• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Munster, IN
    Yesterday I got a new Walther P22. After getting home, I noticed the spring on the hammer is sticking out under the hammer about 1/4 inch. It is very sharp and I have snagged my finger on it. Is this normal? I didn't notice it on the gun at the store prior to my buying it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That doesn't sound normal. I don't have my P22 handy at the moment, but I don't recall anything like that. I'd do a quick search on P22 photos to see if they match what you are seeing.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Well, I don't know if its "normal", but I just checked 2 different P22's, and both have the slightest protrusion from under the hammer, that if caught just right could snag a finger or article of clothing. The protrusion is ever so slight, and I have never had an issue with snags nor functionality through several thousand rounds. I would say if it sticks out beyond 1/16th of an inch (smallest increment on a standard tape measure), it should be looked at. If it's less than that....I have yet to see a P22 that doesn't have it.

YMMV....

ETA: Just re-read your post that indicates 1/4 inch. Either they forgot to cut it short or something is not quite right. That seems very long comparatively speaking.

RD3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I was just at a gun shop looking at a p22 this afternoon. I didn't see anything like that. I think you have a problem of some sort.

Captain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Munster, IN
    I just talked to Walther customer service...
    They said it is normal. The 1/4 inch was a guess. I was at work and the gun is at home. Looking at it now, it's more like 1/16.
    Page 45 in the p22 bible shows the spring. It does in fact stick out. It is the short end of the spring at the top in the photo.

Last edited:

kmcamp1221

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Southwest Indy. (Camby)
    Walther P22 Hammer Spring

My P22 hammer spring has a very slight protrusion in the decocked position, but not enough to bother me. I have to make an effort and try for it snag or catch on anything.
    Kevin

Top Bottom