• ...and so much more!
  • chet wisner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Evansville
    A couple of questions here.

1. I'm thinking I want a .38 special revolver, but I'm not sure what I want in barrel size. I'm still researching the pros and cons of 3" (I think that's considered a snub, sin't it?) and a 4". For some reason, asthetically, I like the 4", but right now, being a new shooter, my main concern is with safety and stopping power. I know a 357 will handle the .38 rounds, but recoil is also a concern. I'm not a large, very strong person, but I don't know if that has anything to do with ability. I can summon up alot of determination when needed.

What causes one caliber to be "more powerful than another? For instance, will a 357 fire a .38 with more power than a .38 revolver? Or is the ammo that makes a more effective defense. Is there any difference in accuracy, effectiveness, etc. when it comes to barrel size?

BTW: this handgun would be for defense, and I would wish to carry concealed.

2. I'm concerned also about buying used. One of my local pawn shops has a used .38s that he wants $400 for. Shaved back hammer, but I don't recall any other details. I asked the guy if they test their used guns, and he simply pointed out the existence of the firing pin. That didn't really tell me anything, cause, as I said, I'm new to guns.

I'm reluctant to buy used for both safety and past uses of the gun reassons (I don't know where he got this gun).

3. On the other hand, this same shop offers a NIB RIA .38 revolver for $230. Now my question here is, if new, why such a low price? Does anyone have any experience with RIA? I find that they're located in the Phillipines, and that's a strike imo. I like USA!

Appreciate any help.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    if you are new to shooting, i would not get a snub. get the 4 inch. snubbies are great for up-close-and-personal defense, but they are not fun to shoot...especially with .357 rounds. dont worry about "stopping power." as long as you are shooting .38 spl +P JHPs, you wont have a problem. .357 is certainly a great choice, but will have more recoil and muzzle flash. it will also be louder. speed, the size of the round and the shape of the bullet mostly determine a round's ballistics.

i dont know about RIA's revolvers, but their 1911s are pretty nice....i love mine. i would look into a S&W. if the Smith is cost prohibitive, look for a Taurus- they make pretty decent revolvers.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    A .357 handgun, is a bigger heavier gun, and therefore absorbs some of the recoil, Newtons third law, a 4" barrel is perfect in my opinion, it will shoot every .38 except
    for a couple of oddball rounds..... I would stay away from pawn shops, wait till the gun show, or deal with the people & shops listed here.....

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    I like my 3" revolvers, good all around barrel length. Still short
    enough for carry and long enough for range shooting. The 3"
    is just a little harder to find.:draw:

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I agree with the choice of a four inch barrel for concealment as well as accuracy. You will also feel a real reduction in muzzle jump with a four inch barrel VS a three inch barrel. As a general rule, the shorter the barrel the less the accuracy. The shorter barrel also reduces your sight radius.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    A couple of questions here.

1. I'm thinking I want a .38 special revolver, but I'm not sure what I want in barrel size. I'm still researching the pros and cons of 3" (I think that's considered a snub, sin't it?) and a 4". For some reason, asthetically, I like the 4", but right now, being a new shooter, my main concern is with safety and stopping power. I know a 357 will handle the .38 rounds, but recoil is also a concern. I'm not a large, very strong person, but I don't know if that has anything to do with ability. I can summon up alot of determination when needed.

.357 chambered revolvers will handle any .357 .38 .38+P you can feed them.
    They do cost more than a .38 only gun however you will have a larger
    variety of ammo to choose from.
    Again being new, stay away from the 2" snubs for now, they are not
    much good past up in your face distance.
    Recoil with a 3 or 4 inch revolver shooting .38 should not be too
    big of an issue, they are pretty tame. Also if you get one capable of
    shooting +P you can jump up the power level if you desire.

The Ruger SP101 comes in a 3" barrel configuration.
    In .357 it's a 5 round cylinder.
    They do make a new one chambered in Federal .327 the holds
    6 rounds and has similar ballistics to the .357 but ammo availability would be a huge concern in
    an odd ball round like that.

What causes one caliber to be "more powerful than another? For instance, will a 357 fire a .38 with more power than a .38 revolver? Or is the ammo that makes a more effective defense. Is there any difference in accuracy, effectiveness, etc. when it comes to barrel size?

No, the .357 will not impart any more power to the .38 cartridge
    than the .38 contains on it's own. Longer barrel will give you better
    accuracy and velocity however.

BTW: this handgun would be for defense, and I would wish to carry concealed.

I can conceal a 4" 1911 no problem or when I had my 3" Ruger GP100 as well.

2. I'm concerned also about buying used. One of my local pawn shops has a used .38s that he wants $400 for. Shaved back hammer, but I don't recall any other details. I asked the guy if they test their used guns, and he simply pointed out the existence of the firing pin. That didn't really tell me anything, cause, as I said, I'm new to guns.

$400 for a used .38 only depending on brand is HIGH. :twocents:

I'm reluctant to buy used for both safety and past uses of the gun reassons (I don't know where he got this gun).

3. On the other hand, this same shop offers a NIB RIA .38 revolver for $230. Now my question here is, if new, why such a low price? Does anyone have any experience with RIA? I find that they're located in the Phillipines, and that's a strike imo. I like USA!

Appreciate any help.

Hope this helps and welcome! :yesway:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    A model 10 S&W would probably be a good choice. There are plenty of good used ones around, and they are a quality firearm. It would be a good idea to have someone help you check it over before you bought it. There are people on this fourm that live in your area that would probably help you. I agree with the other people that a snub would not be your best choice.

Dave

dean2182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    New Albany
    Find a Indoor range that rents guns-Try out different guns or arange for a INGO member to meet you at a range-Find a gun you are comfortable with

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I'm reluctant to buy used for both safety and past uses of the gun reasons (I don't know where he got this gun).

Almost any legitimate pawn shop will have a system that ties them into a local Law Enforcements office that allows them to cross reference the goods with a list of stolen goods. So you can be fairly certian that the stuff isnt stolen, or wanted by the cops.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I agree with the other posts. A snub is not the way to learn to shoot especially a 357. A 4 inch would be much better. it is a little more tricky to conceal but a better gun. If you are concerned about the price and pawn shops, almost every gun shop big or small has used guns. some more than others. Most of the shops will work with you and help you out if you just go in there and talk to them. Just try to go in there when it isnt peak times and they are extremely busy. I would definately try those instead of pawn shops. Just my:twocents::patriot:

chet wisner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Hey guys, Merry Christmas. Been reaaaal busy today. Thanks for the comments. I agree about the 4" barrel, I think, so I'm gonna go with that. BTW: the .38 the guy wanted $400 for was an S&W, but it's used, from a pwan shop that I don't think checks them out, so I' wouldn't be interested if it was $200.

Soes anyone else have any experience with the Rock Island Armory brand? I think it's made by another company in the Phillipines.

Thanks.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I have bought ALOT of used guns . never had a problem ...But i only deal with local gun shops , not pawn shops ....

I never knew Rock Island made a revolver :dunno:

I do own a RIA 1911 and all i can say is I love it ..no problems EVER ..

I would recommend the 4 inch revolver being as you are new to the gun world ...buy the .357 but start out shooting .38 in it then move to .38 +P

Then to the .357 round ....All will work in the .357 revolver

Smith & wesson is an awsome gun but most the RUGER revolvers I have owned and shot were built like tanks and will last Forever :twocents:

good luck with your search :patriot:

Top Bottom