• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    First is primers last a long time and can be tumbled.... i tumble using corn cob media and FLITZ polish compound.... i tumbled some .38 casings for about 24 hours while i was at the fire department and came home to figure out that i had 200 resized and primed cases.... i havent touched .38's since i left for iraq so i must have primed them before leaving so its been at least TWO YEARS.... test fired 20 or 30 of them and EVERY ONE went bang.... loaded up 500 .38's and 200 45 long colts tonight.

Second is a couple quick sprays of ONE SHOT lube spray into the bucket of clean casings really really helps them run through the press.... i am using carbide dies so i dont have to lube but i figured i would try it anyways and the whole proccess went much smoother and i kept a much better "feel" for the press while running it.... well worth the 25 cents of spray that i used....

Hope this helps someone out there.

IGW

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Just in the last year I loaded up the last of my ALCAN (ever hear of them?)primers that were purchased in the '60s. Burnt up 2500 rounds without a failure. These were not always kept under supreme conditions. Some had been wet and some had been soaked by an opened tube of case lube. Face it! They're hard to kill.

I always use a lube of some sort (not one-shot though) regardless of dies being carbide or not. Silicone dry lube from an auto parts supplier is cheaper, lasts longer, and does a better job.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Some gun mag. article some time ago ran an informal (not lab.) test on ammo. They did all sorts of things to the ammo,WD-40,solvent, water,etc. Log story short, the powder would get contaminated more than the primers.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    well just finished my day of reloading and it ended with a stuck case in my .223 die... not enough lube inside the case mouth and it got stuck on the expander ball...oh well at least its a dillon... will ship it to them on friday and have it back in a week and a half fixed upgraded and all free of course.... gotta love dillon.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    My dad keeps telling me that even with the carbide dies that a shot of lube makes the whole reloading process a lot easier. I didn't really know where he was coming from, but I guess you learned today what he learned years ago.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I use One Shot for pistol, but the Dillon lube for rifle. I like the one shot because it's less mess and I don't worry about it being on the finished case (many 10's of thousands of rounds and no problems). The dillon lube is slicker I think for rifle rounds. I know lots of people who have stuck cases w/ one shot. But I tumble the finished rifle rounds for a couple minute to get the dillon lube off.

Unless it's an old die and different than dillon's current dies, your 223 die should have a built-in stuck case tool. Pull the cotter pin, spin the lock nut up, then crank the whole assembly down. Instructions on pg 4 here: http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-Die-Instructions-May-2007.pdf

tumbling primed empty cases, I'd be concerned media could get suck down in the primer / flash hole?

-rvb

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    well just finished my day of reloading and it ended with a stuck case in my .223 die... not enough lube inside the case mouth and it got stuck on the expander ball...oh well at least its a dillon... will ship it to them on friday and have it back in a week and a half fixed upgraded and all free of course.... gotta love dillon.

I had a 223 case stick in my dillon resize die yesterday pulled the pin ran down the stuck case remover and nothing removed the stuck case remover from the die and it tore it is all mashed up never had that happen before. i was going to call dillon taday to see if their no bs warranty covers their dies or not but i guess it does! god i love dillon. just wish there were some dealers around here!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    tumbling primed empty cases, I'd be concerned media could get suck down in the primer / flash hole?

-rvb

Appears to be a non issue... used a flashlight to look in all the holes and saw no media left in there.... ill let you all know when i fire them

I had a 223 case stick in my dillon resize die yesterday pulled the pin ran down the stuck case remover and nothing removed the stuck case remover from the die and it tore it is all mashed up never had that happen before. i was going to call dillon taday to see if their no bs warranty covers their dies or not but i guess it does! god i love dillon. just wish there were some dealers around here!

even if there were dealers you will have to ship the die back to dillon to have it removed

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The part about copper not going all the way around the 45 acp bullets??? seems odd to me.... and i dont know how your inertia puller throws powder around.... were you not emptying it between each round?

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    The part about copper not going all the way around the 45 acp bullets??? seems odd to me.... and i dont know how your inertia puller throws powder around.... were you not emptying it between each round?
    He probably meant base of FMJ bullet not covered by jacket,probably swinging puller after bullet loose in puller.Powder will come out between collet and shell case:dunno:

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    He probably meant base of FMJ bullet not covered by jacket,probably swinging puller after bullet loose in puller.Powder will come out between collet and shell case:dunno:

Right and close.

I had the little o-ring collet doohickey in backwards for the first 50 or so. When I would turn it over to dump it I had to unscrew it about 1/2 way to get the bullet to drop. The powder would fall into the threads between the collet nd the cap and on me on the next swing. It was nice.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Right and close.

I had the little o-ring collet doohickey in backwards for the first 50 or so. When I would turn it over to dump it I had to unscrew it about 1/2 way to get the bullet to drop. The powder would fall into the threads between the collet nd the cap and on me on the next swing. It was nice.

HMMM i dont have ANY problems with spilling power with my puller.... its the all plastic berry's manufacturing one... works really well i suppose... i have never used a differant one

Top Bottom