• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I picked up an M&P9 FS for my birthday, and was wondering what upgrades I should be considering. I'm not looking to get all of these at once, I know that the majority of people would say to practice with it the way it is. I plan to practice, but if I practice with the stock M&P with intentions to upgrade, then I would still be set back a little, having used rounds prior to practice with a set up that is not finished...should I leave it stock for a while, or upgrade quickly?

This is my only centerfire handgun, so it will be filling many roles. Home defense, carrying, and maybe some competition if I get good enough and have the time. Having shot the M&P with Apex trigger (many thanks to a fellow INGO'er for that ) I have that right up there on my priority list, though I don't know what version yet. I would like to upgrade the sights to something better suited for low light, since the stock three white dots aren't very effective, but am open to any other sight options as well. And then there have been suggestions to get have it stippled, which seems like a good option as well.

What am I missing, what order (and how soon) should I complete these, and what specific suggestions do you have? :ingo:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would throw some night sights on it and just shoot the crap out of it. A quality belt and holster is a give. If you can get some training, that'll help you improve the most I'd say. Plus that'll help you know what you want/need.

Shooting isn't a gear>ability thing just like most things in life. Obviously use a little discretion here, but you already have a fine firearm.

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Shoot it. Find out what you like.
    I have some night sights from Warren Tactical, only because I prefer a 'blacked out type' rear sight.
    It is all personal preference..
    Shoot it a bunch... see if there are any areas of 'improvement' you'd like to see... In my case it was a FS and a PRO that I tinkered with (duty kits)... when it was all said and done, I only modded the trigger (1 pc polymer) on my EDC compact. (also the Warren tactical night sights) It was the answer for me. YMMV

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    What night sights would you recommend?

I have no idea what you would like exactly so I'll make some suggestions and you can see what you think. I also only have defensive sights on my pistols so that is what I can speak to.

I personally am a fan of I-Dot pros or Trijicon HD's with a yellow front sight. I also like the XS big dots if it's a specific carry gun it's something to consider. I used to love them and would never turn someone from them but lately I've favored greatly I-Dots or HD's. There are pros and cons between the two that come with their differences but I am certainly a fan of both and they are equal to me.

I also have a little experience with the some warren tactical and wilson combat sights, that are great. I am right there with RobbyMaQ in the fact that I like the blacked out rear sight. It's also nice if the rear has a real ledge (i.e. not novak style sights etc.) so you can rack it using the sight if need be.

So check out the i-dot pros, trijicon HD's, and XS big dots.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    XS big dots were a close second! My aging eyes were receptive. It's all what you prefer...
    You're welcome to try mine some time if you wish. I'm on the west side of indy

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    All I've done to mine (so far) have been to install Apex hard sears in them.

And I think they feel better than folks who spend 4x as much on trigger systems. :D

I've yet to invest in night sights. I NEED TO. Just haven't.

Oh - and I had one frame cerakoated to match my shotgun, but that's purely aesthetics.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Trijicon HD's is what I put on all my carry guns, I'd start there. Then get plenty of practice and you'll be able to make up your mind on trigger.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I had the trigger group polished out on my M&P9 Shield. All the difference in the world.
    It's as close as the Apex as you'd want for lot's less money. And it only took a half hour to do.
    I'm not a plastic pistol guy but I'm going to give this one a try for a while. At least this summer. IF it survives my scrutiny it'll get good night sights next.
    I am having trouble finding a holster I like though. That's my very next project.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The first question you should ask yourself before changing anything is "what problem am I trying to solve?". If you can't answer this question, then it's not time to "upgrade" anything.

Sights are very much a matter of personal preference, but here are a couple indisputable facts:

1. Big Dots suck.
    2. Ameriglo iDot Pros, Hackthorns, and Trijicon HD's are all very similar and all awesome... especially with the "U" notch rear.

As for trigger upgrades...

:whistle:

Here's a break down:

DCAEK-"Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), duty/carry trigger return spring (raises trigger pull back up some to meet duty standards)

CompAEK-"Competetion Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), lighter comp trigger return spring (further reduces pull), and comp striker spring (also reduces pull weight).

The Aluminum AEK trigger was designed to replace the stock hinged trigger if desired and can be used in conjunction with any combination of factory parts or the above kits but is not to be confused with the FSS which outwardly looks very similar.

RAM- "Reset Assist Mechanism"= an optional kit that "improves" tactile/audible trigger reset. If you are prefer a "Glockish" trigger, this will make you feel right at home. Coming from a Glock myself, I planned on installing one but never got around to it. After getting used to the platform, I no longer think the RAM is necessary.

