• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The shutdown doesn't just affect people in the US.

Since the shutdown all the 11 American military cemeteries in France are closed.
    Veterans, families and visitors cannot visit the graves, and the employees (both French and American) can no longer maintain those sacred sites as they work with reduced teams.

554332-000_par7673206.jpg

6040161680_e0545c6bd0_z.jpg

colleville_ferme_1.jpg

pt28978.jpg

Sad, especially for the veterans and families who came all the way from the US to visit those monuments.
    No congressman here to open the gates for them.

:patriot:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Why would they close these? From what I understand, aren't those cemeteries taken care of by volunteers from the local population? Perhaps the OP can enlighten us.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why would they close these? From what I understand, aren't those cemeteries taken care of by volunteers from the local population? Perhaps Sylvan can enlighten us.

Those cemeteries belong to the US Government and are closed because they have no money to pay the people who work there due to the shutdown. :dunno:
    Most of the staff members there are US Gov. employees, both civilians and military with also some French citizens working there.
    Maybe some people are also volunteers but they cant enter the site if it's closed anyway.

Hey, I just got a free lesson in the French language. :thumbsup:

:):

You're welcome!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    All this consternation over the temporary closing of parks, campgrounds, lakes, cemeteries, etc....(not from you Sylvain, but from the news in general). If we can't stomach a disappointment or two in vacation plans, is it any wonder there aren't many politicians with the stones to go after spending that will really gore some oxen?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Those cemeteries belong to the US Government and are closed because they have no money to pay the people who work there due to the shutdown. :dunno:
    Most of the staff members there are US Gov. employees, both civilians and military with also some French citizens working there.
    Maybe some people are also volunteers but they cant enter the site if it's closed anyway.

:):

You're welcome!

The military is not affected by the closure. I'll bet these parks are not directly affected by the closing, and Obama did is to demonstrate to the world how bad "right wingers" are. Just like how he paid six men (more than in Benghazi) to go close the ww2 memorial in DC, when they weren't affected by the closure either (and didn't provide any security when it was opened anyways). Obama is pulling the strings here. The orders for the DC monument closure came from the white house anyways...

Obama Administration Decided to Block Access to Memorials

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Ironic, as the WWII Memorial and "The Wall" were privately funded. In my opinion, this is all a political stunt. There is no valid reason to deny public access to most outdoor memorials in D.C. From what I have read, there was only a NPS Ranger available part-time at the WWII memorial before the shutdown.

Last edited:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    People that blame the shut down for this nonsense crack me up. This is what was chosen by the Obama administration to shut down, not everything is shut down just the stuff that bothers people and Obama can say "see what the GOP did". It proves who the real bastard is, it's the guy in the Whitehouse, I don't suppose Air force One is grounded now or that plane Pelosi used to fly on (if she still does).

Top Bottom