• ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    If it's for carry use best to leave it stock. If you had to use it lawyers will have a field day with a lighter than stock trigger.:twocents:

Is that actually true? Are you aware of any documented cases where personalizations to a weapon used in a justified shooting had any impact on the case? I'd love to see the case law on that.

Unrelated, I'd be curious to know what a going rate is for this service as well. Been kicking the idea around of having someone tune up my 23.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    "Courtroom minefield" by Massad Ayoob. In the 2012 edition of The Complete Book of Handguns by Massad Ayoob.

IMO there is too much controversy in this case for it to be a good example. The policeman who was convicted because of poor legal defense and not because of a lighter trigger.

Instead of using self defense as a legal defense, his lawyers used accidental discharge of his gun as a defense. I can see where a modified trigger would not help an accidental discharge case, but IMO wouldn't mean squat in a self defense case.

In a SD scenario IMO a trigger job isn't going to be a problem. Show us one that is? In a ND scenario it could be.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Is that actually true? Are you aware of any documented cases where personalizations to a weapon used in a justified shooting had any impact on the case? I'd love to see the case law on that.

Unrelated, I'd be curious to know what a going rate is for this service as well. Been kicking the idea around of having someone tune up my 23.

If the circumstances are in your favor I would hope that the trigger would never be an issue. OR does that mean we should all put NY 2 triggers in our Glocks so you could say that I did everything possible not to hit was I was aiming at.. Too much PC and not enough common sense in this world IMHO.:D
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] 1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    If the circumstances are in your favor I would hope that the trigger would never be an issue. OR does that mean we should all put NY 2 triggers in our Glocks so you could say that I did everything possible not to hit was I was aiming at.. Too much PC and not enough common sense in this world IMHO.:D
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] 1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

That's exactly my thinking. That's a very slippery slope if people start judging if a gun is too easy or too difficult to shoot. Should we be handicapping ourselves to make it more difficult to shoot just in case we get sued?

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    In a SD shooting the deck is already stacked against you. Glock says in their manual NOT to lighten the trigger. That and Mr. Ayoob,s expert advice just equals common sense to me. For me I don't want to make it more complicated than it has to be, but to each his own.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Saw this and I believe it applies:

Here is an opinion of some lawyer, you decide.

Legally defensible modifications. These would include any internal action work, including smoothing the trigger pull, modifications to hammers so they don’t “bite” you. The trigger could even be lightened from factory configuration, though I would not recommend less than 4.5 – 5 lbs. In this case, you will likely need expert testimony to establish that the mods did either did not detract from the safety of the gun, or materially improved it. A case can me made for the controllability of a gun with a trigger that has been lightened to 5 lbs. Likewise, if you render a carry revolver double action only (so it can’t be cocked and fired), you will take away an attorney’s suggestion that you had previously cocked the gun and had a “hair trigger.”
    Legally liable modifications. These would include triggers under 4.5 lbs. The prosecutor/litigator will be able to produce reams of documentation from nationally known gunsmiths (e.g. Bill Laughridge, Wayne Novak) and nationally known firearms trainers (e.g. Ayoob) that triggers that are lighter than this are unsuitable for a carry, duty, or self-defense gun.

Other than that, you google "court case modified gun trigger pull" or "hair trigger cases" and wade through the crap, your the one who wants to MODIFY.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    That's how i bought it, so am i supposed to make my trigger worse? With having a permanent injury to my hand, a stiff trigger can be more dangerous for some of us. