• 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Move to ban DIY bullet kits is welcomed

Shot PC's mother wins fight to change law
    THE mother of murdered policeman Ian Broadhurst has welcomed a Government move to ban the sale of deadly bullet-making machines which she believes played a part in her son's death.

Kate O'Hara
    Crime Correspondent

Cindy Eaton launched a campaign to close a loophole in the law last year after it was revealed that it was legal to own all the component parts to make bullets without a licence, and only became a crime when the ammunition was fully made.

Former US Marine David Bieber, who shot her son dead on Boxing Day 2003, and attempted to murder his two colleagues, had built his own ammunitions factory in a Leeds lock-up which included powders, bullet cases and a bullet-making machine – all bought legally.
    During the trial Mr Justice Moses said the situation seemed "completely barmy", when told that Bieber had legally bought a Dillon RL550 bullet press and re-loader from a Hertfordshire gunshop, which he used to manufacture thousands of bullets in his home-made weapons factory.

But this week the Government unveiled its Violent Crime Reduction Bill, which includes banning component parts to make ammunition without a licence.

Tony Blair vowed to take action on home-made bullets following the shootings in West Yorkshire and yesterday Home Office Minister Hazel Blears confirmed the Boxing Day shootings had influenced the new rules.

Ms Blears said: "That incident was absolutely tragic. These provisions are part of our campaign to make it increasingly difficult for anybody to be able to convert weapons and fire live ammunition.
    "It's part of our efforts to bear down as much as we can and make it as difficult as it can be to be able to get and use firearms. It's not all in specific response to that case, but of course that affected us."
    Last night Mrs Eaton, who wrote to then-Home Secretary David Blunkett last year demanding the loophole be closed, told the Yorkshire Post: "I'm absolutely delighted. This campaign started with Ian's death and now we have achieved what we set out to do.
    "If the law hadn't been changed I would have just kept going – I was determined this loophole couldn't continue.

"We may never know how many lives will be saved by the decision to ban this equipment, but I'm sure there will be many.

"I will never forget Judge Moses's face when he was told it was legal to buy these things."

Mrs Eaton thanked her MP Mike Wood, who campaigned alongside her from the start.

The Labour MP for Batley and Spen raised the issue with the Prime Minister in the House of Commons following Bieber's conviction.
    Mr Wood said: "I am very pleased to see measures in this Bill which will close the loophole.

"Owning and purchasing ammunition is illegal in this country, to all intents and purposes, except to those who are properly licensed. To have a situation where the law can be subverted so easily is ludicrous.

"This Bill will see to it that anyone who wants to make their own ammunition faces the same stringent checks as someone who wants to own a firearm."

Mr Wood added: "Credit must go to Cindy Eaton who came away from the trial of her son's killer with the courage and determination to campaign to see this lethal loophole in the law closed."

As a result of Mrs Eaton's campaign, and after the Yorkshire Post found a Dillon RL550 for sale on eBay, Mr Wood wrote to the Internet auction site to express his concerns about re-loaders being available to buy online.

eBay responded by withdrawing them from sale.
    kate.o'hara@ypn.co.uk

Move to ban DIY bullet kits is welcomed - Yorkshire Post

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Yeah - 'cause you know - bullets just all get together, drink some beer, and make more bullets - all by themselves.

And then they go down to the local trigger and slide shows, sniff some black powder, get all wild and crazy, and the next thing you know they are shooting themselves off at innocent people.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    First they will be fine with the single stage press, but those Assault Dillons will have to go. Then they will limit you to 10 count primer tubes. Then you won't be able to get the after market Assault handles.

retgarr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    The story is a bit old (Tony Blair) but it shows we are in a battle of information. We have to let everyone know the facts relating to firearms. It is the best defense against this emotionally driven hysteria.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    So once we outlaw all guns, gun components, ammo, ammo components, the tools one might use to make anything, knives, baseball bats, etc and someone still manages to acquire such items and kill someone what will we be left to do.... I know... go after the criminals... nah... sorry guys, I get a little crazy there for a moment.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    To answer the question posed in your subject, this will have no impact on the US.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    To answer the question posed in your subject, this will have no impact on the US.

It doesn't directly effect me today but when any free people's rights are taken away by Government are the loss of my freedom's and rights far behind. Gun control started in Europe, Knife Confiscation and now the suppression of ammunition reloading is being considered. Where or When will it end?

"When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default, it can never be recovered."
    -- Dorothy Thompson

"When even one American - who has done nothing wrong - is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril."
    -- Harry Truman
    "This is America. You can do anything here."
    -- Robert E. Turner ~

"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it."
    -- Daniel Webster

"You can only be free if I am free."
    -- Clarence Darrow

"Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way around, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise."
    -- Adolf Hitler - Mein Kampf - (1926)

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    "Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way around, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise."
    -- Adolf Hitler - Mein Kampf - (1926)

Awesome quote!!! :thumbsup:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I so need to finish cleaning the garage enough to have my own "home-made weapons factory"! I keep cleaning brass and collecting components, but have not "finished the deal".

Top Bottom