• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Let me start off first by saying, this class is possibly my favorite that I have taken so far. Reid Heinrichs is by far the most humble, honorable man I've had the pleasure to meet. The man does not have an ego like some others. The property is 81 acres deep in the hills and mountains of the Cumberland Gap Harrogate/Tazewell area. Dealt with some mid to upper 90's temps so that was a good challenge to deal with.

I took off work early on Wednesday at midnight of August 16th to get the car loaded and get a nap before heading and, never got a wink of sleep had been up since noon the day before. I was hurting from the git go. The gate doesn't open until 0830 in the morning, so a handful of The class is broken up into a few classroom sessions broken up between all of the range time you have. Reid's basis on training revolves around real world situations. Basically ID bad guy, set yourself up, and eliminate. He does not recommend all of the new high speed ninja gear, just as little as needed to be efficient in taking care of business.

"If you do not fire and maneuver, you will be maneuvered and fired upon."

Reid touches on attitude and fundamentals when approaching the class. It is considered a introductory class, so it is nothing too difficult but he challenges you to test your mindset and think about all around you. Basic zeros out to 100 yards are what you start with and it just jumps in from there. Positioning and hold overs at range are drilled until done correctly, then you head out to 200 to 300 yards to find your hits. From here on out it is all about fundamentals and mindset. More movement, shifting, and positions at various ranges in close proximity with your classmates will make much of the class...I was apprehensive but everything was closely watched by all, really met some fantastic people all the while getting worn out. Did stoppage drills and some team stuff toward the end which was enjoyable. They really put you to the test moving and shooting at 7-300 yards the whole time.

All rifles were front slung hot the whole class which is part of the mindset bit he instill in you over your two days...you are constantly checking your safety and you always know where your muzzle is. Totally different from most all classes I have taken, it was odd at first, but the 13 of us students, were damn good on control and not being stupid...had all walks of life taking the class, even the Democratic senate leader of Kentucky.

Many of the students wore all the tactical chest rigs, belts, and gear for the class and found out most of it is not necessary and heavy. Quite a few started shedding the gear through half the first day. I opted to pocket a few magazines to see how efficient I could be and found I could run it quite well. I'm going to stick with a bandolier of magazines for being on the road and travelling around. The mindset he teaches is, you're not there for a sustained fight, you are there to stop the threat as quickly and efficiently as you possibly can and getting out of danger. Reid stresses movement is key, from the above quote he teaches you from the get go. His classroom sessions are worth the price of admission alone in my opinion, it is structured, but he will address any and all questions you have and we frequently got into deep discussions about present times and history as far as freedom and your rights are concerned.

I will be going back as soon as I possibly can to train and learn a little more. He teaches and expects real world, and will not sugar coat anything.

Needless to say I have full confidence in this AK now, not a stoppage in about 900 rounds.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sounds like you had a good time. I have only met Reid when he was a fellow student in a Rangemaster Instructor course so I don't know him well at all. He and Tim sorta kept to themselves being the only Yeager people there. Just as a point of reference, you say this was your favorite class you have taken, who are some of the other instructors you have trained with?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Sounds like you had a good time. I have only met Reid when he was a fellow student in a Rangemaster Instructor course so I don't know him well at all. He and Tim sorta kept to themselves being the only Yeager people there. Just as a point of reference, you say this was your favorite class you have taken, who are some of the other instructors you have trained with?

There was a third TR guy there as well. Reid and I were paired up the first couple of days. He was a good dude. I would consider going down and spending a couple days at his place.

posting to find out a little more.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow

Mainly just local, went to Oklahoma and did 10 days of long range with Steve Suttles and Bobby Whittington at Badlands. ACT, did a Reveres Riders black rifle class, nothing really big as far as big names. Was signed up for the Haley class a few years ago and had to bow out when my buddy checked himself out of this world early on the dates of it, never made it because of the funeral, etc.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for posting the review, I've always thought their range was a pretty place and I've talk to a couple different people who've trained down there. It seems like a good option for sure!

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I've followed him from the start of his channel and love it. He is so the anti particle to Yeager I don't see how they ever worked together.

ikendrick15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Did you feel like the basic rifle class was challenging enough or did it leave something to be desired? I've noticed that in the descriptions of most intro classes it is simple things like zeroing your rifle and it doesn't sound challenging. (Not trying to sound superior I'm legitimately asking)

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    It was challenging enough. The classrooms were great, day one is a basics day, day two you hit the ground running and you will be worn out. I wouldn't go completely out of shape, there is a little bit of moving when in teams. Take the basics and an open mind, you'll impress yourself and meet some great people.

ikendrick15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Evansville
    It was challenging enough. The classrooms were great, day one is a basics day, day two you hit the ground running and you will be worn out. I wouldn't go completely out of shape, there is a little bit of moving when in teams. Take the basics and an open mind, you'll impress yourself and meet some great people.

Thanks for the input! I’ll be looking into it a little more closely.

Elflemin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2013
    Greenwood
    I thoroughly enjoyed his pistol craft 1 a summer ago. I'm heading back to do rifleman 1 in July. I noticed you said you just pocketed a few mags vs all the wiz bang high speed chest rig/plate carrier. I was planning on doing the pocketing approach in addition to maybe one belt mounted mag pouch. That would be more than suffice for the class?

Top Bottom