Two times in 2 days had my gun this time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    We went to TX over the weekend to get all our stuff we left in storage and bring it back. On our way back this morning around 1:30am we decided to stop in Tulsa OK and get a hotel room for the night. I had my wife and son with me and was towing our blazer on a car dolly behind the U Haul. She had got her bag out of the Blazer and I gave her the room key and told her to head on up with our son.

I was double checking everything and as I was putting a padlock on the U Haul a Dodge charger flies in the parking lot screeching tires to a stop about 20 yards from me. I eyeballed it for a second then started walking towards our room about 100 yards away. I got almost there and heard running behind me, when I turned around there was a guy and girl running straight at my U Haul from the car. She got about 10 feet from it and the guy tackled her to the ground and she started screaming. I stepped behind a concrete pillar and called 911 as they were wrestling and hitting each other on the pavement. That's when I realized I had no idea what road I was on or anything so I ran to the office of the Hotel to get the address and as I was coming back out he was dragging the woman back to the car. As I stepped out in the parking lot heading their way he threw her in the car, closed the doors and started to take off. I turned to go back to our room and the police showed up as they were pulling out into the road. He followed them around a corner where I lost them.

I'll hopefully know a little more when the Tulsa jail booking updates tomorrow. I really want to know if they arrested the guy. Tulsa has a website that lists all crimes and jail bookings.

Since she took off running towards my U Haul I believe she seen me when they pulled in and thought I was still there when she was running towards it for help. I hope she's ok, and on one hand I wish I could have still been at the U Haul to help her but on the other hand I'm glad I was able to stay back and call for help instead of being forced into it without a choice since I didn't know the entire situation and weather or not he was armed. 20 seconds of walking towards my room is probably the only thing that kept me from pulling my gun out this morning.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I am glad you cared enough to envolve your self in any way you did. It seems its easy to walk away and let life happen but some people need help and we need to help. Glad you stayed safe and nothing crazy went down seeing you had your family there. Hope you had a good trip and thanks for being more than a set of eyes.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Would have been great to have a weapon to take that guy to gun point and wait for the police!

I did have my G27 my right hand was griping it the entire time while holding the phone with my left hand. Unfortunately I couldn't just run to her rescue and hold him since I didn't know exactly where I was at. Lot a good 911 does if I can't tell them a location to go to. There are 5 Motels in Tulsa under the same name.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Depending on your cell phone they can locate your position. My phone (palm) has the option to turn it on, off, or off in all situations except 911. I've called 911 to advise authorities about a stranded motorist in a quiet stretch of interstate (I couldn't turn around, late at night, looked like a lone female, and out in middle of nowhere). When I dialed I could see an icon on my phone recognize that it was 911 and the GPS kicked in.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Despite what they say, there is no way to actually turn it off from 911 calls, I've tried. I would assume this was the girls "pimp" and she likely owes him a ton of money for various drugs....you may have made her problem worse inadvertently.

That's very possible and another one of a million reasons I didn't just run straight in the middle of it.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I did have my G27 my right hand was griping it the entire time while holding the phone with my left hand. Unfortunately I couldn't just run to her rescue and hold him since I didn't know exactly where I was at. Lot a good 911 does if I can't tell them a location to go to. There are 5 Motels in Tulsa under the same name.

Most cellphones made in the last 6-7 years have a gps chip that automatically turns on and relays your position when 911 is dialed. I'm sure Tulsa is big enough that their emergency services would pick it up.
    But I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to just hope that it worked and they'd find you in a situation like that.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    You did what I would have done. Contacted 911 and then stay out of the problem, no matter who or what is getting the snot beat out of them.

There problems are not my problems. I wouldn’t intervene physically or verbally even if Queen Elizabeth herself was taking a beat down by thugs.

Call me cold hearted or whatever, but in this day and age you just can’t take the chance.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Most cellphones made in the last 6-7 years have a gps chip that automatically turns on and relays your position when 911 is dialed. I'm sure Tulsa is big enough that their emergency services would pick it up.
    But I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to just hope that it worked and they'd find you in a situation like that.

Yep and my phone is GPS enabled, Verizon will not activate new phones anymore unless they are GPS.

The problem lies in GPS accuracy. In TN there was a person killed because the GPS gave them a location over a mile away. As it is in most cases gps can only give a radius as to where it believes you are, and when in a city next to a tall building, power lines, electronics it's even less accurate. My GPS system in my truck losses signal if I place it to close to the XM radio.

The last thing I would want is police searching the next block over because that's where they think I'm at. Physical address is the best possible tool for getting assistance fast.

crudolph00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    FREETOWN
    Good job. Sometimes being an excellent witness is exactly the path you should take. You don't know the backstory of what evolved prior to your interjection into the scenario.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    They arrested the guy :rockwoot::rockwoot:

IIC Inmate Details

The time seemed off at first but then I remembered I was looking at our time when it happened. Looks like he didn't have a gun, oh well I'm still glad I was able to stay directly out of it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    You did what I would have done. Contacted 911 and then stay out of the problem, no matter who or what is getting the snot beat out of them.

There problems are not my problems. I wouldn’t intervene physically or verbally even if Queen Elizabeth herself was taking a beat down by thugs.

Call me cold hearted or whatever, but in this day and age you just can’t take the chance.

You just can't charge with gun in hand, cause you don't know the details:dunno: What if the guy was robbed by this crack smoking lady, what if it's a lover's quarrel:dunno: I've seen where a guy tried to help a lady being body slammed in a car by her boyfriend, instead our hero got his butt handed to him & then had his keys toss into the next county at night, the hero never found his keys. & the lady left with her boyfriend:( DON'T RISK YOUR SAFETY without knowing the F A C T S:twocents:

Top Bottom