• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Tumbled my first batch of brass and once the brass was nice and shiny I pulled it out. Then I noticed some of the brass had media inside, stuck to some black residue still on the walls.

Do i need to tumble the brass longer?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    About 6 hrs. Its the really fine corn cob media that andrew/profire sells with some of their brass polish

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    If you are using "Fine" media I fail to see how media could get stuck inside the cases. They were not wet/moist in any way were they?

I tumble brass by the thousands and since I have discovered "Fine" media which to me is 20/40 grit I have no media stuck anywhere, not even in the primer pocket or flash holes. In fact the media is fine enough to flow thru the flash hole.

Who added the polish? If it was you, was it wet polish and you did not allow it to disperse in the media before tumbling?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Whenever you add polish, it is good to let the vibrator run for 15 minutes or more so the liquid has a chance to dry. Do not expect vibration tumblers with dry media to make the insides of the cases shiney. They will not do that even if you run it 24 hours. The good news is, there is no reason to worry about it. The Powder and the bullet never notice the black soot staining the inside. Good Luck

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    What caliber is the brass??

6 hours is more than enough. Shake the heck out of it in you media separator.

This MAY?? Help. Depends on caliber of brass.

If you are using "Fine" media I fail to see how media could get stuck inside the cases. They were not wet/moist in any way were they?

I tumble brass by the thousands and since I have discovered "Fine" media which to me is 20/40 grit I have no media stuck anywhere, not even in the primer pocket or flash holes. In fact the media is fine enough to flow thru the flash hole.

Who added the polish? If it was you, was it wet polish and you did not allow it to disperse in the media before tumbling?

^^^jc is right on track. When you add polish to your media, you NEED to run tumbler for AT LEAST 20-30 min. to completely mix--not leave clumps of polish/media.

For ME--I will NOT usually clean small diameter (.22 Hornet, .222 Rem., .223 Rem., or .22-250 Rem.) right after I add polish to the media. I will usually clean some 'Short+Fat' cases first (.40 S&W, or .45acp.) to throughly mix up the polish, so that it does not clump.

Polish+media stuck in a .223 Rem. case is a PAIN IN THE ARSE...Bill.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    no its not a polish issue. I went back and looked at the brass just not, and found that it was limited to one specific case. All the Fiocchi GFL marked brass has the issue, nothing else. I had 50 round of Fiocchi brass in this batch, and all of the other brass was fine. Its something actually inside the case, some burned on black carbon looking stuff that the media is sticking too. I tossed that brass in with the next batch to see if it will clean up or not.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    no idea. this brass is all de-primed. the ammo was actually pretty new. I just purchased it at Beech Grove Firearms for use on their range like a week ago.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    What CALIBER??

no its not a polish issue. I went back and looked at the brass just not, and found that it was limited to one specific case. All the Fiocchi GFL marked brass has the issue, nothing else. I had 50 round of Fiocchi brass in this batch, and all of the other brass was fine. Its something actually inside the case, some burned on black carbon looking stuff that the media is sticking too. I tossed that brass in with the next batch to see if it will clean up or not.

Different caliber cases will have different problems==What is the caliber of rounds that you are having problems with???...Bill

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    its all 9mm.

this is my first go round with reloading, and my first time cleaning brass ;) 9mm is all I have dies for at the moment, and I figure its about the easiest to start with.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    its all 9mm.

Good deal Clay..It probably?? is the sealer that is used in some inport/military ammo on the bullet seal+primer pocket. Try a .40/.45cal worn cleaning brush dipped in thinner or acetone.
    Either way, it should not affect your loads..Bill.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Yes resized but using carbide dies so no lube. I think billybob hit the nail on the head. All the areas where media sticks is just below where the bullet seats.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well I let that brass tumble over night, still have media stuck inside the GFL cases. Oh well, I can clean the up a bit.

thanks everyone!

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    I had the same problem after tumbling some brass that used the lead free primers. I had to clean it out with an bore brush and a drill. Some of it was stuck it there like tar.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I would say to lean them out as Billybob stated, if that does not work toss them in the recycle bin. 9mm brass is cheap enough that I wouldn't worry about them. Not to mention, the great deal of time wasted on those specific cases and resulting headache! When it comes to my brass (9mm, 45, 223, 300blk) I toss them in the tumbler for 30 minutes, then pull them out. As long as the majority of the carbon is off I really do not care what they look like.

Top Bottom