Walther P22 VS Sig Mosquito (help me out)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Going to check out both of these from a guy selling them . I only want one as a cheap plinker or exxtreme emergencey pocket gun.

Which do you think is the better gun as far as .22lr's go? (durability, jamming, etc.) And it's the short barrel walther if that makes any difference.

If you have owned or shot one or the other that is a plus.

Go!

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    My friends Walther P22 is wayyyy more reliable then my Sig Mosquito.

I get probably one FTE or FTF every magazine. I've been using American Eagle .22 so that could be the issue, since Sig Sauer recommends CCI Mini-Mags.

I've had one stuck case in the chamber the last time I took it to the range. The extractor wouldn't grab the case lip. Had to take a barrel brush to knock it out.

You keep the Mosquito clean and run CCI Mini-Mags through it and you will be happy.

If you have large hands you might be more happy w/ the Sig Mosquito. The P22 is small....

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I would ask Pami about the Sig. She seems to REALLY love hers and I've heard they are far more accurate than the P22. I almost bought a P22, but after shooting one and seeing it's grouping, I decided that it'd make a good tactics training gun and that's about it. It's not at all accurate, but maybe someone who actually owns one can attest to it. Just my :twocents: from having played around with one. Personally, I'd rather have the Sig.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I tried the search function in the clasisfeds but most sales had their prices removed (pre-rule sales).

What is a reasonable price for either one?

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    The sig is generally a lil higher priced , both great guns , extra mags are a lil higher for the sig ,

get the one that feels best to you in your hand ...
    You wont be unhappy with either ...

I personally like the walther better but thats just my :twocents:

go with the one you like best you will know when you hold the two of them :patriot:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I guess I didn't add my personal thoughts on the Mosquito I have. It really do like it. It's really fun and cheap to shoot.

Even though the malfunctions can be annoying, it makes for good malfunction clearing practice.

I also noticed it is a bit more accurate then the P22.

I have a few pictures of my Sig in my album.
    INGunOwners - iamaclone45's Album: Handguns

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Beechgrove firearms had the P22 about 4 months ago new for $309.99. I am not sure about the sig. I bought my wife a P22 off of here for $250.00 with 3 clips. ALso I do know that the P22 has interchangable back grips for bigger hands and smaller hands. I like the big grip and she like the small one. Hope this helps you some.

urustyone

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I saw a new 2-tone Sig Mosquito at Tomlinson's in Churubuso sell for $325.00 They had the Walther's too but, did not look at the $. I would recomend calling them and if they do not have any more in stock see how much to order. I am also a big fan of 21st in Bluffton if you want to call them too!

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I own a Sig, and have shot a many rounds through a P22. I like the Mosquito's ergonomics better, but the trigger is terrible. I've let more than one person shoot it that pulled the trigger, and thought it wasn't cocked. I just tell them "no, you really do have pull very hard".

Assuming my trigger is typical of Sigs, I would recommend the Walther.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a P-22, and a friend has the Sig. Got to shoot both a few weeks ago. The Walther is smaller and lighter, the Sig a bit closer to a "full-sized" gun. I can feed the P-22 a steady diet of any high-velocity .22LR with no problems (currently Remington bulk pack), once it was broken in. The Sig NEEDS MiniMags or Stingers to fully cycle the slide. Lots of 'stove-pipes' and feed problems. I'm not sure if it will loosen up with more time or not.

Both are fairly accurate, and a blast to plink away with. They both seem to break down pretty easy to clean.

Fort Liberty in Avon had the Walther for $319 and the Sig for $325.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I love my P22. I cannot stand shooting a Mosquito. The Sig is way too heavy and the trigger is horrible. The P22 has a great grip, it's accurate enough as a plinker, and it comes threaded from the factory so I can mount my suppressor on it.

Feed issues in either gun are probably ammo-related and not the gun.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I own a Sig, and have shot a many rounds through a P22. I like the Mosquito's ergonomics better, but the trigger is terrible. I've let more than one person shoot it that pulled the trigger, and thought it wasn't cocked. I just tell them "no, you really do have pull very hard".

Assuming my trigger is typical of Sigs, I would recommend the Walther.

YUP

Xmil shoots my P22 and I shoot his Sig,

Both are fun guns but the Sig trigger is sooo bad that it detracts significantly from the use of the pistol.

I've had my p22 for a couple years and since I also have a SW99 I really like the P22,
    The p22 accuracy is impressive for such a short gun, function is pretty good it will hickup on some ammo but eats the cheap remington pretty well

EMC0853

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I've had a P22 for a few years now and I still like it a lot. I agree with Scutter in most jams seem to be ammo related. Since I've been using CCI High Velocity I have not had a problem. Cleaning is important with any .22 - no exception here. I'm a little obsessive on keeping it spic and span.

IMHO - for the money I don't think you can go wrong with either the Sig or the P22.

Like everything else in life, it's a matter of personal preference.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom