• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey INGO,

What is your shotgun setup for turkey hunting? What gun? Sights/optics? Camo'ed, synthetic, or wood finish?

I'm thinking of trying to shoot a gobbler this Spring. I am also thinking this may be a good excuse to get a new shotgun...

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I don't hunt but I did win this in a raffle this summer........

P1160062.jpg

P1160065.jpg

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    69   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I am picking up a Super Nova in the next few weeks for turkey. I would look into the Super Nova or the regular Nova. If you have the money for an auto loader then I would check out the 1187 or pretty much anything from Benelli or Browning. Then you just need to find a good choke/shell combination for your shotgun.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I use a Remington Sportsman 1187-Mossy Oak Breakup Camo Pattern (But you can also get 1100's that chamber the 3" also). I use a Remington branded Turkey choke that IIRC is XXFull. I use Remington 3" Turkey Load #5 shot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Remington 870 Express Supermag, 23" Remchoke vent rib. Flat black all over.
    I use WW High Velocity #4 3" for turkeys with a Remchoke Superfull.
    Ran the same gun on doves, with Mod choke and cheap steel of #6 this year.
    Not the ideal setup, but still shot 50% :)
    Farthest tom to date was 42 yards

I have an 1100 magnum with a steel shot bbl on it, so can use my Superfull there if I want.
    BTW, a reg 1100 and a Magnum 1100 differ by action sleeve and barrel. One can convert a reg 2 3/4"1100 to 3" Magnum (lead or steel)
    by changing those items. Swapping the bbl only makes it good for 3" steel max.

picture.php

Last edited:

ktimme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I currently use a benellin nova, camo, with true glow sights. Works like a charm! Used to take many birds in Kansas and Indiana. shoots 3.5" shells no problem.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

I currently have an 11-87 in all black synthetic. My two concerns were that it is not camo and I currently just have a 28" barrel with a bead.

So how important is camo and better optics/sights?

I would love to get a new semi-auto, but just not sure if I can justify that big of an expense in a gun for a turkey hunting...

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Turkeys have great eyesight they can & do see every little thing that is out of place or not supposed to be there. You can spook them just by blinking your eye if they are watching you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW moving a camo gun when you shouldn't will get you screwed.
    Matte black is fine (don't move it when you shouldn't either).
    Lots of sticks look jet black in the woods, esp with moisture on them.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I use an 870 Express super-mag with a 26 inch barrel that has a bead halfway down the barrel to help with aiming. The gun is all black with a synthetic stock. Its worked perfectly fine for my 3 birds so far.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    I use a 11-87 with a 22' smooth bore slug barrel with screw in choke. I use a X full Comp-n-choke with 3" 1 3/4 oz #4 shot with Win. High Velo shells. Switched out the Rem sights to Tru-Glow... The 22' is very handy in the bushes and makeshift natural blinds..Graveyard dead turkeys out to 55yds. Long barrels are a PITA as you carry the gun much more than you shoot it and a longer barrel will hit more brush when you are trying to get on the bird. My gun is 42.5 in. long, very handy.

vibrationeng

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    S. Indiana
    I use a Remington 870 Express with a 20" rifle sights Rem choke barrel with a Rem turkey choke. Matte finished wood and metal. I've taken many turkeys with this combo out to 40 yds.

dsb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    I use a Remington 870 supermag with a MadMax Turkey Choke and a Bushnell Holosight (similiar to a Eotech) for optics. I have killed turkeys at 55 yards. The Holosight is overkill, but it was new out at the time when I bought my 870. I thought the holosight would be good if I had to shoot with right handed (Im a lefty) which i never had too.

Top Bottom