• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Decapping Brass Before Tumbling

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Handgun brass using carbide dies,( no case lube needed) tumble with primers intact,rifle brass I tumble once with primers intact and again after sizing to remove case lube and then trim brass and using the Lee Trim tool remove any media that gets in the flash hole.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I leave the primers in... tried both, and spent more time removing media from flash holes... no benefit that I could see to de-capping first....

just my experience..... to each his/her own

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I leave the spent primers in when I tumble brass. I don't clean pistol brass primer pockets. I generally don't clean rifle brass primer pockets, but when I'm loading using once fired or new rifle brass, I use a primer pocket uniformer I got from Sinclair Int'l. I chuck it in a drill press. The brass comes out with the primer pockets uniformed and clean.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    handgun I tumble before decap. Then just toss the brass on the progressive press (lube w/ one-shot and leave it on).

rifle I tumble before decap, lube, size/decap/trim, then tumble again to remove lube and trim shavings. Then first stage in the progressive is a universal decapper to remove any tumbling media from the hole.

didn't vote, you need a "depends" option.

-rvb

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I leave the primers in... tried both, and spent more time removing media from flash holes... no benefit that I could see to de-capping first....

just my experience..... to each his/her own

I could not say it better, but will add the fear of leaving a piece of media (by chance) in a flash hole worries me!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    the fear of leaving a piece of media (by chance) in a flash hole worries me!

every time you decap, you stick a little metal rod through the hole to push out the old primer, so I don't see how you could leave media in there. I've loaded, oh, 80k-90k rounds in the last 5 years, never happened yet.

-rvb

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    every time you decap, you stick a little metal rod through the hole to push out the old primer, so I don't see how you could leave media in there. I've loaded, oh, 80k-90k rounds in the last 5 years, never happened yet.

-rvb

I was addressing that if you decap then tumble and use a single stage press(s) as I use a universal decapper as part of my process in a stand-alone press. When its time to resize (a different press) I don't have the decapping pin running through the flash hole since I decap at a different station and usually a different time. If I were assured that if you have any form of stickiness (lube, media add-ins) on the media or pin where it could stick to the pin as it goes through the hole to push it out and as you retract the pin the media goes right back into the hole or near it and that didn't happen then I'd be good with it and consider changing my process.

I think it boils down to your personal processes for safety and efficiency reasons. We all have our own process and I like mine. I don't keep count of how many rounds I've made... its just my opinion. Also, I'm addressing rifle not pistol rounds as that is a different process and press on the reloading bench (progressive).

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I tumble before I decap to avoid buildup of dirt ina grime insige my dies, then tumble again to clean any lube off. I always check and clean primer pockets before i prime them. I dump all shells from a days shooting into one of my tumblers when I get home, then sort them into storage bins. That way they are ready to go next time I'm ready to reload them.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    <snip> I dump all shells from a days shooting into one of my tumblers when I get home, then sort them into storage bins. That way they are ready to go next time I'm ready to reload them.

I think this is a great idea! I sort when I get home but then throw them in the appropriate container until I'm ready to begin processing.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Buy a universal decapping die and then clean your brass if you want...then you will have clean brass to size and your decapping pin will knock out any tumbling media that might be in the flash hole.But you will find out that the only way to get the primer pockets clean would be to take a brush to each one or use a ultrasonic cleaner after the primers are knocked out.

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    1) Tumble brass
    2) Lube the entire batch,(I don't have carbide dies)
    3) Decap and size in first die at the same time
    4) Re-tumble after a quick brake parts or other oil dissolving rinse
    5) Sit in living room watch TV and check flash hole and hand prime case
    6) for 9mm, flare and, trickle powder in same step, place in reload tray
    7) hand place bullet, 100 at a time before seat and crimp stage,(one die)

Just my little routine, use it, ignore it, or better yet- comment on how I can be better. Totally open minded to constructive criticism:twocents:

Top Bottom