• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Went to the stow today with my wife. Saw that they were carrying 25# bags of wheat. $15 I think. This was the Columbus store near Menards. Don't have a grain mill yet so I didn't buy any.
    Thought ya'll might wanna know.:)
    This would be cool locally huh?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytf7BGLd36Y[/ame]

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Huhn. I doubt there's many folks who know what to do with bulk wheat. Maybe you could make beer out of it.

I planted my first garden this year and have done some canning for the first time.

Sometimes I wonder if folks like me don't sort of in a way wish for some kind of natural disaster or lean times so that our resourcefulness can help us rise above our peers. I just see this in myself sometimes. I guess I feel like I don't have much money or success in the modern world. And I don't particularly have an interest in participating in much of our modern technology based culture. But if some hard times came along, I think I'd do far better than most just because I tend be a do-it-yourself kind of guy. I think sometimes I'm tempted to wish something would happen just so I could show what I can do and rise to the top a little more. Of course, I soon realize this is not a good thing to wish for on any account.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bulgur wheat is good stuff. I'm pretty sure it's just par-boiled cracked or course ground wheat.

I can eat the stuff with crushed tomatoes or green beans or anything like that.

I don't know how well it does in storage.

mmorph55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Lafayette
    Wheat, in a cool dry place could store indefinatly. They pulled it out of the pyramids, ready to be ground. If you want a good deal and store it yourself you can wait till the farmers harvest this year. I believe i picked up a few 50 lb bags last year for around $10 a bag

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Wheat, in a cool dry place could store indefinatly. They pulled it out of the pyramids, ready to be ground. If you want a good deal and store it yourself you can wait till the farmers harvest this year. I believe i picked up a few 50 lb bags last year for around $10 a bag

winter wheat harvest is done. soybeans comin up thru the stubble most places.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Huhn. I doubt there's many folks who know what to do with bulk wheat. Maybe you could make beer out of it.

KART29 - We grind our own into flour and make bread. It beats store bought. We use bulk wheat all of the time. If I ever need to switch to my emergency supply of food, it won't be much of a switch. We've actually declared a moratorium on going to the store for a month at our house, just to test things out before. The latest "test" of that happened this last April. We missed the fresh fruit and veggies (as opposed to canned) - but otherwise - no ill effects. Powdered milk is ok for cooking with - but milk consumption for drinking was down overall. :D

I guess what I'm saying is that there's a lot more people that grind their own wheat and know what to do with it than you may think. Or maybe I'm weirder than I think.... :D

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Yup, I think my next major purchase is gonna be a good grain mill. Anyone have any first hand experience with well built models/brands?

I recommend the "Wonder Junior Deluxe Hand Grain Mill". It can be had for $219.95 from Bread Machine Digest. Be sure to check out the pulley that allows it to be motorized. Hand cranked mills, even the very best, take some effort to use. Attaching it to a stationary bike with this wheel makes it nearly effortless. The spare parts kit (bushings, mainly) is another $29. You could attach it to an actual motor, but that defeats my purpose for having it at all.

I did a lot of research and settled on this mill due to its quality construction, ease of use (compared to other hand cranked mills), the ability to motorize, and the great reviews. Do your own research and let me know if you come up with a different alternative.

If you store long term food, you probably store wheat. If you store wheat, you should be grinding it and making food with it now. If you're not, you will probably not be able to post-event. Your body also wont take the adjustment too well, especially with other stress factors figured in. Eat what you store/store what you eat :twocents:

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    KART29 - We grind our own into flour and make bread. It beats store bought. We use bulk wheat all of the time. If I ever need to switch to my emergency supply of food, it won't be much of a switch. We've actually declared a moratorium on going to the store for a month at our house, just to test things out before. The latest "test" of that happened this last April. We missed the fresh fruit and veggies (as opposed to canned) - but otherwise - no ill effects. Powdered milk is ok for cooking with - but milk consumption for drinking was down overall. :D

I guess what I'm saying is that there's a lot more people that grind their own wheat and know what to do with it than you may think. Or maybe I'm weirder than I think.... :D

Awesome idea. My family is going to be doing this soon. You don't know how good your preps are until you use them. Thanks for the idea AP.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Awesome idea. My family is going to be doing this soon. You don't know how good your preps are until you use them. Thanks for the idea AP.

If I may suggest something - I got that idea from a friend of mine from church, when I lived back in California. They got a couple of families to do it at the same time. Not really as a contest but more for moral support. The kids were roughly the same ages and were buddies. The husbands and wives were both friends, so they had someone to compare notes with during the month.

