• ...and so much more!
  • CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Wasnt sure where to put this....

About 15 years ago my great uncle died, he and I were very close, and he was a
    well decorated servant of our country in World War 2. He was shot in combat and
    made it back to the states eventually. By the time I got to form a relationship
    with him, I was very young, 15 minus 21 is 6, that's how old I was when he died.
    Which I believe speaks to the impact he had in me.

I still have fond memories of visiting him, sitting on his legless lap in his
    wheel chair and listening to stories. Even then I knew how important what he had
    to say was even though I'm not sure I understood what he was telling me
    entirely. When he passed, he left me a pocket watch he carried his whole life,
    and while I would never, ever even consider getting rid of it, one thing I held
    in my hand whenever I visited him was his Purple Heart. My mom always explained
    to me that he was a hero at that age so that item just felt important, sometimes
    I can still feel it in my hand. One of those shiny things raccoon children like
    myself just want to put in our shiny box

Anyway, on his death bed his step daughter stole all of his medals, and military
    related gear and sold them. Had him cremated and then threw away the ashes. Not
    sure if its crack or what it is she needed money for but his step daughter has
    never been seen in our family since.

I've always wanted to purchase another Purple Heart to replace it, so I've kept
    an eye out, several pawn shops have come and passed, I've seen so many medals
    and awards it just sickens me. Who are these people who sell theses badges of
    honor? Are they family members who don't care, Vets who NEED the money because
    of financial situations?

I was talking to my roommates about it last night and came to a conclusion, I
    have no interest in purchasing a "replacement" Purple Heart. I don't want to
    support buying them from someone, it was earned through blood sweat and tears.
    Travis(sausagecake) mentioned last night posting this on here with the intent to
    start a Non for profit organization for Vets or family's with medals or at least
    get some ideas on ways to help.

Any ideas? I hate to go to pawnshops where medals and awards just sit under a
    case, nameless, and uncounted for , there is a story behind everything and it
    needs to be told. I want these people's stories to be told forever.

Travis had mentioned trying to hook up with a museum to see if maybe there could
    be a room dedicated to it, so that veterans and family's who either have passed
    on, or need money could instead donate the badges, where they can always be seen
    and that way in the future when their grandchildren go to the museum they can
    see what grandpa put his life on the line for.

Travis other idea was contacting Steven Colbert to see if he could air it, as he
    has always been very pro troop and we both feel like if we could get Steven
    Colbert to actually understand an idea we could generate he would be all about it

I know some vets would rather die then give up these, when I worked at the
    homeless shelter here in Lafayette we had gentlemen who still wore them day in
    and day out as if they were still in the war. I still have memories of some of
    the Vets from there, miss them a lot too.

Any ideas? Does something like this currently already exist? Anyone else interested?

Top Bottom