• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I was at walmart today to buy .223 and they are limiting sales of .223 to 1 box per customer per day! This is crazy. The price was very good. 8 bucks a box. Has walmart done this in the past?

panderson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Yeah the same thing happened to me when I went in there too. They are also limiting the amount of the other calibers to 1 per day as well. I was speaking with the Sporting Goods lady this morning (very nice btw) and she said that before people were coming in with $5000 and cleaning them out before it even hit the shelf. Kind of a pain but if this means that other people get a chance to buy some vs going on Gunbroker then I am all for it.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I think its good that other people get a chance to buy as well, i think a limit of 3 boxes of .223 might be a little better, only buying 20 rounds a day seems low, but hey, I actually did get to buy a box, and had my girl buy a box as well, trying to get other people to go buy it for me as well!! hahahah Yeah the price is great, kudos to them for not jacking up the price like everyone else.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    At one time prior to the madness, Walmart in Linton had a 7 Box limit on ammo. May have been the person that sold it to me that day to. Seems like the Walmarts never operate on the same list of rules.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Gather-round younguns! During the great ammo shortages of aught-nine many places took to limiting ammo purchases rather than jacking prices because people would come in, buy up every box they got in, then turn around and sell them for double or triple what they paid. Now, the noobs would say that was just free-market, but what they didn't understand that a free-market relies on a level playing field and creating artificial shortages and taking advantage of that is not a level playing field and thus not free-market.

Yeah, that's how it was back in the day-creak creak creak.

Now you kids run off and play.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    They did the same thing during the panic buys 4 years ago. The reason then (and I assume partially now) is that some LGSs and some individuals were buying up all of the ammo in big chunks from Walmart, REPRICING it and selling it for profit. The limit was designed to make it easier for regular shooters to keep getting shooting supplies during the "panic".

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Was in our local Wally World today, and they have new signs up stating a limit of 3 boxes. All kinds of shotgun ammo but no one seems to want those.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    +1 to Walmart for trying to give everyone a chance to get ammo. The benefit for them is the more people that come to buy ammo, the better the chance of them buying something else while they are there.

richieray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Kewanna
    Local ammo shop is limiting purchases to 3 boxes per caliber per customer because they can not keep up with demand haft their selves are empty

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm glad that they are limiting the amount so that other people have a chance to buy some ammo. This shortage is caused by greed and by people simply hoarding. There is no need for it whatsoever. I saw it in the late 80's, the mid 90s and now. Calm down, quit buying all the ammo and let the prices stabilize and production catch up. The sky is not falling. :twocents:

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm glad that they are limiting the amount so that other people have a chance to buy some ammo. This shortage is caused by greed and by people simply hoarding. There is no need for it whatsoever. I saw it in the late 80's, the mid 90s and now. Calm down, quit buying all the ammo and let the prices stabilize and production catch up. The sky is not falling. :twocents:

^^^This. The hoarders know they can manipulate supply and as a result, make money off the demand. My guess is that the people doing this are more opportunistic than they are seriously concerned about the future. I understand the whole "free market" concept, but at the same time there is political uncertainty which is fueling the panic and people are exploiting it for pure gain.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm OK with this. The shelves at our Walmart is almost always wiped clean of the common hand gun calber stuff when I check them out. A few weeks ago, I stopped and lo-and-behold they actually had several boxes of .45's. When the lady asked if she could help, I told her what I wanted and she scoffed at me like "yeah right". She was actually surprised when I pointed them out on the shelf.

Top Bottom