Actually Mormons have a tradition called "Family Home Evening" where (usually) Monday nights are reserved for hanging out together as a family and learning etc. The two families got together on Monday nights during that month and compared notes. The kids and parents were allowed to barter with each other for stuff that was missing, etc. All in all it was a fun time. Sort of making a sport out of a good test. This works best if you have fun with it!

Kids (and parents too!) learn that this isn't about fear, gloom, and "holy crap we're all gonna die". Being prepared for what may happen is a normal and fun way of life. It is ALL in the attitude!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I recommend the "Wonder Junior Deluxe Hand Grain Mill". It can be had for $219.95 from Bread Machine Digest. Be sure to check out the pulley that allows it to be motorized. Hand cranked mills, even the very best, take some effort to use. Attaching it to a stationary bike with this wheel makes it nearly effortless. The spare parts kit (bushings, mainly) is another $29. You could attach it to an actual motor, but that defeats my purpose for having it at all.

I did a lot of research and settled on this mill due to its quality construction, ease of use (compared to other hand cranked mills), the ability to motorize, and the great reviews. Do your own research and let me know if you come up with a different alternative.

If you store long term food, you probably store wheat. If you store wheat, you should be grinding it and making food with it now. If you're not, you will probably not be able to post-event. Your body also wont take the adjustment too well, especially with other stress factors figured in. Eat what you store/store what you eat :twocents:

This is good info! We use an electric one - but we have generation to make sure that electricity is available. I've been considering going to a manually powered one since I've got four kids - two of which are at an age where they are running around like ferrets on meth... :D Might as well get some benefit from it!

And I TOTALLY agree with the "store what you eat and eat what you store" part. If you do not do this, and switch diets in the middle of a crisis, let's just say that you will have a second crisis to contend with! And so will everyone within any distance of you!

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    If you are a Sam's club member, they carry several Auganson Farms long term food storage items online. Very reasonably priced and shipping isn't too bad. Looks like there must be enough demand to put it in Wally World.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    If I may suggest something - I got that idea from a friend of mine from church, when I lived back in California. They got a couple of families to do it at the same time. Not really as a contest but more for moral support. The kids were roughly the same ages and were buddies. The husbands and wives were both friends, so they had someone to compare notes with during the month.

Actually Mormons have a tradition called "Family Home Evening" where (usually) Monday nights are reserved for hanging out together as a family and learning etc. The two families got together on Monday nights during that month and compared notes. The kids and parents were allowed to barter with each other for stuff that was missing, etc. All in all it was a fun time. Sort of making a sport out of a good test. This works best if you have fun with it!

Kids (and parents too!) learn that this isn't about fear, gloom, and "holy crap we're all gonna die". Being prepared for what may happen is a normal and fun way of life. It is ALL in the attitude!

This is probably worth more than a hundred bucks worth of supplies. If you turn "survival after the event" life into "our day as usual" life you'll have a much better practical picture of how you're doing and will have a big morale boost compared to everyone else once Schumer decides to hit the fan.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Caveman,
    I went to that same store on Tuesday this week and bought both the bags they had.
    It is Hard White Spring Wheat, 25# bag for about $14.

At somewhere near $28/bushel, it seems expensive until you consider several places sell 5 gallon (about 50#?) "super pails" for about $50.

I asked a local farmer about me getting some bulk wheat out of his bin for me to prepare and store. He said the issue is that local wheat is Soft Red Winter Wheat, which per the below info, is not good for bread.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN-371.pdf

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Actually, $14 dollars is a pretty good price. The LDS warehouse sells Hard Red and Hard White Wheat for $11.45 for a #25 bag, but Wal Mart is more accessible for most folks. Just be sure you know how to store it properly, and as discussed previously, that you know how to prepare food with it. Learn to cook with it now when mistakes only cost you a few dollars and not precious days off your food supply.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you want wheat cheap I got mine from a local feed store. It was being sold as animal feed. What this means is that it was not cleaned but also not treated. Basically it was taken straight from the field and bagged. It was $5.45 when the mormons were selling it for around $10. Granted the mormons triple clean theirs. Feed store wheat has to be winnowed then washed and dried. I am in Fort Wayne and get mine from Milan feed and Seed. I have a family grain mill. The kids have fun taking turns and while the power is on I have an attchment for my Kitchenaid.

Top Bottom