• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    President Obama is sending U.S. combat troops to Africa to fight the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) and hunt down the terrorist leader Joseph Kony.

Current battlefields: Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen

Next up: Uganda, Sudan, Congo, Central African Republic

When the next Republican takes office: Iran, Syria, ????

Keep supporting the Military-Industrial Complex. :yesway:

Obama Sends 100 U.S. Troops to Uganda to Combat Lord's Resistance Army
    Two days ago President Obama authorized the deployment to Uganda of approximately 100 combat-equipped U.S. forces to help regional forces “remove from the battlefield” – meaning capture or kill – Lord’s Resistance Army leader Joseph Kony and senior leaders of the LRA.

The forces will deploy beginning with a small group and grow over the next month to 100. They will ultimately go to Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, with the permission of those countries.
    225609_201588543211988_165801456790697_476036_3616242_n.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's really hard to take you seriously when you can't let the facts speak for themselves and have to push everything to the hysterical grand-standing stage.

Seriously. You aren't winning any converts with this approach. It's a huge turn-off and I'm in agreement with you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I dont think these will be "combat" troops per say, just advisors. I've never heard of the LRA and have no idea what kind of man power or weapon power they are capable of?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Interesting. Obama claims that it is in our national security interests to do this, but is this group of savages really a threat to our national security?

I'll be glad to see them destroyed, but I'm not sure I'd really support it as foreign policy.

Just out of curiosity, is this something that the service members would typically be allowed to volunteer for? Or is it more of an assigned job?

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    That's how U.S. involvement in Vietnam got started in the 1950s.

First their were U.S. advisors in Vietnam long before that during WW2 helping the communists fight the japanese after the French gave up.

Second I doubt that Uganda will be seen to represent part of a domino effect as Vietnam was.

Not that I advocate sending more U.S. troops to foreign soil, but the U.S. has been deploying combat advisors all around the world for a long time. This is not really a new phenomenon.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    It's really hard to take you seriously when you can't let the facts speak for themselves and have to push everything to the hysterical grand-standing stage.

Seriously. You aren't winning any converts with this approach. It's a huge turn-off and I'm in agreement with you.

Just so long as you agree that sending American soldiers to yet another country to police them is a poor exercise of our vast power, morally and financially, then who cares? He said something to make you speak up even if just to yell at him for it. I think these exercises in nation building have got to stop. We're on the hook for a grand total of some $200 trillion dollars all told.2 x 10 to the twelfth power. A literal series of warehouses stacked end to end with hundred dollar bills. And we're doing combat in yet another nation, putting our troops at risk while we rack up more debt? For what?
    We're getting no value out of putting our dollars or power to use like this.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Something else i'd never heard of

"
    Efforts by the Ugandan army in early 2009 ('Operation Lightning Thunder') to inflict a final military defeat on the LRA were not fully successful. Rather, the US-supported operation resulted in brutal revenge attacks by the LRA, with over 1,000 people killed in Congo and Sudan. The military action in the did not result in the capture or killing of Kony, who remained elusive."

Wonder what kind of "support" we gave? Maybe just information? Wiki says they may have as many as 3,000 troops, though alot are supposedly children. I'm wondering if US involvement there will result in something similiar to Afghan or Iraq, where those wars have drawn people from the surrounding countries that dislike us to the cause of the terrorists.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

Just like we weren't going to have boots on the ground in Libya.....

UGH .... The yahoo article i read an hour ago or so said they would only attack in self defense situations and would only be there for advise .... Which is why congress wouldnt have to vote on sending the troops there.

So now that they are "combat" troops, congress should have to vote to give the OK right? I guess that doesnt matter beings congress never voted on Libya, but they should still need to vote correct?

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    A couple of ODAs training up troopers is not the same as direct action.

We have Special Forces doing this across the globe, ram. How is this any different?:dunno:
    Granted, we do not want to see the U.S. involved in another war, but as Kirk posts, we have "100s" of troops in many countries.

Top Bottom