• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, this is another ugly situation, with USian class issues sprinkled on top.
    ?Pay to Play? Cop Shot Unarmed Black Man - The Daily Beast

A rich donor to Tulsa police mistakenly pulled out his gun instead of his Taser and blasted a fleeing suspect.
    The volunteer cop in Tulsa, Oklahoma, who killed an unarmed black man was forking over thousands in donations and equipment after becoming an unpaid sheriff’s deputy.

Another link:
    Oklahoma black suspect shooting video released - BBC News

I believe the taser/Glock confusion has been brought up before. (Paging the resident lawyer-nanny.) ;)

(Almost posted this in Tactics and Training, but it is more LEO-specific training.)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is one reason why every deadly weapon/less than deadly combo platform is a non-starter (not that this was the case here).

My knee jerk reaction is to think that tasers and pistols should be completely different in feel and deployment, but it seems like this is an exceedingly rare circumstance (is it?) and is more of a training/experience issue, so if it's really rare, there's no real need for everyone to change based upon one wannabe knucklehead.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My informal estimate is probably half a dozen reports a year in the media. Not sure if that's statistically significant or not.

Also wondering if INGOterrium would favor murder charges, or something less.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Hope he gets stuck with negligent homicide, thats what this was at a minimal. I'm not a cop-basher but I feel they often get a little too much lee-way when a killing is unjustified, and while I understand they have to have some priveleges extended to ensure there is no hasty action taken during a honest-to-goodness justified shoot, I don't think they should be getting a paid vacation for crap like this. I didn't see anywhere where it said this particular officer was treated in the same manner, but this article has made me think about how some officers are not charged when they really should be. (IM NOT TALKING ABOUT FERGUSON)

Color isn't the issue here, the penalty for officers is. I respect that officers offer a valuable service to their communities, but they are not any better than any other citizen.

I'm sure this has been said a million times, but IDC :rolleyes:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @HM

Law review overview from 2012:
    Weapon Confusion

Interestingly:
    An officer who shot a man running away who was only suspected of a misdemeanor failure to pay child support was not entitled to summary judgment. Even though the officer claimed he intended to use his Taser M26 rather than his gun, a jury could view the shooting as objectively unreasonable. The suspect posed no threat of death or serious bodily injury to anyone. As for the officer's alleged confusion between his gun and his Taser, the appeals court noted that the Taser was holstered approximately a foot lower than his gun was, had no thumb safety, unlike his gun, and only weighed half as much as his gun. Because of these facts, the officer should have realized he was holding and shooting his gun. Henry v. Purnell, #08-7433, 652 F.3d 524, 2011 U.S. App. Lexis 14391 (4th Cir. en banc), cert. denied, Purnell v. Henry, #11-458, 132 S. Ct. 781 (2011).See, "Qualified Immunity, Mistaken Shootings, and the Persistent Importance of Perspective: Henry v. Purnell, 652 F.3d 524 (4th Cir. en banc)," by Stephen Wills Murphy, 63 South Carolina Law Review 1057 (2012).

Also, probably the most widely-known incident:
    BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Officer was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, 2 yr. sentence.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, internet site of a law review. Make of that what you will. :D

Edit: Oops, "law journal" not review. Same diff, right?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A very bad thing all around.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that the BBC actually mentioned the Ferguson and SC shootings in a responsible manner, without engaging in the journalistic malpractice of so much of the the U.S. media by only mentioning those shootings at the very end of the report, without using any of these words in mentioning them: connected, related, linked, etc.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    This is why I wore my Taser on my left side set up to draw with my left hand. No chance of confusion.

Exactly right. When I became the departments taser instructor and we upgraded to the X2 platform, I outfitted every officer with support side carry taser holsters. A few guys *****ed and moaned initially, but after a lot of training they're efficient and no longer complain. I can think of two separate instances in the past year where guys have transitioned from their gun to their taser simultaneously. It all boils down to training.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Exactly right. When I became the departments taser instructor and we upgraded to the X2 platform, I outfitted every officer with support side carry taser holsters. A few guys *****ed and moaned initially, but after a lot of training they're efficient and no longer complain. I can think of two separate instances in the past year where guys have transitioned from their gun to their taser simultaneously. It all boils down to training.

I'm interested in viewpoints from you and other officers. However, something like this was my first thought. I've been in a few activities where you prepare to have to react quickly (skydiving, scuba, shooting). It's an absolute necessity that you don't put 2 similar feeling handles, that have 2 different functions, right next to each other.

The liberal media outrage on this is ridiculous, implying the reserve officer was a "donor who played cop". These same liberal rags identified the reserve officer that stopped the Oklahoma beheading as a "highly trained officer" when they wanted to contrast him to armed citizens. That reserve officer was probably also a wealthy guy, and these buttheads have no idea they are talking about the same kind of position.

They are also calling it a "hunt" as if the guy went out to kill someone intentionally.

I do think this reserve officer needs serious consequences. You carry deadly force around, you are responsible for pulling the trigger. I hope the overall result is that more departments take actions like you did, and not actions that hurt their reserve officer program.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is one reason why every deadly weapon/less than deadly combo platform is a non-starter (not that this was the case here).

My knee jerk reaction is to think that tasers and pistols should be completely different in feel and deployment, but it seems like this is an exceedingly rare circumstance (is it?) and is more of a training/experience issue, so if it's really rare, there's no real need for everyone to change based upon one wannabe knucklehead.

Under stress where you draw from is much more important than the feel of what's in your hand.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

I don't think I would call a Reserve Officer a wannabe, these instances have happened with full-timers as well. Not a function of status but likely training.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not calling all reserve officers "wannabes". I'm calling this reserve officer a wannabe.

...based upon what I have read. Possibly, I am misinformed, but it's more than one report.

Top Bottom