• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    So lets say your walking down the street and some dude gets up in your face. The muzzle contact. You instinctively look for a weapon. You notice his hand in it is a small handgun. What do you do? Since you have a right to defend yourself you neutralize the threat but how? What tactic do you use to take out a target at point blank? What i practice at the range is draw pistol fire 2 times from hip then raise to get a clean shot at his head or center mass as he staggers back if he was hit.

Last edited:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Hand to hand tactics are just as important if not maybe even more-so than handgun tactics. Considering drawing your weapon should be your last resort in an altercation, there's a very good chance most will begin with some sort of hand to hand contact before you draw.

For your scenario; If he already has a gun in his hand, he's obviously going to be able to use it before you will get to yours. I would attempt to isolate the hand with the weapon, before attempting to draw. If he's pointing the weapon at you, raise your hands like your surrenduring, once he assumes youve surrendured , drive your forearm into his wrist, pushing the weapon across his body, (ex. If weapon is in his right hand, hit with your left if your facing him) ( if he's behind you: with your hands up, glance back and check which hand has the weapon, if its in his right, turn back striking his wrist with your right forearm.) Once you have driven his arm and weapon across his body, take control of the hand/arm with the weapon and drive him to ground with an armbar takedown.

Technique for Armbar takedown: If you have taken control of his right arm, grip his wrist with your right hand, and drive your forearm into his tricep as hard as possible. While doing that, swing your right leg back in a "C" shape, like dragging and driving him to the ground. Once hes on the ground, he should be face first, kneel on his back with his arm between your legs. Once you are in this position there are a lot of things you can do to him to make him very uncomfortable. Im not going to get into all that though, because from here, you could just draw your handgun if you still felt threatened.

And just so you know im not making some movie ninja stuff up. Im a Marine Corps Martial Arts Instructor. If done properly this really does work. And it is a very breif descritiption of one of our Brown Belt Techniques.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Hand to hand tactics are just as important if not maybe even more-so than handgun tactics. Considering drawing your weapon should be your last resort in an altercation, there's a very good chance most will begin with some sort of hand to hand contact before you draw.

For your scenario; If he already has a gun in his hand, he's obviously going to be able to use it before you will get to yours. I would attempt to isolate the hand with the weapon, before attempting to draw. If he's pointing the weapon at you, raise your hands like your surrenduring, once he assumes youve surrendured , drive your forearm into his wrist, pushing the weapon across his body, (ex. If weapon is in his right hand, hit with your left if your facing him) ( if he's behind you: with your hands up, glance back and check which hand has the weapon, if its in his right, turn back striking his wrist with your right forearm.) Once you have driven his arm and weapon across his body, take control of the hand/arm with the weapon and drive him to ground with an armbar takedown.

Technique for Armbar takedown: If you have taken control of his right arm, grip his wrist with your right hand, and drive your forearm into his tricep as hard as possible. While doing that, swing your right leg back in a "C" shape, like dragging and driving him to the ground. Once hes on the ground, he should be face first, kneel on his back with his arm between your legs. Once you are in this position there are a lot of things you can do to him to make him very uncomfortable. Im not going to get into all that though, because from here, you could just draw your handgun if you still felt threatened.

And just so you know im not making some movie ninja stuff up. Im a Marine Corps Martial Arts Instructor. If done properly this really does work. And it is a very breif descritiption of one of our Brown Belt Techniques.

Forgot about the 2 most importent weapons, and to think I took martial arts for 4 years. Semper Fi.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...What i practice at the range is draw pistol fire 2 times from hip then raise to get a clean shot at his head or center mass as he staggers back if he was hit.

During your draw, he should have had ample time to put 3 or 4 in your chest and a couple more in your head as you staggered back from the hits. ;)

I agree that initially deflecting/controlling the weapon pointed at you at contact distance must take priority over any attempt at introducing your own tools to the mix.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    If you want to learn about the 0-3 foot gunfight take SouthNarc's ECQC class.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7cbMxGMLs[/ame]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The definition of point blank range

You mean that he is within 300 yards if I carry a .308?

I think you need to look up a definition.:D There is an enormous distinction between point blank range and muzzle contact range.

What tactic do you use to take out a target at point blank?

Put the front post in center of mass and press the trigger.

What i practice at the range is draw pistol fire 2 times from hip then raise to get a clean shot at his head or center mass as he staggers back if he was hit.

You better do this from all kinds of positions.

Most gunfighting at sexual range is done on the ground IME.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Can't find the link...........TV show about some CA jewelry store owner that shot and killed badguys repeatedly, once when a BG had a gun to his head.

Tough old dude!

Found it!

[ame]http://youtu.be/pkWgp2abM2w[/ame]

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What i practice at the range is draw pistol fire 2 times from hip then raise to get a clean shot at his head or center mass as he staggers back if he was hit.
    You're a dead man then...

The only thing that saves your from this is he doesn't have the will-power to pull the trigger or the gun jams.

If he already has his gun on you there is absolutely no possible way for you "outdraw" him... hand-to-hand is the only way to approach this IMHO. Just think about it, put yourself in his position, if you have a gun on somebody and that guy starts to reach for something, you're gonna be pulling the trigger aren't you? You will already have 2-3 shots off before the gun even starts to come out of the holster, and another 2-3 off before the gun comes up and is aimed at you. It's a losing situation to even attempt to draw.

He's already done you a favor by getting so close & personal. You obviously can't fight hand-to-hand if somebody has a gun drawn on you but they are outside of arms reach. If he is inside arms reach you're golden. But to even attempt to explain how to disarm him over the internet would be pointless and possibly get you killed. You need instruction & practice, in person, with dummy guns.

I can tell you that the solution probably involves his gun firing at least once, but your goal is to not be in the way when it fires. Gaining control of his gun, deflecting the muzzle away & moving your body to the side an into the attacker all in a split second is along the lines of what you should be doing. It's the refinement of these techniques though that will end good or bad.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    As a shooter and martial artist, I am shocked and disappointed that noon has mentioned the technique of "scream like a little girl". This technique has proven useful to me and to others in numerous confrontations on a wide variety of fronts:

1: a friend of a friend who was a SEAL in the sandbox said he uses the SLaLG to disarm and disorient insurgents

2: see the CQC textbook chapter titled "junior high bullies".

3: the Power Rangers.

I rest my case.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    As others have mentioned, don't let your training stop with gun fighting. Practice, practice. Don't rely on having a gun in your hand as the only line of defense. Snapped broom stick, broken chair, rock, anything is a weapon.

Top Bottom