Visiting the "Land of Lincoln" for a few days...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    And I'm double-checking to make sure I don't break any laws while I'm there... But at the same time I hate having to feel vulnerable, particularly when I'm going to be in a strange place, hours from home, and in a cheap motel.
    So far I've gathered I can have my loaded(?) handgun in the vehicle with me as long as I have a LTCH (I do). When I leave the vehicle, If i take said handgun with me, it need to be in a locked container..?
    I DO NOT need to inform any Illinois LE if confronted during a traffic stop, and I WILL NOT.

Am I missing anything? Or did I misinterpret something? Any advice is appreciated, I loathe having to visit this state...

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    IANAL but I am an Illinois resident. From reading the law, You can have your loaded handgun in the car with you (just like you said). HOWEVER, when you leave your car you can't just carry the LOADED firearm with you in a locked container.

The "locked container" provision specifically dealt with leaving the gun in your car. When you leave your car, your LOADED gun must either stay in the locked vehicle OR be in a locked case in a locked vehicle. So if you lock your car (like most of us do) you can put the gun under the seat if you want. However if you leave your car unlocked, the gun must be in a container that is locked (like a locked glove compartment).

Here is the statute:
    ...If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle orlocked container within the vehicle in accordance withsubsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0063.pdf Look specifically at section 40, part e.

I have never heard of non-residents being able to walk on the street with a loaded firearm, so long as the firearm is in a locked container. I know that for Illinois residents we have something called "FOID Carry" AKA "transport carry" AKA "6 seconds to safety". Basically it allows an Illinois resident with a valid FOID card to carry an unloaded firearm in a container (like a purse or fanny pack). It was called "6 seconds to safety" because the theory was that in a threat situation a person could retrieve and load their firearm from their fanny pack in 6 seconds. IIRC this is what CCW holders have to do when they ride public transportation, because it is a restricted area. I do not know if transport carry applies to non-residents.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Ok so as long as the weapon doesn't leave the vehicle I'm good? Thank you for correcting me and clarifying that, I don't feel entirely comfortable leaving a loaded weapon in my vehicle overnight, but I do have a decent handgun lockbox with a metal cable that I could loop around part of underneath the seat. I'll take this compromise I suppose for safety, I was surprised to find out I could even have a gun in Illinois, so I suppose one in the car is better then nothing.
    As for leaving the vehicle with the weapon, I was more referring to taking the loaded locked up gun into my motel room, more than carrying around a gun safe on the streets :):. I'm sure it makes no difference legally though.

Thanks again!
    Any additional advice is appreciated from anyone!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    To have the handgun in your hotel room you must transport it legally from your vehicle to the room this can be done in a case as long as the firearm is unloaded. As long as the firearm is unloaded the case does not have to be locked. if you placed the firearm inside a case then lock the case it does not have to be unloaded, this meets the condition of "not immediately accesable." Once you are inside your room you are in your abode and it may be loaded and acessable. If in a traffic stop you must inform ONLY if the officer asks but if asked you must inform. Jim.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom