• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I shot a few really awesome targets with my rifle this week. My twist rate is 1:9 I was shooting 62gn hollow points. I then switched to 55gn FMJ and could not duplicate the results. My other AR is an LMT with 1:7 twist will it do better with the lighter Bullets?? Am I now in a position where I will have to keep 2 different weight bullets on hand one for each of my AR's? Both rifles are 16"...

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm sure I could be wrong, but I thought that a 1:7 twist would actually perform better with heavier bullets. My SIG 556 is 1:7 twist and does well with heavier bullets.

Again, I'm fairly new to this stuff. I think I have read somewhere that the 62 grain round performs best in a 1:9 twist.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Lighter bullets slower twist, heavier bullets faster twist.
    A faster twist can do a couple of things to lighter rounds, first it can make the nose stay up as it goes it downward path, sorta like a plane landing tail first, second it can actually make a light round over spin and break apart due to rpm's over 30,000.

I used to have a old Remington 244 (now the 6mm rem) that could not fire anything over 90gr because of the twist rate being to slow.

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Lighter bullets slower twist, heavier bullets faster twist.
    A faster twist can do a couple of things to lighter rounds, first it can make the nose stay up as it goes it downward path, sorta like a plane landing tail first, second it can actually make a light round over spin and break apart due to rpm's over 30,000.

I used to have a old Remington 244 (now the 6mm rem) that could not fire anything over 90gr because of the twist rate being to fast.

Wait this doesn't make since you say heavy bullet faster twist but then you say you couldn't fire anything heavier because the twist rate was too fast that's backwards...

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    If I remember correctly, 1:12 with a 20" barrel was the best twist for 55 grain bullets. I haven't seen one for a long time, but I am sure there are a few guys on the forum that have them in that twist.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    If I remember correctly, 1:12 with a 20" barrel was the best twist for 55 grain bullets. I haven't seen one for a long time, but I am sure there are a few guys on the forum that have them in that twist.

So then the twist rate on both my rifles is too fast for 55gn bullets....

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I used to have a old Remington 244 (now the 6mm rem) that could not fire anything over 90gr because of the twist rate being to slow.

Wait this doesn't make since you say heavy bullet faster twist but then you say you couldn't fire anything heavier because the twist rate was too fast that's backwards...

My bad, in my hast I did not proof read!!. Corrected to read SLOW!!

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    That was way too much to read at this time of the morning...

Well it should have put ya to
    sleeping.gif
    since it's so long!

Top Bottom