• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danjim70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    I was thinking of getting one for my ten year old son what do you guys think good for small kid or not. And where can i get a good deal on a used one.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    :twocents:Well if it is anything like the WALTHER P22 ( sorry couldn't resist )
    It is a great gun , and with some trining he may be OK with it ...
    But for a child that young i think i would start him out with a .22 revolver ,

like maybe one of the heritage .22 's

Just a bit safer for a child that young .

IMHO :twocents::patriot:

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have been teaching my 9/10 year old nephew with a P22 all spring/summer long, and he loves it. Although the safety rules are the same, it is much easier for a child to 180 a pistol than a long gun, so it is very good way to continue to teach firearm safety and it requires a bit more caution and hand holding. But, he loves shooting it, reloads it himself, takes it to the line, inserts the clip, racks the slide, and off he goes.

I think it is a great starter pistol, and with the right ammo it will even introduce him into clearing jams safely!! :cool:

It wasn't but a few clips throught he P22, and he wanted a "supervised" shoot to try out the Glock 23. :rockwoot:

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    If he is farmiliar with rifles (e.g. 22 rifle) then I don't see why not. Ruger makes some nice 22 pistols as well that I wouldnt hesitate to get for a plinker.

I don't know your son or what he already knows, but as said before a handgun requires more responsibility, and its easier to conceal and have accidents with. If he doesn't already have some kind of 22 rifle I would definitely pick one up and train him on that first.

This is coming from someone who's first firearm was a Ruger 10/22. I love that thing to death and I still have it after over 5,000 rounds through it.

Just remember, you are responsible for your son and his handgun until hes 21 (yes, 21. It's Indiana). If he is comfortable and knowledgable about firearms and practices a lot with 22 rifles or the such, then I see no reason why not to get a Walther P22. I own one.

Not trying to knock you down on your choice, just keeping safety first in mind. I would highly recommend supervising him with a pistol especially. A Walther P22 is a great way to break him into handguns. Low recoil, cheap to shoot, easy to learn on something that the person isn't afraid of the recoil or report.

Good luck!

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    I think the old wheel gun is the only way to go with a new young shooter....
    I've got a P22, I don't really care for it, not that it's a bad pistol. I just don't like it.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    One option is to look at a Ruger Bearcat. About the same price, just a revolver. That's what I started my oldest on, and now I feel confident on letting her have a P22. Just a suggestion.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'll second the Bearcat. It's small, light, the single action makes it easier to supervise each shot fired.

And it makes a great trail gun, not just one for the kid!

We've got one, and are quite pleased with it.

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well, I also have to agree wit the P22. It is great training for safety, sight picture and avoidance of anticipation for young or new shooters; even us older ones. The only thing cheaper is dry firing.

ftbstrd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    Walther P22

I bought my 7yr old a Heritage .22 revolver and he loves it! Its perfect for a first handgun! I have had a P22 and it was awesome! It was one of the finest shooting .22 pistols I have ever owned. I recently bought my son the Ruger .22 Pre Mark model and it too is an awesome pistol! I do really miss my Walther and that will be his next pistol.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    I have been teaching my 9/10 year old nephew with a P22 all spring/summer long, and he loves it. Although the safety rules are the same, it is much easier for a child to 180 a pistol than a long gun, so it is very good way to continue to teach firearm safety and it requires a bit more caution and hand holding. But, he loves shooting it, reloads it himself, takes it to the line, inserts the magazine, racks the slide, and off he goes.

I think it is a great starter pistol, and with the right ammo it will even introduce him into clearing jams safely!! :cool:

It wasn't but a few magazines through he P22, and he wanted a "supervised" shoot to try out the Glock 23. :rockwoot:

Wasn't gonna do this but Sam got somebody on spelling so here goes...

I have never seen a P22 that takes clips is this a special model that loads from the top down???

Fixed that and the spelling error....:D

You had better buy 2 if you decide to go that way because I love mine it is an addiction!!!! Next comes the can for it..

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Wasn't gonna do this but Sam got somebody on spelling so here goes...

I have never seen a P22 that takes clips is this a special model that loads from the top down???

Fixed that and the spelling error....:D

You had better buy 2 if you decide to go that way because I love mine it is an addiction!!!! Next comes the can for it..

Touche!! :D That is grammar from a past life and I for better or worse can't stop myself from using the terms interchangeably without remorse....cause a clip is for paper or a bag of chips and a magazine is something you read, correct? :dunno:

I went ahead and got two mag's with it, and would love to add a can for it as well.

;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My 12 year old shoots a P22 at the Wednesday night shooting league down at Atterbury and does pretty well with it. It's a good gun with the right ammo. We've had trouble with some bulk stuff, but have not had a single problem with CCI Mini-Mags in almost 1000 rounds.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Wow. I can't say enough bad stuff about the P22. Even the folks that like 'em agree they are poorly made. There's a 100 page document you can find online that describes way to modify them so they will run better.
    I was thinking about getting one to train with so I borrowed a buddy's. It was bad. Mis feeds, stovepipes, FT feed ,FT fire. Had a guy offer to sell me one a coupla weeks ago when I was looking.He wanted $350 I turned him down ( after testing out my friend's)and told him I thought they were junk . He said " I know, how about $200?" Turned him down at that price too.
    I would get your son a ruger 22/45 not near as expensive and once the loaded chamber indicator is removed, it should function perfectly.

Top Bottom