• ...and so much more!
  • Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    At Popguns the other day, I saw that they offer ultrasonic cleaning of handguns. Anyone tried this? If this involves the entire firearm sitting in a bath of solvent, I'd be a little nervous about excess liquid staying inside and gumming up the action.

If it does work...has anyone tried it at home? My grandpa used to have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner...I wonder if one were to fill the thing up with Rem Oil and drop in a handgun....:dunno:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    My parents are veterinarians, and have a good ultrasonic cleaner they use for their instruments. Many a gun part have made it into the cleaner with no problems. Now, the stuff they use isn't caustic/corrosive and doesn't strip paint, but all the dirt comes off very nicely.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I'll have to try this. I bought the Mrs. an ultrasonic cleaner for xmas. FWIW, it works very well with just water.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You shouldn't have anything left behind to gum up your gun. In fact, not only should it come out clean as a whistle, but also bone dry (as far oils go). The solvent will evaporate. Everything will need a good oiling to protect it and ensure proper function.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    We had one for our department. Not for me. I will clean my gun the old fashioned way.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've cleaned a few items with ultrasonic cleaners and with parts washers. The ultrasonic cleaners work very well, especially with things like rifle bolts which have a lot of hard-to-reach nooks and crannies. The only drawback I've found is that a lot of the solvents used are hygroscopic, so the guns and/or parts must be lubricated very well after they are dried or you will have trouble with rust.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Be careful!

Do not use any flammable solvents in an ultrasonic cleaner. The ultrasonic action generates heat, not good! I usually just use hot water and a few drops of dish soap and get great results. I have a Branson Ultrasonics unit and what goes in comes out squeaky clean!

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    This is something that I have been wanting to try, I think it would be great for rifle bolts and trigger groups. Harbor Freight has to models, both under $60.

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    My astronomy club had some filters that had some gunk on them. A guy put them in an ultrasonic cleaner and it stripped the paint right off, but didn't hurt the gunk a bit.

So I'm curious as to how these would do for a gun that isn't already reasonably clean before you put it in.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    We have an ultrasonic cleaner here at work. It's also a heated one...

We hardly ever use it for anything "official", though. Mostly, we put our eyeglasses in it and get all the gunk out from the nose pieces. HAH!

But, every once in a while, I've been known to bring in some gunky gun parts for cleaning. It generally works pretty well.

And when I pull the stuff out, I stick them in our drying oven that we use for regenerating silica gel desiccant.

Works like a charm!

-J-

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Don't expect great results with a jewelry cleaner. Ultrasonics are great but a real unit is expensive. My cleaner retails at about $500. The Harbor Freight unit is not a high quility one.

Top Bottom