• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I am just trying to be as informed as I can by learning from experienced people so sorry if I am not up on everything currently.

But that said it is alittle overwhelming for new people to hand guns. I mean before you really look into it, it is like a gun is a gun and you pick it up and fire it and its all the same.

It really isnt like that though until you are very experienced I guess.

Anyway, theres more to all of this than model. There is also the VAST possibilities of scenarios you can be in and may have to USE the gun in. and they do relate somewhat to handling and size of gun and such.

So here are 2 scenarios specifically for when I would be carrying my handgun:

scenario 1
    Say even if it was a case of mistaken identity, someone pins you in in your car. they jump out of their vehicle screaming about whatever it is they are crazy about and start for you.... i guess theres 2 cases.... one they have a gun and one they have a knife. in what case would you be in the right to make a decision to even use your gun.

scenario2

Say 3 seedy looking guys are walking down the street they see you then they look around and dont see anyone else around. 1-3 of them pull a gun you see it. You have time to pull yours but... do you pull ? run away assuming they wont shoot you in the back? do you talk first?

just curious

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I would not shoot someone unless:
    1. I was afraid for my, or someone elses, life.
    2. The bad guy(s) have some sort of means of killing me. (weapon, or physical strength)
    3. The bad guy(s) have the oppertunity to cause harm. (Someone with a knife, standing outside your house, yelling threats, can not hurt you, as long as they remain outside.)

Scenario 1: If they have a knife, and my car windows are rolled up, I don't shoot- but I will have my weapon ready. If they come with a gun, I shoot.

Scenario 2: I'd draw my weapon, look for cover, look for an escape route, try to get away without shooting first. I'd rather not be in a shootout where I'm outnumbered.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I think that depending on the variables involved, number of BG's with guns, etc...

I would pull and fire in both of those situations. More likely to fire if my girls and wife are with me then if I am solo

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It sounds like you would benefit GREATLY from some basic handgun classes as well as (eventually) some force-on-force. Every situation is unique and trying to pigeonhole the huge range of scenarios is a dangerous way to start.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    hard to say if you are looking at it from a "save your ass" standpoint or a legal standpoint.

If you are in your car and you simply cannot drive off because of the way they have you boxed in then I'd say yes my gun is coming out and I'm ready to go. If I can just hammer the car and get away, I'm doing that and calling the cops. Maybe even driving to the police station if I know where it is.

In the 2nd scenario I believe the 'Disparity of Force' in in effect where you are outnumbered and if in fear of your life because you couldn't escape would be justified in pulling your gun and using it to defend yourself.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am not sure what you mean by pen me in. Pull side by side where I can't ope the driver door? I just drive away. Pin me against a building where I can not get out and they then get out with gun or knife. Shoot them

Second one, a guy pulls a gun and is coming toward me, shoot him and if the others don't run away I may shoot them. I assume they are armed as well. Especially since they were not frightened away by me shooting their friend. I am still in fear for my life.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Start with got to the top of the page and push the 8th button over...
    The one marked FAQ, and start reading. There is a LOT of information right there top ingest and absorb...

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I am just trying to be as informed as I can by learning from experienced people so sorry if I am not up on everything currently.

But that said it is alittle overwhelming for new people to hand guns. I mean before you really look into it, it is like a gun is a gun and you pick it up and fire it and its all the same.

It really isnt like that though until you are very experienced I guess.

Anyway, theres more to all of this than model. There is also the VAST possibilities of scenarios you can be in and may have to USE the gun in. and they do relate somewhat to handling and size of gun and such.

So here are 2 scenarios specifically for when I would be carrying my handgun:

scenario 1
    Say even if it was a case of mistaken identity, someone pins you in in your car. they jump out of their vehicle screaming about whatever it is they are crazy about and start for you.... i guess theres 2 cases.... one they have a gun and one they have a knife. in what case would you be in the right to make a decision to even use your gun.

scenario2

Say 3 seedy looking guys are walking down the street they see you then they look around and dont see anyone else around. 1-3 of them pull a gun you see it. You have time to pull yours but... do you pull ? run away assuming they wont shoot you in the back? do you talk first?

just curious

I have a Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course scheduled for this Saturday, July 30 at Eagle Creek Pistol Range. Spend the day with TFT, and you'll be able to answer all of these questions - and many more!

Check out www.tactical-firearms.com for details.

Guy

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    The book, The Law of Self-Defense: A Guide for the Armed Citizen by Andrew F. Branca (Apr 1, 1998) is a must read for anyone who owns a gun.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Have you read all of the gun & self-defense laws?

If not then that's the very first place I'd start. You can find the links to those laws in the FAQ. If you still can't find the links let me know & I'll post them here.

DO NOT take anyone's word at face value. There's so much misinformation out there that you'll either die in a confrontation because you'll be too scared of getting in legal trouble to act or you'll go to jail for acting outside of the law for something your buddy told you was completely legal. You need to look it up yourself.

No offense to any instructor's here but there are even many instructors who will still put their own incorrect spin on the training you get. You still need to verify what they are telling you is correct. Any good one will provide references for the stuff they are teaching & not just tell you "because I say so".

I haven't taken any of TFT's classes but if his posts are any indication of the caliber of his training it seems like his would be very good classes to take.

Actually, those threads are a good introduction to some of the scenario's you might need insight on. Do a search on his username (Tactical Firearms Training) for threads he's started in the "carry issues & self-defense" sub-forum & read those threads. They are very informative.

Having said that, to answer your questions:

Scenario 1 -

If there is a guy who has you "pinned" (assuming that means you are trapped) & is threatening you with a gun, then there is no question I would have not have any hesitation in shooting him.

If the guy has a knife & your vehicle is intact (windows rolled up, doors closed & locked) then I would probably wait until he was at your window & trying to break it before I would shoot. Until that point the threat is not IMMINENT.

Scenario 2 -

If I honestly believe that they will cause me serious bodily injury if i don't act then I am shooting. I will give no warnings (no "talking first"). There are 3 of them & they are armed. Both of those are grounds individually to fear for your safety as long as they have given you some other indication that they are a threat. You don't have to try to run away first before you use deadly force but most people will tell you that it would be better for you if you can avoid the situation entirely by running. I wouldn't put myself in a potentially worse situation by doing it though ("shooting me in the back").

The biggest thing you have to remember is that you HAVE TO be able to explain why you thought it was reasonable that you were in fear of serious bodily injury if you shoot them. You have to be able to articulate why you felt threatened. "They looked scary & I saw a gun" probably isn't going to be enough.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
    The book, The Law of Self-Defense: A Guide for the Armed Citizen by Andrew F. Branca (Apr 1, 1998) is a must read for anyone who owns a gun.

Thanks for the kind words, Jack. Because you explicitly mention the 1998 book, I feel obliged to let folks know that they should NOT buy that one, as there is a fully updated second edition available, published earlier this year. More details in another thread here: [h=2]No “Make-My-Day” Immunity for Colorado Woman Who Killed Estranged Boyfriend[/h] --Andrew, @LawSelfDefense

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Simply put, pulling and using your handgun should be an option of absolute last resort. But, thankfully it is an option for us in this state. As far as the legal ramifications, all of the previous posters touched on that so no need to rehash it.

Top Bottom