• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I like to look through the classifides on this website fairly often just to see if anyone nearby is selling something on my wishlist. While looking it seems like more times than not I come across guys selling well used guns for not much less than they can be found for brand new, so I wanted to ask everyone how they determine the value for a used gun they are considering purchasing. I'm not trying to call anyone specifically out on this, but some of the pricing just makes me scratch my head.

I'll start with how I determine a fair price for a used gun. To my little way of thinking the whole point of buying a used gun is to save money over buying a new one in the store.

Take any gun out there and I look at two things. What's the cheapest I can get that gun anywhere else, and how much would I save buying buying this used gun. For me, if it's in great/mint shape and I can't save give or take $100 depending on what it is then I'd just the same buy a new one. If there are unknown factors like unknown round count, 2nd or third owner, repairs, questionable ammo used, etc. then I'd expect to save even more.

I'm not trying to go on a rant, but when I look at some of the same guns getting the neverending bumps because the seller doesn't realize they're not getting full price for a used gun it just makes me scratch my head.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I wonder myself, at times, but it's a free market. Buyers and sellers sort it all out over time.

Most things are priced a bit high initially and eventually go on "sale."

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    some of the same guns getting the neverending bumps because the seller doesn't realize they're not getting full price for a used gun it just makes me scratch my head.

It's the same in every hobby. Some guys think used stuff is worth nearly new prices, other guys realize that once you've used something, it loses a LOT of value.

It's pretty obvious which guys' items sell faster. ;)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Blue Book

I got the Blue Book of Gun Values on CD. It helps some but you still have to make a judgement on the condition of the gun which is difficult if not impossible from a photo. As far as I'm concerned, the only advertised gun condition you can count on is NIB. Sadly, I've heard of guns being advertised and sold as NIB when in fact they were used. Let the buyer beware!

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I go on gunbroker and see what they sell for used. My asking price is the highest they sell for and I shoot for a median.

I agree that some people in the classifieds are over the top, but there are some very good deals. Not that I am buying one, but I was looking up the going rate for Desert Eagles for fun and found them to be 600 less then new.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Some are no longer manufactured. Some may be limited in numbers or shoot a caliber that is not normal for a the type of firearm. Often the older models were much better made than the new conterparts.

Most are just wishing someone would take it off there hands so they can get X Y or Z.

We must remember that at this time it is a buyers market on firearms. The economy is down and people might sell something they normally would not because they have to. The guns that get endless BTT are overpriced or something that has not found the right person to purchase it,

If most buyers are getting 10-22's and model 60 22's a remington 40x 22 might set in the want ads for months until the right buyer comes along and will pay say 700 for a used 22 lr.

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    I seen a 10/22 here on a local forum for 1k yes $1000 USD
    Factory tapered barrel shortened and a fake can on the end.

I paid $150 with 1.5-4.5 glass for my first 10/22
    $175 for my 2nd 10/22 no glass mount or rings
    and just got a factory hammer forged .920 10/22 for $40 with a trade.

Or those people that post in everyones post I have this and that to trade.
    Make your own for sale ad and pm people 5 pages of bs just to find out if they have it still.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i always try to be fair i take everything into mind when i buy or sell.i try to be fair with things but you have people that think 400 for an unfired glock is to much they offer 300,it has happed to me .

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree about older or discontinued models being more valuable because they are in shorter supply. That is definately something to take into consideration.

What really got me thinking about this is when I see the common every day run of the mill guns that have seen some rough living being put on a pedistal with a high price. I don't want to insult sellers by citing specific examples from the classifieds section but it's not too hard to find good examples of this.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I know what you mean, but it is their gun so they can ask whatever they want for it. I have no problem buying used guns and I agree there are many factors that go into what is a good deal, but there are some overpriced guns out there. Somebody else may buy them though :dunno:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I go on Gunbroker and see what they are going for in similar condition. If it is like new, I'll list it for $50 less than a new one. If it has wear or a higher round count, I'll list it for what guns in similar condition are going for on GB. If I am more interested in trading than selling, then I'll list it for $25-$50 more than I think it is worth. I don't sell guns because I need the money, usually it's because it's not something I think I will shoot a lot or I want something new. If I don't sell it, I don't mind keeping it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jaydond
    Top Bottom