• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, if you have your LTCH (which I do) there is no exact way on transporting your pistol while in your vehicle? I am just wondering if it has to be holstered or not? Part of this thread is a law question and the other part is me being curious as to how people carry while driving in their vehicle.

Most of the time I'm driving my car I keep my pistol holstered on my side. I figure it's a little safer way to transport and if I were to get car-jacked I would be able to shoot the thief as he (tried) to get away after he pulled me from my car. But when I leave the gym I have my shorts on (no place for a holster) and I simply put my pistol (pointing down) between my seat and the armrest area because it fits perfect and if I need it, it's a lot quicker draw as opposed to drawing from my OWB holster.
    I don't think I'm doing anything illegal when I have it pointed down, unholstered between my seat and the armrest??? If anyone has any tips on a good way to carry while driving in your vehicle please share.

:popcorn:

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Law doesn't state how you carry in your car, it's your preference.

However, you said you would shoot a car thief? You do realize you'd go to jail for murder don't you? Your life and health are not in jeopardy at that point so you have no justifiable self defense reason to shoot. The car is just a thing, let it go and let insurance handle it.

Now, if you shot him while he was attacking you in your car, that's because you were in fear for your life. But afterwards? That's a whole different story.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Law doesn't state how you carry in your car, it's your preference.

However, you said you would shoot a car thief? You do realize you'd go to jail for murder don't you?

An attack on an occupied vehichle is a forcible felony and it would be a "good shoot" to stop that attack. IANAL... this is my opinion only.

edit: after reading your entire post, I see you already understand this.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    An attack on an occupied vehichle is a forcible felony and it would be a "good shoot" to stop that attack. IANAL... this is my opinion only.

edit: after reading your entire post, I see you already understand this.
    Right, during the attack, you would most likely be justified. But, the reason I spoke the way I did was because the OP said
    Most of the time I'm driving my car I keep my pistol holstered on my side. I figure it's a little safer way to transport and if I were to get car-jacked I would be able to shoot the thief as he (tried) to get away after he pulled me from my car.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't think I'm doing anything illegal when I have it pointed down, unholstered between my seat and the armrest??? If anyone has any tips on a good way to carry while driving in your vehicle please share.

No, there is no statute as to how to carry (open, concealed, shoulder rig, in your pocket, under your hat, etc.).

Tips? Sure, have you ever been in a car wreck or say stopped short suddenly?

Where did everything that was not secured end up? Right, the floor. On the seat and then to the footwell.

Put your pistol in the holster on your belt where it belongs. When you stop short or end up in an mva, your pistol will not go flying. (Remember the Miami Shootout in 1986? One of the FBI agents was combat ineffective as spent the fight looking for his pistol as he took it out of his holster and under his leg [just like the movies--tacticool]. The pistol went flying when the FBI ran Platt and Mattix off the road. Don't be the fool and be tacticool; be smart and keep that thing in its holster).

You can drive or you can shoot, but not both. Shooting while seated behind the wheel its own goat rodeo and takes training.

pankake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    SE Indy
    Thefts from gym locations are high as most people leave a lot of valuable items in their cars so if you leave it in the vehicle, just keep that in mind.

For our trips, I mounted an opposite hand holster under the dash. I'm a right handed shooter so I got a left handed Fobus. Comes out easily and naturally when in the driver's seat but more difficult when standing in the door. I also bought a safe that mounts inside my back door as no vehicle will keep a thief out, and though the safe can still be pried out, a thief will have to spend more time to get it. If I leave the gun in the Jeep or car, the gun gets locked up in the safe or glovebox.

As for shooting someone trying to carjack ya, I automatically assume they are armed and who knows whether they would kill you or not. It's all in how you can articulate to the jury the fear you felt for your life and the family/friends with you.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    As others have said, the law is silent on how you carry in your car. Your choice.

As for the rest, I'll shoot someone to carjack me. But if through a failure of situational awareness I get yanked out and I'm sitting on my butt in the road, I'm not opening fire (assuming my family isn't in the car.) At that point, it's a job for the cops. As anyone who has seen my truck can attest, it'll be easy to pick out of a crowd on the road LOL.

YukYuPhat

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    the other part is me being curious as to how people carry while driving in their vehicle.

If anyone has any tips on a good way to carry while driving in your vehicle please share.

:popcorn:

Welcome to CarSeatHolster.com

That is what I have in my primary vehicle. In my secondary vehicle (wife's car) I would just holster carry. I say would because I am still waiting on my LTCH. But don't get me started on that! :xmad:

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the help everyone. Now I see the issue on opening fire after someone has taken your car, not a good idea.

YukYuPhat...that car seat holster isn't a bad idea....I'll look into that.

pankake...starting today my carry gun goes with me into the gym. My gym doesn't appear to be in a bad area, but they do have signs in the locker room that say "don't leave valuables in your car"

pankake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    SE Indy
    Any area is open to vehicle break-ins, gyms, shopping centers, restaraunts, bars, apartments and housing additions are preferred. The better the neighborhood, the better theives make out. It seems the better the neighborhood the less they protect themselves.

Top Bottom