Understand the rationale, but still got me thinking...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    So, when you are in fear of your life, you are allowed to take lethal force for "self defense".

In the case of the 80 year old man who shot the pregnant woman, she fled and he shot her anyway...in the back.

My question becomes, I understand them fleeing basically makes it no longer self defense as they are no longer a threat, but I think it's kinda crappy if someone is beating you down or you are in a situation to a point of using a firearm, if they turn their back and run the instant the firearm is pulled you could be liable because it's not self defense?

I guess, I am just unclear at what point an aggressor no longer becomes a threat just because they suddenly become "outgunned" and turn to run or whatever.

Clarity?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Every situation is different. Is the battle over because the enemy is changing positions? A tactical withdrawal by the bad guys does not mean it's over. Are you still in fear for your life? Should you give them every chance to come back at you with the advantage?

This thread is a dupe though.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Did they "turn to run", or are they simply retreating as a tactic to 'approach from a different flank', to return at a later moment when the defender is less prepared and / or 'unaware', or simply to attack an 'easier' target next door or down the street.

The concept is, and should be to stop the attacker, not provide the BG with a 'better opportunity'.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I do not believe he should be charged. I agree you have to worry about them running to their car to get their own weapons or something. However, the line does have to be drawn somewhere I guess.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    And I think that line was crossed when they broke into his house and tried to beat the crap out of him and steal his stuff...game over.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Wouldn't it depend a lot on location as well? If they are still in your house vs running a block down the street? I personally would not leave my house since I consider that a strategic error. --you leave a known environment for unknown. You don't know what friends the assailant has waiting outside or if another armed citizen or LEO will confuse you for the bad guy. IMO once they leave the house let them go. I'd watch them leave to make sure they were gone and I would stay on high alert until the cops get there. IMO that girl may have had it coming but she got murdered just the same. If I was on the jury he'd go to jail.

Top Bottom