Uggghhh, I know it's not always possible, BUT.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you have a hard time choosing between firearm A nd B, TRY TRY TRY to get to a range that rents the guns and try them side by side to find which works better for you. Or try to go to an open event where they will be at and try to use them.

At minimum try to go to a stocking dealer to fondle them even if shooting them isnt possible.

Going on the internetnet and askind which is better gets you no where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone who has ever bought a car without going on a test drive please raise your hand.

:xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

OK, rant off.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Agreed 100%.

rant.jpg

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Because what works for one person has little or no bering on what works for someone else.

Should I buy a Glock, M&P, or XD? That is a question that YOU neede to decide for yourself. Go handle, fondle, field strip, fondle some more, and best of all shoot them, before you buy. I may love the M&P and dislike the Glock...someone else is the opposite. So what, they are both great guns...everyone decides for themselves, ultimately (I hope at least) :)

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Because what works for one person has little or no bering on what works for someone else.

Should I buy a Glock, M&P, or XD? That is a question that YOU neede to decide for yourself. Go handle, fondle, field strip, fondle some more, and best of all shoot them, before you buy. I may love the M&P and dislike the Glock...someone else is the opposite. So what, they are both great guns...everyone decides for themselves, ultimately (I hope at least) :)

Yes, I know WHY you perform this action, which is why I referred to it as

very basic firearms purchasing protocol

What I don't understand is why the OP is so pizzled about what I consider to be the first step of any responsible firearms purchase?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Some people just like to waste their money and aren't going to listen to what you tell them or how practical their purchasing tactics might be.

My co-worker listens to us talk guns everyday at work. He applies and after 11 weeks of waiting gets his LLTCH. He runs to the gun shop and defying everything he has learned and the clerks recommendations, insists on buying a chrome, 2" .25 auto as his self defense weapon. When I asked why he decided on that particular gun, he replied, "It's pretty". Now he decides he wants and needs another gun and I am thinking finally ,he's come to his senses and is going to get something a bit more practical for self defense. Well, this time he goes and gets an even smaller .22 LR 2-shot derringer, again because it was "cute" and because a friend told him he didn't need anything larger than a .22 for self defense. He told me he's now ready for the next safety/range day now that he has guns to shoot. :)

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Some people just like to waste their money and aren't going to listen to what you tell them or how practical their purchasing tactics might be.

My co-worker listens to us talk guns everyday at work. He applies and after 11 weeks of waiting gets his LLTCH. He runs to the gun shop and defying everything he has learned and the clerks recommendations, insists on buying a chrome, 2" .25 auto as his self defense weapon. When I asked why he decided on that particular gun, he replied, "It's pretty". Now he decides he wants and needs another gun and I am thinking finally ,he's come to his senses and is going to get something a bit more practical for self defense. Well, this time he goes and gets an even smaller .22 LR 2-shot derringer, again because it was "cute". He told me he's now ready for the next safety/range day now that he has guns to shoot. :)

HAHAHAHAHH That's just comical.

That being said, a well placed .22 or .25 round can definitely ruin a BG's day but I don't want to rely on being able to place a round directly into someones throat/face to stop them immediately.

Sounds like this guy needs to be introduced to a "Box O' Truth" and shown the difference between a .22/.25 pistol and a 9mm/.40/.45 pistol.

That or show him the video (I'll try to find it and edit it into this post) of the guy who got shot 5 times with a .22 and then proceeded to murder the victim anyway.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I am not sure why the OP is so against impulse buying of guns. It's what allows some of us to get the guns cheaply when they decide it's not for them and they have no clue what to sell them for!

No my friend, I'm all about impulse buying! But it's not an impulse buy when you post, "What's better Bryco or Jennings as my 1st gun" in 17 diffrent forums, get 9,786 opinions taht range 627 diffrent firearms types over 6 weeks and then come back on week 7 with a post, " OK Guys, Finaly bought my 1st crossbow!"

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    No my friend, I'm all about impulse buying! But it's not an impulse buy when you post, "What's better Bryco or Jennings as my 1st gun" in 17 diffrent forums, get 9,786 opinions taht range 627 diffrent firearms types over 6 weeks and then come back on week 7 with a post, " OK Guys, Finaly bought my 1st crossbow!"

I still don't understand why you're so :xmad:.

Did you invest an amount of personal time and effort into this persons search for an appropriate firearm only to have it all thrown away when he decided to go with a crossbow instead of a firearm for recreational shooting?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I still don't understand why you're so :xmad:.

Did you invest an amount of personal time and effort into this persons search for an appropriate firearm only to have it all thrown away when he decided to go with a crossbow instead of a firearm for recreational shooting?

I used to, very much. Either in person or on teh internet, you try and give advice based on your personal experiance and findings in order to make someone elses experiance better than yours to no avail. It's like a child, I guess you have to learn for yourself. That's why I stay clear of most of those threads, rather than waste my time giving advice that odss are inst going to be taken I rather give the one piece of advice thatis true 24/7/365 is and that was in my original post.

1st hand experiance will always trump internet typing.

And although someone may be telling you about their experiance, that as we know wont always translate into your experiance. Advice and opinions are always good in using them to make and educated decision about your purchase, but some peopel on teh internet are looking for some magical answer that will guide them to perfection.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I used to, very much. Either in person or on teh internet, you try and give advice based on your personal experiance and findings in order to make someone elses experiance better than yours to no avail. It's like a child, I guess you have to learn for yourself.

No. Adults are worse than children. Most children don't take advice because they don't know better. Adults know better. Maybe it's an ego thing?

I do know what you mean though. I too get very frustrated when we talk guns to my friend every day, he always knods in agreement, asks questions, reads all the articles and magazines but then when the time comes to choose he does just the opposite of what he has learned and read and throws common sense right out the window.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    The best thing I can say is that you could just ask here to see if a member has what you are looking for and I am sure (if you provide the ammo) they would be happy to get out and show you not only how they shoot but how you feel behind the weapon.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    That's why I stay clear of most of those threads, rather than waste my time giving advice that odss are inst going to be taken I rather give the one piece of advice thatis true 24/7/365 is and that was in my original post.

No offense, but if we all allowed the actions of a few idiots to stop us from offering advice and info to others, there would be a vast amount of people with even less education than they have now. I for one have learned a lot from people just like yourself being generous enough to share their knowledge. I can understand how it can feel like a slap in the face if someone makes a poor decision when you know they were better informed, but they won't all be like that. You probably have no idea how many people you may have helped directly or indirectly by information being share among others down the line. There will always be those that have to learn the hard way. :twocents:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I like talking about guns, and I like helping people pick out a new one.

Strangely, it's the sort of talk I'd expect to find here, what with this being a gun site, and all :D

I know it can get repetitive after a while, but it's worth remembering that you don't have to read, or answer, the threads. I'll pass on them if I don't feel like offering the same input I've offered many times before. Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    My co-worker listens to us talk guns everyday at work. He applies and after 11 weeks of waiting gets his LLTCH. He runs to the gun shop and defying everything he has learned and the clerks recommendations, insists on buying a chrome, 2" .25 auto as his self defense weapon. When I asked why he decided on that particular gun, he replied, "It's pretty". snip

I've sold more than a few brightly chromed Cobra .380s for that very reason. This after providing an honest answer ("It's a piece of crap, I wouldn't take it if it were free") when asked if it's a good gun LOL.

Top Bottom