FSS- "Front Set Sear"= completely different trigger group, springs and sear than and not compatable with the others. Totally changes the geometry of the pull and moves the break point much further forward with very little pre or over travel. Feels almost like a single action trigger.

Hope this helps.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I picked up a new vtac model this month and I dont feel the need to change anything. We've already put close to 500 through it and she's eager for more! Hopefully I get my free mags sooner than later. :) I wouldn't change anything until you shoot it a bit.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was going to say just get it all done now and practice with the way you will ultimately have the pistol set up. But after reading other posts here and thinking about how I did my M&P I am not going to recommend that.

I agree, shoot it for awhile and see what "problems" you want fixed. I added stuff and ended up taking it out with the exception of the Apex USB. I have been stuck on which Apex trigger system to buy for well over a year. I just can't pull the trigger on a set up.:)

Now, I realize I really don't care for the striker fire feel no matter how much money I throw at it. My favorite pistol is my 1911 9mm. But I think everyone should own at least one higher capacity pistol, right? So instead of throwing more money at it, I think I am going to sell it and buy a Sig 226.:)

I do like the Ameriglo sights and you won't go wrong with at least the Apex USB to start. Plus buy extra mags. I have found Quantico Tactical to be a good source for mags.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Look at the website for bowietactical.com for some ideas.
    I like the stippled grip and I also stipple mine where my thumb on the support hand rests just under the slide on both sides.
    Also, I'm not a fan of Apex triggers. I've used a few variations of theirs and I much prefer the Bowie Tactical trigger job, its smoother and the trigger reset is phenomenal.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I was going to say just get it all done now and practice with the way you will ultimately have the pistol set up. But after reading other posts here and thinking about how I did my M&P I am not going to recommend that.

I agree, shoot it for awhile and see what "problems" you want fixed. I added stuff and ended up taking it out with the exception of the Apex USB. I have been stuck on which Apex trigger system to buy for well over a year. I just can't pull the trigger on a set up.:)

Now, I realize I really don't care for the striker fire feel no matter how much money I throw at it. My favorite pistol is my 1911 9mm. But I think everyone should own at least one higher capacity pistol, right? So instead of throwing more money at it, I think I am going to sell it and buy a Sig 226.:)

I do like the Ameriglo sights and you won't go wrong with at least the Apex USB to start. Plus buy extra mags. I have found Quantico Tactical to be a good source for mags.
    I am a 1911 diehard myself.
    However, the years have caught up with me and I feel the need to go lighter on carry. I've done this before and don't expect different results but I am hoping for more comfortable carry. The introduction of the 147gr 9mm ammo had a lot to do with this purchase.
    I didn't want to change anything before I've given the Shield a good run out but the trigger was just plain nasty and needed work desperately. Just a nice polishing out of the rough edges on the firing group is all it needed. I compared the polish job to an apex replacement. The Apex is smoother but not enough justify the change at this point Possibly later if the plastic gun can find a home on the belt.
    The triggers on these are such that I wouldn't think S&W would put this out for consumers.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Look at the website for bowietactical.com for some ideas.
    I like the stippled grip and I also stipple mine where my thumb on the support hand rests just under the slide on both sides.
    Also, I'm not a fan of Apex triggers. I've used a few variations of theirs and I much prefer the Bowie Tactical trigger job, its smoother and the trigger reset is phenomenal.

I was impressed by his stuff, but last I saw it was a 6 month turnaround :n00b:

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    The first question you should ask yourself before changing anything is "what problem am I trying to solve?". If you can't answer this question, then it's not time to "upgrade" anything.

Sights are very much a matter of personal preference, but here are a couple indisputable facts:

1. Big Dots suck.
    2. Ameriglo iDot Pros, Hackthorns, and Trijicon HD's are all very similar and all awesome... especially with the "U" notch rear.

As for trigger upgrades...

:whistle:

Thank you for the break down of each trigger, I have had trouble finding each model described like that side by side (by side by side by side... haha)

I do think I will shoot it as much as I can over the next couple weeks, and then see what I want to do once I come back from training July 3.

Thank you for all of the help, yet again :ingo:

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    ​Apex full trigger upgrade (feels better and just looks better IMO)
    Fiber optic front, blacked out rear (rounded notch)
    Also did a careful stippling job on my backstrap the the front textured part, dramatically improves retention

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I picked up a new vtac model this month and I dont feel the need to change anything. We've already put close to 500 through it and she's eager for more! Hopefully I get my free mags sooner than later. :) I wouldn't change anything until you shoot it a bit.

That mag rebate was a sweet little deal for S&W I bet it helped them move some pistols!

Top Bottom