• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Whenever the Supreme Court rules on a contentious issue, we have the same basic scenario. Some people find it perfectly satisfactory, some are indignant, and others yet are indifferent. Frequently those responses depend more upon personal gratification than the rule of law.

This reliably leads into an argument on the Supreme Court having the last word without considering the implications of the system itself being broken as demonstrated with far too many bad rulings which clearly oppose the Constitution. When this happens, the standard argument is that those complaining are not constitutional scholars, overlooking the fact that the document was written to be perfectly clear. Instead, we are told that it is archaic, doesn't necessarily apply to the modern world, is a 'living' (changing on whim) document, or requires esoteric knowledge to correctly interpret it, finding that it doesn't mean what it clearly says and conversely means things that are nowhere to be found but in the imagination of the person interpreting things into the spaces between the lines.

The Supreme Court should be the last defense when the Congress and President overstep their bounds. John Roberts and his exquisitely lame opinion on ObamaCare have clearly demonstrated that we cannot rely on the Supremes in even the most egregious of cases. It seems that we are now facing the next level in the game--the states telling the federal government to go pound sand. One wonders how it is going to work out.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is more of a statement than an open discussion methinks.

Just wait until someone who thinks I am paranoid jumps in tomorrow morning. It should turn into quite a discussion starting with having me fitted for a tinfoil hat.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    I'd like it if the States pushed to get the 17th amendment, direct election of senators, repealed. It would shift the balance of power back to where I think the Framers intended--balance in reality. Directly electing senators has caused more problems than just about anything, by taking the States out of the federal equation.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I'd like it if the States pushed to get the 17th amendment, direct election of senators, repealed. It would shift the balance of power back to where I think the Framers intended--balance in reality. Directly electing senators has caused more problems than just about anything, by taking the States out of the federal equation.

^^^^^This^^^^^

I agree wholeheartedly. This needs to happen, badly. :yesway:

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    The States tried it in 1861. It didn't work out too well.

Unless the States have a legal right to secede, they have no real power over the Federal government.

Top Bottom