• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I had the impression mini red dots were attached to ACOGs for close in work?

MVC-351F.jpg

Trijicon TA31DOC ACOG Gunsight with Docter Optic Red Dot Sight

NOPE...not that I've ever seen or heard of....and this pic is NOT a TRUE ACOG....it's one of those cheap chinese knock-offs you can buy on Ebay

InfraRed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Another sight to look at in about the same price range of an ACOG (ish) is the ELCAN Spectre DR. This is the sight that took the place of the ACOG in the mil kits. Instead of being fixed four, it's selectable to 1x for reflex. It's not the best 4x out there and it's not the best 1X out there.... But if you are looking to shoot both close and long and pay one price this may be for you.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I take that back....it's too hard to tell if it is the fake or not by this pic....but as far as the military goes....they don't offer/ purchase these red dot platforms.....and they really unecessary for close range.......if you train properly you should be able to drop your target with center mass shots within 40 yards entirely from muscle memory(not relying on sites)....if not.....then you need more practice

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Another sight to look at in about the same price range of an ACOG (ish) is the ELCAN Spectre DR. This is the sight that took the place of the ACOG in the mil kits. Instead of being fixed four, it's selectable to 1x for reflex. It's not the best 4x out there and it's not the best 1X out there.... But if you are looking to shoot both close and long and pay one price this may be for you.

IDK....from what I seen in just a quick Google search....these are over twice the price of an ACOG......IMO not having the proven reputation of the Trijicon....I would not touch this thing for anywhere near the price of what I can get an ACOG for

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    There are some ACOGs that have a RDS on them.

And the Elcan Spectre is what, $1800? That's a lot more than most ACOG models. Of course, I bought mine NIB for less than $600. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    NOPE...not that I've ever seen or heard of....and this pic is NOT a TRUE ACOG....it's one of those cheap chinese knock-offs you can buy on Ebay

I take that back....it's too hard to tell if it is the fake or not by this pic...

No reason to get all worked up. I'm just reading Jeff Quinn's word for it (Gunblast.com). He's not known as a liar or fabricator that I have heard. You might want to follow the link to his article. Just sayin'.:rolleyes:

InfraRed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    My bad on the Price.... The last time I did a compare on them was back in Late 2008... Back then they were both in the SOPMOD kits and they were selling online in the 14-1500 range (retail MSRP from OEM). ACOGs have really dropped and the ELCAN has gone out of control. Sorry Folks.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    My :twocents:...

It's a matter of preference and experience, whether it's Aimpoint vs Trijicon, Ford vs Chevy, Blonde vs Brunette, Boxers vs Briefs, AR15s vs AK47s, Glocks vs 1911s, everyone has their preference. It should be based on experience, good or bad for one party or the other. Me, I'm an Aimpoint (Co Witnessed with Irons), GMC, Blondes, Boxer-Briefs, AR15, 1911 kind of guy. My Aimpoint aids me in accurate engagement at anything from 25ft IPSC targets, 100yd 8" steel plates, all the way to 300yd Echo-Types; my Aimpoint hasn't failed me.

DSC00192.jpg

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    My bad on the Price.... The last time I did a compare on them was back in Late 2008... Back then they were both in the SOPMOD kits and they were selling online in the 14-1500 range (retail MSRP from OEM). ACOGs have really dropped and the ELCAN has gone out of control. Sorry Folks.

no worries. if one has the coin, there is no doubt the ELCANs are awesome.

And there are so many ACOGs out there now that the prices for used ones have come down as well.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not worked up.....I've just never seen that being issued gear to any unit or heard of it being so.......IMO...I've never seen a need to have any sort of red dot sight if you have an ACOG....which work at almost any practical range...and you shouldn't even need a site for kill shots at close range.....the idea behind training is "you train HARD so that combat feels relatively easy"...meaning you put a LOT of rounds out of your weapon in a LOT of different scenarios...so that the majority of your actions are second nature and don't require any thought....or in this case a time consuming site picture on a target within running distance to you/your men

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ah...he states that most of those who use this site are Spec-ops.....they usually have "open bank accounts" for gear they feel they need.....so this wouldn't be a widely disbursed tool.......and operators can do as they wish to their gear....I just do not see a need for such a site....but it's personal preference

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My Aimpoint aids me in accurate engagement at anything from 25ft IPSC targets, 100yd 8" steel plates, all the way to 300yd Echo-Types; my Aimpoint hasn't failed me.

OK, this has my attention. You are saying that you have accuracy from 8-300 yards without magnification?

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Yes. I can see an E-Type at 300 and hit it reliably with just iron sights. This is the accuracy, enough for centermass hits at 300 yards, that I am speaking of.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    iron sights are easy to hit human size targets at 500 yards.....but I wouldn't put much faith in that range with red dot type of sights personally

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the way that reads doesn't seem to make sense...I meant to say that the round will hit at the same elevation on a target that is 36 meters away as it will on one that is 300 meters away...and so you should BZO it at 36 meters at the top point of the vertical line.........there, that sounds like it makes more sense...

Still not quite right. The ta31f is what i have experience with and i believe the reticles to be mostly similar. on this reticle the tip of the chevron is 100 meters. the bottom of the chevron is 200, and the tip of the verticle line is 300.

if you are doing a BZO at 36 meters you will want to use the tip of the verticle line NOT the tip of the chevron. this will make the further range BDC lines correctly match the round.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes. I can see an E-Type at 300 and hit it reliably with just iron sights. This is the accuracy, enough for centermass hits at 300 yards, that I am speaking of.

So, are you using the irons along with the dot all the time or at certain distances?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Still not quite right. The ta31f is what i have experience with and i believe the reticles to be mostly similar. on this reticle the tip of the chevron is 100 meters. the bottom of the chevron is 200, and the tip of the verticle line is 300.

if you are doing a BZO at 36 meters you will want to use the tip of the verticle line NOT the tip of the chevron. this will make the further range BDC lines correctly match the round.

yeah...there ya go....more detail....what he said

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    If I had the money, I'd get one of each for my AR15 or my AR458. But I would have to win a lottery before I could do that.:patriot:

Top Bottom