unemployment or social security offices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I had noticed the famous "no gun" signs on the doors of the social security and unemployment(work one) offices in South Bend. Is it now legal to carry in there?

Thanks for info. :)

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Social Security office is a "NO NO" due to it being a federal building(every one I have been to has had armed guards inside.) Unemployment office, idk.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Social Security office is a "NO NO" due to it being a federal building(every one I have been to has had armed guards inside.) [STRIKE]Unemployment office, idk[/STRIKE].

^This!

Unemployment offices are state level offices as such they follow state laws. In our case, Indiana, they are good to go provided you have a LTCH to carry. Just like you can carry into the Indiana DMW you can walk into the unemployment office.

Now it gets "tricky" if the office also happens to be inside the bldg with a court house. :)

-Jedi

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    No so tricky. If the unemployment building is inside the court house building behind security, then you can't carry. However, if you have to go through a security checkpoint prior to entering court house, you are good to go.

The real crease on the knuckle is this. What about when there is NO security checkpoint (ie, guards, detectors, etc)? In that case it can be viewed as a single structure and you would not be allowed to carry inside.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No so tricky. If the unemployment building is inside the court house building behind security, then you can't carry. However, if you have to go through a security checkpoint prior to entering court house, you are good to go.

The real crease on the knuckle is this. What about when there is NO security checkpoint (ie, guards, detectors, etc)? In that case it can be viewed as a single structure and you would not be allowed to carry inside.

Could someone clarify this? If a courthouse has a metal detector, you CAN or CANNOT carry?

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    If it is a courthouse, you can not. Part of the revised law passed a couple months back. Anyone quick with the exact IC?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had to go to Work One or something like that a few months ago to file a business report (turns out it was the wrong place-thanks, public servant for sending me there and wasting an hour of my time) and there was a "no guns" sign. I didn't see it at first and was CCing but when I saw it I excused myself and put it in my truck. Later I glimpsed ("seen" for the rest of you Southern Indianans ;)) a guy I knew and got his attention. I quietly asked him about the sign and he admitted they couldn't enforce it but most people obeyed it as far as he knew. It was a stand-alone building with no city or other govt. offices.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If it is a courthouse, you can not. Part of the revised law passed a couple months back. Anyone quick with the exact IC?

Not quite. If it is a building with a courtroom, yes, you CAN be prevented from carrying there. It is not automatic and there are county courthouses in this state that do not have that prohibition. Also, if the building has a courtroom in it, but has residential or private businesses in it, the residential, business, and common areas cannot be off-limits to those who carry legally.
    Example:
    A publicly-owned building in which the first floor contains traffic courts down two opposite halls off of a lobby. A third short hallway leads to a bank branch. It also has elevators and stairwells from that lobby to upper floors. On the second and third floors are law offices and a bail bondsman or two.
    On the fourth and fifth floors the county has low-income housing for rent... that is, cheap, low-priced apartments for which people can sign leases and have a place to call home. Each floor also has a small lobby.

In the above example, the two opposite hallways on the first floor can both be "gun-free zones" according to SEA 292. The main lobby, the bank area, the elevators, stairwells, and upper floors are all unaffected by that law. The bank, the lawyers, and the bail bondsmen can specify that they do not allow guns in their businesses, but alone, that is unenforceable. (you'd have to trespass to have any law apply. Just having a gun on you there is not a crime, absent a specific sign, such as, "Any person carrying a weapon into this business shall be considered trespassing and prosecuted.") I am unclear whether or not a provision of the leases signed for the residential (or business, for that matter) tenants could be written to have the tenants agree to have no guns there, but that would not apply to those visiting the building.

Now, to be crystal-clear: I am not an attorney. I am simply a citizen who has read this law that has not been interpreted at this writing by any court of which I have knowledge. As such, this example could be mistaken. If someone out there has a different view, please support it with a quote from the law. I'm not being sarcastic about this. If I'm mistaken, I'd like to know how and correct the error(s).

The relevant sections of the law are below:
    Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of this chapter;
    is void.
    Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:
    (1) ...
    (2) ...
    (3) ...
    (4) ...
    (5) The enactment or enforcement of a provision prohibiting or restricting the possession of a firearm in any building that contains the courtroom of a circuit, superior, city, town, or small claims court. However, if a portion of the building is occupied by a residential tenant or private business, any provision restricting or prohibiting the possession of a firearm does not apply to the portion of the building that is occupied by the residential tenant or private business, or to common areas of the building used by a residential tenant or private business.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom