• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is the upcoming National Sales Tax, also known as the Value-Added Tax, or V.A.T., Nancy Pelosi recently said the option was clearly on the table. This tax will be a costly burden on the American way of life.

If I understand the VAT correctly, it is a sneaky and confusing tax. Different items will receive different levels of taxation, based on how complicated they are to produce. So the average person has a hard time getting a straight answer about how much tax they are paying.

Items will be taxed for every step of the refining, manufacturing, and sales process. So for example, the VAT would drive up the cost of an automobile dramatically, since there are many taxes applied in refining the steel, many taxes applied in creating the car, and still more taxes applied in selling the car.

This will cause average people to not afford most such products anymore. It will devastate our economy even further. It will reduce our standard of living and create more poverty.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6JDpw8a2Hk"]YouTube - The Value Added Tax: A Hidden New Tax to Finance Much Bigger Government[/ame]

YES WE CAN

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The plan is working.
    Constantly increase spending and government debt.
    Constantly increase taxes to stifle the economy, but tell the peons it is to reduce the debt.
    Constantly increase give-away programs and government services telling the peons it is needed because of the bad economy.
    Continue until the there are riots in the streets.
    Declare martial law "for your own safety."
    Cancel all elections for the same reason.
    Require prayers and songs of adoration to Obama.

Doug

Last edited:

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    I think it is sad to see we are well on our way to failing just like the Roman Empire did. Does anyone have the stats on how many government employees there are and how many people receive support from the government? IIRC, rome had a total of 2/3rds of its population working for or supported by the government when it started to fall apart. It would be interesting to see where we are.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I can't see how anyone could think a fat VAT, on top of already-steep taxes, could do anything BUT tank the economy.

I assume the response to that concern is, "Oh, but it'd only be 0.1% at each step," or some similarly low number. But didn't income-tax opponents give dire warnings like, "It won't be long and the top bracket will be, gasp, the highway-robbery sum of 8 to 10%"?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I can't see how anyone could think a fat VAT, on top of already-steep taxes, could do anything BUT tank the economy.

They're not interested in the economy. They're interested in making sure their pet projects are funded. With your money. If "the government" needs money the only way they know how to get it is to tax.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I haven't heard of a SINGLE Porter country resident that wants this. And the no signs are adding up. I don't know how this will pass with all of the people against it.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I haven't heard of a SINGLE Porter country resident that wants this. And the no signs are adding up. I don't know how this will pass with all of the people against it.

Are you referring to the RTA referendum? Thats a different tax, a county tax. The VAT is a Federal Sales Tax. If we had anti-VAT signs up in Porter County, I would be very impressed.

Lets hope neither of them pass. The RTA is by no means going to be easy to put down. There are people who stand to make money off of developing land around the train. Even though they are not footing the bill for the train, the taxpayers are. Also, young people seem to think it would wonderful to have trains going all over the place. They have not entered the workforce yet and don't realize how much of a burden taxes already are.

The RTA will be tough to defeat, since it requires 2/4 counties to accept it in order for it to pass, but it takes 3/4 counties to reject it. The odds are in the RTA's favor.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    I think it is sad to see we are well on our way to failing just like the Roman Empire did. Does anyone have the stats on how many government employees there are and how many people receive support from the government? IIRC, rome had a total of 2/3rds of its population working for or supported by the government when it started to fall apart. It would be interesting to see where we are.

I read a stat somewhere that 25,000 additional government jobs were created this past year (IIRC it was stimulus money).
    Heck the FBI hired 2,000 more SAs (accounting and CS) from March to Aug 2009.

Just another bubble that will pop.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

1.8 million federal workers (Federal Government, Excluding the Postal Service) which means it's the nation's largest employer per the link.
    1.47 million active duty militray (United States armed forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    1.45 million reserve military

So add these together as we have:
    4.72 million fed workers

US population is 304 million (07/08 per Google - public data)

So 4.72 / 304 = 0.0155 or 1.55% of population works for US government.

Not sure where to get the welafre assiatance number.
    In 2005 this website says 2 million
    How many people receive welfare? - Do You Know at GovSpot.com
    So lets do crazy and have it has 3x by 2009 (due to econemy) so we have 6 million.

Now we can porbably also add those below the povery line as another way to get how many people are being helped by the gov. based on this we have 37 million in 2005.
    File:Poverty 59 to 05.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if we add 4.72 + 6 + 36 = 46.72 million

46.72 / 304 = 15.4% which is still 50% away from the 2/3 of rome.
    So we still have some room to grow. :D

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    your forgetting about a great many people:

public school teachers are supported by the federal government, as are all of their support staff and administration.

those on unemployment are currently supported by the federal government

those on social security, medicare or medicaid are supported by the feds

food stamps are from the feds

state and local governments are funded partially by the feds

dnr is supported by the feds

police, fire and other public workers are also supported by the feds.

acorn receives federal funding

technically, wall street, big banking and gm/chrysler are supported by the government now too.

the list goes on.............

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    On the VAT tax, manufacture tax!
    Most items you will find now days are NOT manufactured here in the states. If at all they are just assembled here. Even the steel we are using comes from overseas.
    So as I am understanding here is I am being taxed on the cost of chinese manufacturing? Taxed For Mexico growing my Tomatoes?
    Go ahead feel free to add to the list!
    Can the taxes that I have to pay be based on another countrys costs. I thought taxes were for and assessed on US?

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Two things-

Earned Income Credit is a government dole.

The reason for VAT is that a sales tax would probably fall before any Constitutional court...

Top Bottom