• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I have a kimber ultra II and am currently experimenting on the ideal type of ammo for this gun. I have already fired about 400 rounds in this. I have tried using golden sabres 230 grain. There is no noticeable difference in the recoil felt with 230 grain ball ammo as expected. However, when I tried speer dot 185 grain, the recoil felt the same if not a little more. I confirmed my suspicion by shooting about 50 rounds of this same weight. Has anyone had the same experience? I still have to check other brands of 185 grain.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II and usually shoot WWB 230 Gr through it but have in the past shot the Speer 185 gr and I also have not really felt any true difference in the recoil either.

Cannondale

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not a Kimber owner but I believe that the recoil is due to the muzzle energy. A lower weight bullet has a higher exit velocity when compared to a heavier / slower bullet. Look at the ballistics for these two rounds and I would expect the muzzle energy to be similar and therefore the recoil to be similar

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    The only time I have ever noticed it is with range ammo. The whitebox Winchesters pack a helluva wallop compared to the Remington UMC. I don't know why, but those UMCs are light, pretty quite, and darn accurate to boot. As far as JHP, I use Winchester SPX bonded, and to me (I'm a big dude) they kick like a 9mm lol well maybe a .40. Try em out, you might like em but the Sabres are a good round as well.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    For years I've been shooting out of a case of govt hardballs for my .45 practice. Just recently got some Rem hp self defense ammo, and perceived recoil is a lot more. Presumably because (as alluded to above) it being a lot hotter round.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom