• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    That is a very nice door! But I bet the concrete walls to go with are expensive. I like the first room!:rockwoot:
    18613317.jpg

This one!

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Smith makes very good doors, and they were one of the top contenders when I was considering my vault door, but price ultimately won out. With their 'ale-carte' ordering system, the prices goes up VERY fast on all the small stuff.

Check out Sturdy vault doors as well; much cheaper alternative and at least they're willing to answer some questions on the security features. I couldn't get Smiths to give me a straight answer on re-lockers, hardplates etc.

IndyTech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Goodness, I don't think I need a vault room just yet. But definitely something one could add to their "one of these days" list!!

I've always wanted to build in a hidden room with some sort of fortified door, I guess if I ever get to build the room, I know where to find the door!!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    But I bet the concrete walls to go with are expensive.

If you are building a house and will have a basement just put it in the basement and then the only extra concrete you would need is the wall that has the door.

When it comes to the ceiling I don't think concrete would be needed..... but I could be wrong.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    it is unless you want someone chopping through your floor to get into it.
    Not to mention that without the concrete ceiling you lose all the benefits of fire protection that a vault provide.

IMHO, a vault that isn't concrete on all 6 sides is useless other than concealing the guns. It will only protect them from a smash and grab robbery. Anybody with a little time can cut through the floor above, or fire will quickly destroy them.

BTW, search some of the threads over in the "Safes & Home Security" section of arfcom; lots of good info there.
    Safes & Home Security - AR15.COM

If you really want to take security to the max you need 12" concrete with several layers of rebar, and ABSOLUTELY need rebar on the inside 2 inches of the wall. Most concrete saws on the market will only cut 8" deep or so, and that last 4 inches of concrete reinforced with the rebar will save your valuables.

Stainless steel doors will prevent torch cutting (torches will not cut through ss), but won't help against thermal lances or plasma cutters. But most thieves won't know this ahead of time and they will most often just bring a torch if they know you have a vault. SS also work hardens so it is a bit more difficult to cut with abrasive cutting tools as well.

BTW ranger, I owe you rep on so many different threads/posts that I'm just going to start repping you on random posts (can't keep track of them all) whenever it lets me rep you again.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    There are ways to make a wall/ceiling fire resistant and secure without concrete. Several layers of drywall with expanded metal sandwiched between the layers really will slow someone down.

Concrete is ideal, but if you have to make do, it is possible.

it is unless you want someone chopping through your floor to get into it.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I'd do concrete all the way around but have it separate from the rest. In case the house burns you can get a crane and lift it out of the house for another house. Have your normal outside basement walls then build on inside those walls and above the basement floor as well. Just basically a concrete box in the basement. With some sort of hooks on top to lift it out with. When I win the lottery this is what I'll do.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'd do concrete all the way around but have it separate from the rest. In case the house burns you can get a crane and lift it out of the house for another house. Have your normal outside basement walls then build on inside those walls and above the basement floor as well. Just basically a concrete box in the basement. With some sort of hooks on top to lift it out with. When I win the lottery this is what I'll do.
    IMHO, not worth the trouble. Just pour new concrete when you build the new house. It will cost you just as much to move that concrete box as it will to pour new. And that if it's a smaller vault. What about a large one?

My vault is 8' X 27' That would take a pretty good crane and very well engineered lift-points to pick up and move it, especially with 12" thick concrete walls.

Rough calculations put that box in at 160,000 lbs (that's with a 6" floor and 12" walls and ceiling).

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you are building a house and will have a basement just put it in the basement and then the only extra concrete you would need is the wall that has the door.

When it comes to the ceiling I don't think concrete would be needed..... but I could be wrong.

We did just that in our new home. We actually just completed the vault cieling which also serves as part of the front porch slab. ;)

I plan to pick up my door from Smith's in early November to install, and will post pics when I do!

Top Bottom