• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    I am looking at getting new hunting cloths after freezing my tail off last year. Has anybody have any experience with Under Armour insulator gear? It's their Storm3 gear with Gore-Tex shell.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Too rich for my blood. I know they make good stuff but good lord they're proud of it.

After years of freezing I have finally found a system that works for me. Silk weight long underwear under merino wool long underwear, a layer of fleece followed by a windproof layer. I have yet to get cold wearing these layers and I did a week long training outdoors in temps down to 9*F and never got cold (most of the training was laying prone on thr ground). I also have an IWOM that I'll wear if we're going to be on a long sit and it's below 20*.

The only issue I have nowadays is my feet. I've tried everything under the sun and they still get cold.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Honestly I love Under Armour as much as the next guy. I own a lot of it for the gym and active wear, but they're out to lunch with their prices on camo. I simply cannot justify it for no longer than I wear it during the hunting season. I buy all my camo at Wal-Mart, and on sale at online retailers. I layer properly and have no issues at all, that is the key. If you have the money, and it's what you want, go for it, but I think there are other choices that will suit you just as well for a lot less. That extra cash can go towards other hunting gear, accessories etc..
    '

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Are you interested in actually hunting better, or is it a style thing?

To be really clear, I'm not judging or trying to attach value, I'm just wanting to know how you are making your decisions before I make any recommendations.

-Nate

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    My UA gear works well enough when I am active, but none of it works particularly well once II!stop moving.

If you are looking at that price range, check out Cabela's MT050 & Outfitter series. I used to get cold easy, but my MT050 coveralls kept me nice and toasty for 12+hr stretches on days that started below -5F and never got above +5F (with gusts over 30MPH, to boot.)

Also, consider getting a good muff for your hands and boot insulators (shells).

mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    I am looking for warmer clothes for when I'm stand hunting. I'll have to look into the MT050. I really could care less about style. Phylodog, have you looked into Baffin boots. They make polar pac boots. They are huge so don't plan on hiking much in them but they are great for stand hunting.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Silk weight long underwear under merino wool long underwear, a layer of fleece followed by a windproof layer.

^^^WINNER^^^

I go UA long johns, merino wool long johns, Cabela's outfitter berber fleece with a wind shear lining. 2 years ago in late doe season when it was zero, with a -30 windchill, I was comfortable.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Too much money for us po folks. I layer up and try to wear something windproof as an outer layer. The wind gets you more than anything. Honestly the best thing i have used when its real cold is a kids sized sleeping bag. I roll it up and strap it to my stand on the way in and once im up i get in it and pull it up to my armpits. Another tip is to only wear a few layers on your way in if its really cold and put your other layers on once you get where your going. If you bundle all up and start sweating on your way in you wont last very long.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Knowing more info now, I don't have a lot to add to phylo's calls...it's the same system, just different stuff.

I use a polypro base layer like Capilene (not actually Capilene...Patagucci is too rich for me), followed by EITHER my windproof 200-weight fleece (Duluth Shoreman), OR a light wool sweater THEN the fleece. Over the top goes a hooded wool parka.

On the bottom, I get one or two layers of polypro undies, or if REALLY cold, a pair of 300-weight REI fleece, and over the top goes cargo camo fleece with a wind shear liner.

--If it is to be extremely low wind chill, or I feel the need to spend a lot of time lying in the snow in an open field, then I will top all insulation with camo microfleece rain gear. I do the same, and just remove the parka underneath, if it is to be warmer but pouring rain.

--If I am going out on a track for somebody, I will generally wear only a lighter amount of insulation underneath, and the Shoreman's fleece. That has worked out much better for mobility and a higher level of activity, but I have been bitten badly for doing it a couple times when the tracking went longer than usual. I put the heavier stuff in the vehicle, but sometimes the vehicle ends up quite a ways from me by the time my cold-addled brain figgers out that it's body is pretty darn cold.

On the budget item: I buy quality gear, because I put it through a lot. I tend to buy when it is off season (e.g: buy heavy hunting parkas in June and see if you can't find a better price), or on sale, or I buy milsurp in the first place. Once I have something that works--REALLY works--I hang onto it and use it for a decade or more, or until it wears out. Being honest, I often used to put on most Christmas lists a specific and fully investigated item I needed. That's been a number of years, but a lot of them are still in service.

Final thought: don't get suckered in to the "camo war". New patterns come out all the time, and will continue to do so as long as the industry can continue to convince fishermen that they need new lures every year (in other words, forever). These are not needed for success, and a good many of them are actually more harmful than good, both for the hunting AND the wallet. If you wonder what you really look like in that MossyCrap TimberBLack, let a buddy wear your coat and walk through the woods 50-100 yards out; enjoy the education. One good quality, quiet material, generally open-pattern camo jacket in tans and browns and maybe some green is good for 90% of what you can do to get close to a deer, at least for the duty the camoflauge itself can do. The rest is completely on you, unless you need to be closer than 30 feet and face-to-face. If that's you, then let me know, and I'll change my recommendation.

-Nate

mrunnebo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all the info guys. After doing a little more research, I decided to foregoe the UA outerwear and try UA base topped with merino base under my normal hunting atire. If I'm still cold this year I may look at the Cabelas MT050. Thanks for the suggestions.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I've had bad luck with U/A hunting gear. I hunt in some thick stuff and am usually deep in the woods. Last season I bought a lightweight pair of valstez ? boots , they didn't last two weeks! The soles literally fell off, but they sure were comfy! As far as cold weather gear goes, Artic Shield makes some damn warm gear. They seem to be pretty durable and not as pricey as U/A. Either route you go stay warm and hunt hard.....enjoy!

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    The only issue I have nowadays is my feet. I've tried everything under the sun and they still get cold.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya dog, that has been my problem my whole life. I have had limited success with those toe warmers you stick into your boots but I honestly don't think there is anything out there that can keep my feet warm. I have been thinking of trying those boot blankets over my 2400 grams of thinsulate boots to see if that helps.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Long underwear/multiple base layers as some of the guys described and a windproof/waterproof layer is very effective. Then it's just feet and hands. Some of the break and shake warmers are fantastic for that.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Agreed on the heated insoles... Wish I had them in hunting boots because it's only my feet that get cold. But in ski boots heated insoles are the cats meow as small's says.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Too rich for my blood. I know they make good stuff but good lord they're proud of it.

After years of freezing I have finally found a system that works for me. Silk weight long underwear under merino wool long underwear, a layer of fleece followed by a windproof layer. I have yet to get cold wearing these layers and I did a week long training outdoors in temps down to 9*F and never got cold (most of the training was laying prone on thr ground). I also have an IWOM that I'll wear if we're going to be on a long sit and it's below 20*.

The only issue I have nowadays is my feet. I've tried everything under the sun and they still get cold.

I will second this!

Top Bottom