• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Anybody here use their truck with a topper for camping? Ive been thinkin about picking up a used topper for my 89 dodge to start transforming it into my hunting/ camping rig. My thoughts are clean the bed and add a twinsize mattress, then build a full length roof rack to hold all of my gear.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Sounds like a plan.... Back in the late 70's, we had a little Datsun pick-up with a cap, and used it for several camping trips. Had a rack on top for the canoe, and we used roll-up foam pads. About the same size as a double bed, plus we were newly weds, so the closer the better. Good Luck with the project, and post pics.... Griz

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Used to all the time. The only downside I found was in the late fall, winter, that steel truck bed got incredibly cold. You will want to have at least a 3 to 4 inch insulative foam pad under your body in cold weather or that cold steel will suck the heat right out of your body. Hypothermia can be a killer. Also make sure you have decent ventilation in the late fall and winter, otherwise your breath is going to condense on the inside of the topper and drip water on you all night.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If your truck bed is big enough just toss a matress in the bck and go. When I was a kid dad would thow in a matress and pile us kids in the back. That was before seatbelt laws.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We did this to our Van when we were first married and the kids were young. The couch behind the front seats folded down and the entire rear area was a mattress all the way back to the doors. All 4 of us could sleep in it comfortably and there was a lot of storage under the rear area.
    Yes...the good days.

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Its an 89 dodge w100 with an 8 foot bed so i know a mattress will fit. Another plus is that is got a spray in bedliner. Right now im just having a hard time finding a topper. Found a few but the people wanted way too much for them

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    My wife and I camp in the bed of my '05 Silverado shortbed. I have a Leer bed topped and it beats messing with a tent. It has sliding screened windows on both sides which is nice. I believe it is a full size air mattress that fits in there.

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Like said above. I have a big cabin tent which is nice if 6 or 8 people are going but when its just me my fiance and occasionally my son when its nice enough out there is no need for a 14' tent. Plus if it rains we can be nice and dry

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Im 5'9" so by no means tall. Its just to sleep in so its not like i will be walkin around in it. Although it would be nice if i can find one with the raised top

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I had a Chevy 1/2 ton full size bed PU with a shell in the 80s that I camped in all the time. Built a short platform across the front of the bed and put a twin matress on top of it with plenty of blankets. Made a great alternative to a tent for those rainy weekends when tent camping can get rather miserable.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Back in the Dark Ages my grandparents used boards on top of the rail on the bottom of the shell that in turn was on top of the side of the bed of the truck placed crosswise across the front and then a mattress on top of that--probably home made since it was thin and grandma was in the upholstery business. So far as I am aware it worked well enough and the wood had to be better than trying to sleep on a cold, corrugated steel floor.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Used to all the time. The only downside I found was in the late fall, winter, that steel truck bed got incredibly cold. You will want to have at least a 3 to 4 inch insulative foam pad under your body in cold weather or that cold steel will suck the heat right out of your body. Hypothermia can be a killer. Also make sure you have decent ventilation in the late fall and winter, otherwise your breath is going to condense on the inside of the topper and drip water on you all night.

This^ all of it.

A lot of state parks have shore power at the camp sites and in winter, one of those oil filled radiator heaters is the bomb. But a heater is not necessary with a good mummy bag. The insulating pad is though... beware of memory foam - it gets rock hard when cold.

I had a long bed Jeep Comanche with a 4" foam pad (a hospital bed topper) in the back and it was perfect.

If I didn't have kids, this would still be the way I'd be doing it.

billyramair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Columbus area
    My wife and I used to camp this way all the time when we were in AZ. We just put several sleeping bags down to lay on. The truck kept fire ants, scorpions, and other critters out of our sleeping area. My brother-in-law built a nice carpet kit for his with wood cabinets that could easily be taken out and reinstalled. Redneck budget RV :)

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Anybody here use their truck with a topper for camping? Ive been thinkin about picking up a used topper for my 89 dodge to start transforming it into my hunting/ camping rig. My thoughts are clean the bed and add a twinsize mattress, then build a full length roof rack to hold all of my gear.

I did that several hundred times when I was living out west and climbing every vertical cliff I could find.

A couple things:
    * Go buy a canvas folding Army cot, sleep on that. Use a good sleeping bag.
    * Go to your local carpet store, get some scraps, and glue that scrap carpet to the inside of the camper shell. Amazing heat retention, and helps absorb the condensation of your breath.
    * Organization is KEY. Have a box that you can secure to the bed and have your basic "Wait out the three hours of rain" supplies... a small stove with fuel, a cup for hot drinks, a paperback book, etc.
    * IF you are going to leave the cap on full time, be sure you get one with windows that open. Otherwise, things get pretty rank, pretty fast.
    * Don't forget a tarp that you can rig to sit under when back from the day's activities. I used to run my tarp along the side of the truck, with some cord and prop sticks and such. Made for a nice place to sit in the shade, or covered from light rain, while still being able to stand and stretch and cook a meal.

Or you can do one of these: Build Your Own Camper

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    i rigged mine up so if it got too damn cold i could open up my back glass of the truck and turn on the heater.. waterproof, windproof. love it.

Top Bottom