530 Pardue Plain Edge Knife

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    -3-3.5" blade
    -plain edge
    -pocket clip
    -lightweight
    -lets say, $30-$65 budget (but I'll go up to $100 for the right knife)

To me, those specs scream Spyderco Delica or Endura.

For a no-nonsense, lightweight folder for EDC and self-defense, I really liked my waved Endura.

When that one got electrocuted, I decided I wanted something a bit more substantial, with a bit more heft and higher quality materials. So I now carry a Spyderco Manix 2, and love it. You could find one on the higher side of your budget.

C101G2_L.jpg

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When it comes to folders there are a few that are simply classic. I'd be looking at a Kershaw Leek. They come in many different flavors and configurations these days, and remain one of the most popular folders in recent history.

bushidomedic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I prefer a fixed blade knife such as the RAT 3 but with folding knifes I'm a big fan of either the Waved Delica or the Benchmade Griptilian. I have seriously put my griptilian through the paces and it is still smooth opening, tight locking and sharp as a razor. I like the waved Delica for a self defense knife if a firearm or fixed blade are illegal. A good knife is a good knife.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Flat ground Endura or Delica.

However, I believe the best EDC knife is an Emerson CQC-14. Wave opener, 154CM blade, full size grip, sub-3" blade keeps you "legal" in places with a blade length restrictions (like a lot of workplaces).

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I also have to throw in a vote for the Endura although it is slightly longer than you specified. It was my first quality knife. I didn't know a knife could be that sharp. Some of the best prices I've seen are found at Amazon.com. The Manix 2 that esrice posted is smokin hot though. Hmm:rolleyes:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I like the Benchmade Griptillian and mini-g. I do like the waved enduras and delcias. Another option that I like is the M-16 by CRKT.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    To me, those specs scream Spyderco Delica or Endura.

For a no-nonsense, lightweight folder for EDC and self-defense, I really liked my waved Endura.

When that one got electrocuted, I decided I wanted something a bit more substantial, with a bit more heft and higher quality materials. So I now carry a Spyderco Manix 2, and love it. You could find one on the higher side of your budget.

C101G2_L.jpg

Nice, I like G10 handles. I haven't ran across the Manix yet. Very nice looking knife. Thanks for the suggestion.

Top Bottom