• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    My wife and I was on our way to church this morning when I noticed 3 orange hats walkin outside one of the woods I manage. They were carrying shotguns. The car parked up by the river bridge and they were way back by the woods, 300 yds or so. I drove across the field to them and asked to see their permission slips, which I knew they didnt have because Im the one who gives them. The guy says "we dont have a permission slip. I dont even know who owns this place and I have been huntin here for 35 years. I said not anymore! GET OUT! I said this is just wrong. They said they were leaving and I said I know you are. I drove back to their car and called in their plate number. Now what really is the pisser is that this is 2 old guys and a kid probably 11 yrs old. Good job gramps on teaching the grandkid on good hunting ethics. Its like what the heck are ppl thinking? We are logging the woods right now and if they wouldnt have been wearing hunter orange or carrying guns or parked the car where I could see it, they might have gotten away with it for another year. What a loser!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some people are jerks.

Gotta watch it though .........somebody may have gotten verbal permission years ago, only hunt once in a great while, and that slip from the landowner's mind.

It does happen.

Of course trespassers try to play that angle a lot.

In the old days a handshake and verbal agreements were good enough. Some folks still go by those, take a dim view of permission slips and the ways of the new. I tend to agree with them.

So...........long shot but..................if there was a legit verbal deal way back, and I had been hunting the same place for 35 years..............and some new guy started busting my chops over it, I'd probably be a little flippant in my response, just a wee bit ;)

Now here's the kicker...............you as the new enforcer, have to watch out...............as somebody you kick off might indeed have permission, and family or other ties that might be strong. You might be right in asking them to leave, but in doing so you might eventually get the boot.

Since it was old timers, I'd play it nice the first time, explain the situation. That puts the ball in their court, to upgrade to the new system (get permission slips after contacting the owner).

2nd time you can be all the arse you wanna be :)

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Co-worker was hunting on another coworkers property. He ran in to a guy who asked him in a nasty tone if he had permission to hunt on that property. After the co-worker told him he did, the other guy said he was going to leave because he had no permission.

Keep an eye out, I bet they return. If they use a different vehicle they can not be the same people? :dunno:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    So... how was church? You probably would have been nicer about it AFTER the sermon on loving your neighbor and being kind to others.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So... how was church? You probably would have been nicer about it AFTER the sermon on loving your neighbor and being kind to others.

Loving your neighbor doesn't mean you must accept or approve of bad behavior, or that you have to sugar coat your response. In fact, the Bible also teaches that if you catch your brother in a sin (coincidentally the older text uses the word "Trespass") that you should call him on it rather than ignore it.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Loving your neighbor doesn't mean you must accept or approve of bad behavior, or that you have to sugar coat your response. In fact, the Bible also teaches that if you catch your brother in a sin (coincidentally the older text uses the word "Trespass") that you should call him on it rather than ignore it.

I agree on accepting/calling, I suppose we can agree to disagree on the way you're supposed to treat people. Maybe my church teaches it differently than yours/his.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I agree on accepting/calling, I suppose we can agree to disagree on the way you're supposed to treat people. Maybe my church teaches it differently than yours/his.

I think we're probably rowing the same boat here...just want to make sure you weren't going with the often twisted and misquoted "turn the other cheek" philosophy that the modern media so often expects people of faith to do. :yesway:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I think we're probably rowing the same boat here...just want to make sure you weren't going with the often twisted and misquoted "turn the other cheek" philosophy that the modern media so often expects people of faith to do. :yesway:

Not at all. I own land and have asked people to leave it many times. My only point is the HOW, given the way the story started.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Not really....

For me, it's is based on how many times you have tried the Trespass bs with me. After the first time I ask you to leave, if you do it again, depends on how cruel my response is....

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Not really....

For me, it's is based on how many times you have tried the Trespass bs with me. After the first time I ask you to leave, if you do it again, depends on how cruel my response is....

Oh, I agree. Just no hint that this was the case in the story here.

Really, though, you all are free to be whatever kind of person you like. I'll continue to get a laugh out of what *I* see as amusing when people talk about the way they treated someone... on the way to church. That's the only part I find amusing.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Last year during opening day of bow, I had a guy pull up and tell me I was hunting "HIS" property. When I said, "Oh, you mean this land my wife ownes?" He first said "yes" and then said, "no the property behind it." When I said, "You mean my wife's cousin's property?" He said "You ain't the only MF that hunts here!" I said, "I am now!" He got in his truck and flew off before I could get out of my blind. NOW, that's a jerk. Wonder how many years he's been bow hunting that land? The cousin only leases his land during gun season in November.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    We are polite the first time. Tell them we own it and not to come back, if they are polite and seem humbled in return we may even let them finish the day.

We ruin them the second time. We are good friends with the local CO, and Chief of Police. They lose licenses, and in MI depending on the circumstances they can have their gear seized as well.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Some people are jerks.

Gotta watch it though .........somebody may have gotten verbal permission years ago, only hunt once in a great while, and that slip from the landowner's mind.

It does happen.

Of course trespassers try to play that angle a lot.

In the old days a handshake and verbal agreements were good enough. Some folks still go by those, take a dim view of permission slips and the ways of the new. I tend to agree with them.

So...........long shot but..................if there was a legit verbal deal way back, and I had been hunting the same place for 35 years..............and some new guy started busting my chops over it, I'd probably be a little flippant in my response, just a wee bit ;)

Now here's the kicker...............you as the new enforcer, have to watch out...............as somebody you kick off might indeed have permission, and family or other ties that might be strong. You might be right in asking them to leave, but in doing so you might eventually get the boot.

Since it was old timers, I'd play it nice the first time, explain the situation. That puts the ball in their court, to upgrade to the new system (get permission slips after contacting the owner).

2nd time you can be all the arse you wanna be :)

Alright lets clear the air here. We have owned this property well over 35 years. I have worked for this farm for 20 yrs and managed the properties for 15 yrs. I have over 100 hundred ppl hunting on 12000 acres. I have ppl in every woods we own. I am by no means new. I dont put up with stupid ppl. Period. Im in close contact with the conservation officers. I have a permit system that is above and beyond. Church was great and I did nothing beyond my duty. If you dealt with ppl on a daily basis as I do in these situations you would understand. Was I rude? No. Blunt and to the point yes. They got the message. Next time will be worse. You dont just trespass, its wrong.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My buddy owned a farm for a few yrs, never let anybody hunt it. I became number 1 and in my first season, ran off over 40 different trespassers.

My buddy didn't even live in the same county as that farm (owned 4 farms, one out of state). He did rent the farmhouse, and the renter gave permission to an old timer (wasn't his to give but he gave it).

The old timer didn't know that, until I caught him in the woods.

I politely explained it and he was nice and left, never came back. Evidently he thought who lived there was good enough, and for years it was (he didn't try to hide his vehicle or anything).

Heck the renter may have said he owned it..........dunno.

Had a family member of a landowner threaten me afield once, said I didn't have permission (had it for 20 dang years). Left and checked back following yr, the owner said I was always welcome, she owned the place, not her idiot grandson.

So back to hunting I went. And I had another run in with idiot, almost had to blast him.

Even when you are 100% legal that doesn't mean things can't get iffy.

FWIW that POS threw his grandma out of her own house.........p*ssed a lot of people off in that town. I hope there's a special place in Hades for such jerks.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Add, I've had trespassers shoot at me, threaten me at my residence, and afield, and even try to run me off the road. I have a lot of exp in dealing with trespassers...........understand the aggravation, and risks.

Peace comes through superior firepower..............esp when the ground you are in charge off gets zero cell phone reception ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom