• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I go to second hand stores on Saturday mornings with my wife.

Today we pulled up at the store and got out, I normally CC there becauce I "may" have heard that they are not necessarily OC frindly. But I forgot my light cover and it was really warm. There are no signs posted so I went in. I mean what is the worst that can happen? They may ask me to leave, so I tell them they have lost a customer and leave, right?

Well, I walk through the store and pick up a couple of items. Walking through the aisles, excusing myself(very crowded), smiling at folks, not trying to be noticed and not trying to hide. One lady says "you're smart, I left mine in the car. There were lots of people there and lots of empooyees. No one recoiled or even acted as if they noticed.

My wife told me she was ready to go so we went to the check out and were standing there chatting with the check out lady, who recognized us as regulars but didn't realize we were married.

Just before we were finished a police officer, wearing body armor (sans helmet and M16), walks up to the supervisor three feet away from me and says someone called about a MWAG. Is he still here? She says "yeah, I'll get the manager". I am standing there looking at the cop, I have two stsinless 8 round kimber .45 mags on my left hip facing him and a full size 1911 in an OWB holster, cat 1, on my right. Another officer walks up and they are both standing within ten feet of me with their hands on hips/gun but scanning the crowd.

I paid, told the checker to have a nice day, picked up my bag, turned to my left with my right side toward both officers and exited. On the way to the car I walked intentionally calmly and told my wife what had just occourred. We got in the car and exited the lot just as one of the two big black SUV's whipped out of the east parking lot and drove to the west lot we had just vacated.

I have not seen any Hammond Police in SUV's before this. Does anyone know if those may be SWAT vehicles.

BTW I was not trying to make any kind of statement, and am glad that I avoided a confrontation. I just thought it wac a pretty good story.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I go their to check out some things and I always carry sometimes OC sometimes CC .The Hammond police do have SUV.s they drive on patrols not swat units .

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I've never had a problem there carrying, I wonder who called the police? If it was a customer or employee. But I always carry there, some of the people I've seen in there are kinda shady.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I go to second hand stores on Saturday mornings with my wife.

Today we pulled up at the store and got out, I normally CC there becauce I "may" have heard that they are not necessarily OC frindly. But I forgot my light cover and it was really warm. There are no signs posted so I went in. I mean what is the worst that can happen? They may ask me to leave, so I tell them they have lost a customer and leave, right?

Well, I walk through the store and pick up a couple of items. Walking through the aisles, excusing myself(very crowded), smiling at folks, not trying to be noticed and not trying to hide. One lady says "you're smart, I left mine in the car. There were lots of people there and lots of empooyees. No one recoiled or even acted as if they noticed.

My wife told me she was ready to go so we went to the check out and were standing there chatting with the check out lady, who recognized us as regulars but didn't realize we were married.

Just before we were finished a police officer, wearing body armor (sans helmet and M16), walks up to the supervisor three feet away from me and says someone called about a MWAG. Is he still here? She says "yeah, I'll get the manager". I am standing there looking at the cop, I have two stsinless 8 round kimber .45 mags on my left hip facing him and a full size 1911 in an OWB holster, cat 1, on my right. Another officer walks up and they are both standing within ten feet of me with their hands on hips/gun but scanning the crowd.

I paid, told the checker to have a nice day, picked up my bag, turned to my left with my right side toward both officers and exited. On the way to the car I walked intentionally calmly and told my wife what had just occourred. We got in the car and exited the lot just as one of the two big black SUV's whipped out of the east parking lot and drove to the west lot we had just vacated.

I have not seen any Hammond Police in SUV's before this. Does anyone know if those may be SWAT vehicles.

BTW I was not trying to make any kind of statement, and am glad that I avoided a confrontation. I just thought it wac a pretty good story.

I call BS!! No one needs to carry TWO extra mags for a .45

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Yeah, SUV's are new issue, and not S.W.A.T., though it IS possible, at any given time the LEO driving it may also be one of the guys on the S.W.A.T. team. Just depends who it was.

They weren't looking for blue falcon. They thought they had a call about an ILLEGAL MWAG, a criminal. Nothing for them to be concerned about with a law-abiding citizen carrying a gun, OC or CC.

Stated this in another post. Around here, no one cares. OC or CC, whatever your choice is. Don't raise a big fuss about it, and no one notices, or cares. Law-abiding citizens are SUPPOSED to be carrying guns.

I must see 20 - 50 people a day around here packing guns. Personally, I don't care if everyone, including YOUR Sweet Grandma ('cause Grandmas are ALWAYS sweet. Well, almost always!) has a gun.

They DO care about bad guys with guns. So, if you see bad guys with guns in Hammond, please call 911 or 853-6490 right away.

And just generally speaking, seen more than one video of a perpetrator taking multiple hits from handguns, in one case, multiple hits from a 12 ga. and not 'falling down dead'. So don't automatically presume 7 - 8 rnds. from a .45 is gonna 'do the trick'. You could be dead wrong.

Here's just one example, BG hit 14 times with a .45, linked in a different thread: Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

:yesway: To blue falcon for carrying extra mags.

Uh, DON'T call on your OC'ing or CC'ing buddy 'as a prank', please!

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    MG, you do realize that sheeple call MWAG for us legal carriers too, and blue falcon was exactly who they were calling on?

Of course the responding LEOs saw (maybe) a normal guy OC paying and leaving and didn't overreact, but that sheeple did.

It's been said here numerous times that MWAG calls (especially like this one) would be handled better if the call taker would just ask what the MWAG is doing with it. Carrying in a holster, shopping with the wife should not elicit the response (like this one) that "waving it around, screaming at people randomly" or "shooting people with it" should.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    MG ive rarely ever seen OCers like myself and Ive had a handful of negative encounters with leos, and isnt Hammond like the only place with an "assault weapons" ban still on the books? Not sure what you mean....

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    1. MG, I was in no way trying to start an OC/CC argument. I realy don't care how YOU carry. OC, CC, IWB, OWB Or IR (titra rectal).

B. I thought the story funny, that's all.

3. 7.62 Russianor Nato? Ihad just read the cop (Switched from .45 to 9mm) who carries 145 rounds before I read your post.

Lastly. Hammer, My thought was that they were inattentive. Thanks for pointing out they may have seen and assessed me as no threat.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    MG ive rarely ever seen OCers like myself and Ive had a handful of negative encounters with leos, and isnt Hammond like the only place with an "assault weapons" ban still on the books? Not sure what you mean....
    No, never had one; at least not in the 18 years I've lived here. They do have other stupid, illegal ordinances on the books though.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My understanding is that they capitulated and now accept the state preemption law.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I call BS!! No one needs to carry TWO extra mags for a .45
    Older thread, but yeah 2-45acp mags in a mag case are standard carry for me too. I have met the above guys at Meet and Eats, and always carry that way.
    Only hint that you keep a blue jean shirt(loose fit and faded) in your car trunk and throw it over your EDC.
    So true that the sheep panic call the police on legal carry guys. Waste of resources to send 8 cops on a MWAG

Top Bottom