• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    It certainly doesn't look like $50 worth of stuff to me. The next question... Ready for what? Car breakdown in the warm months while waiting on the tow truck?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    James Yeager just did a review on this bag. Bottom line: pretty good for $50, but you should definitely consider building your own to get better quality at a higher price.

[video=youtube_share;IDtgmy8DWec]http://youtu.be/IDtgmy8DWec[/video]

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    James Yeager just did a review on this bag. Bottom line: pretty good for $50, but you should definitely consider building your own to get better quality at a higher price.

[video=youtube_share;IDtgmy8DWec]http://youtu.be/IDtgmy8DWec[/video]

Thanks for the video. It looks like it could be pretty good for tossing in the trunk and leaving it here for a basic **** storm or haveing just enough time to toss my son in the back of the car with my rifle and and ammo to get out of dodge.

I'm also kind of thinking of getting it for my GF as well.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I pictured something more like this:

IMG_2723.JPG

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    The lifeboat rations are the part Yeager placed the most value on, and I agree with that. However, known quality US made rations with same calorie content and 5 year shelf life can be purchased from Amazon for $25. The included alkaline batteries are worthless in extreme heat and cold, and D cells are quite a bit of weight to lug for a three day kit. I'd rather have a cheap 2xAA LED flashlight with lithium AAs that will work in extreme temps. A case of .5 liter bottles of water is under $2.50. Gauze and similar medical supplies in sterile packaging from known vendors are cheap. Real Cyalumes aren't that expensive if you watch for sales. Home Depot had real US made small Leatherman tools for $20, and good quality Chinese made Coast brand folders for $7, during the Christmas shopping season. They'll no doubt have something similar around Father's Day. Good tarps are cheap. Nylon and similar synthetic cordage is cheap at any hardware or outdoor store. Mylar emergency blankets are also cheap. My alternatives would cost a little more, but I'm more confident in them.

Overall, the Wal-Mart kit looks serviceable for the price if you don't want to build your own.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Beech grove walmart had a few of these on the shelf around Christmas. I wasn't too impressed honestly. The lifeboat rations, while better than nothing, were inadequate calorie wise. The bag seemed cheap and flimsy. I priced out the contents with substitutes that were on the shelf and it came up to around $45. So in theory you could build that exact kit for a few bucks less, but you probably wouldn't want to build that exact kit anyway. For about double the price I built much better kits for Christmas gifts. Got lucky though that I was able to find quality bags at several goodwills

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The lifeboat rations are the part Yeager placed the most value on, and I agree with that. However, known quality US made rations with same calorie content and 5 year shelf life can be purchased from Amazon for $25. The included alkaline batteries are worthless in extreme heat and cold, and D cells are quite a bit of weight to lug for a three day kit. I'd rather have a cheap 2xAA LED flashlight with lithium AAs that will work in extreme temps. A case of .5 liter bottles of water is under $2.50. Gauze and similar medical supplies in sterile packaging from known vendors are cheap. Real Cyalumes aren't that expensive if you watch for sales. Home Depot had real US made small Leatherman tools for $20, and good quality Chinese made Coast brand folders for $7, during the Christmas shopping season. They'll no doubt have something similar around Father's Day. Good tarps are cheap. Nylon and similar synthetic cordage is cheap at any hardware or outdoor store. Mylar emergency blankets are also cheap. My alternatives would cost a little more, but I'm more confident in them.

Overall, the Wal-Mart kit looks serviceable for the price if you don't want to build your own.

:+1:

Top Bottom