• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Hey there.

Every once in a while, I go to Michigan to visit friends. I usually have a folding knife with me, but was told last time I went that it was illegal since it was too long.

I don't remember the length, but I'd like to know what length (and type, since I don't think folding is allowed either) knife would be legal in Michigan.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    3 inch maximum, no assisted opening of any kind (double check that but I am pretty confident), and you cannot carry it with the intent to do harm or use in self defense. I lived there for 23 years, its dumb, I know.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Hey there.

Every once in a while, I go to Michigan to visit friends. I usually have a folding knife with me, but was told last time I went that it was illegal since it was too long.

I don't remember the length, but I'd like to know what length (and type, since I don't think folding is allowed either) knife would be legal in Michigan.

Folders are legal as long as the blade length does not exceed 3 inches. Here is the Michigan code.

MCL 750.226 Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.

IMO, the wording is pretty stupid....."with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another". You could interpret that as being there is no blade length law as long as you don't have intent to use the knife unlawfully. I wouldn't push the issue, just keep your blade at 3 inches or less.:twocents:

Edit: Assisted knives are legal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Ok. Seems I need something with a three inch blade. Preferably something that has a loop I can put a keyring through.

Anyone here have anything like that, that they'd recommend?

jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Gun and Knife shows have knives, including folding, of lengths greater than 3 inches, vendors are not selling illegal knives. The 'intent' clause causes the confusion.

Spring assist knives are also sold. Oddly, judges across the state of Michigan have differed on the spring assist knives, some saying it's a switchblade, which is definitely illegal. Some judges realize that a switchblade is a knife with a button to automatically open the knife. Spring assist requires the user to initially open and the spring assists in the opening.

Individual localities, such as Detroit, have there own laws concerning knives and it may be simply a length issue.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    you can carry blades longer than 3 inch, just don't do it if you plan on harming anyone. It's an odd law, I know.

Spring assist if fine as you touch the blade to open it. It's the push the button to open that are the problem.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom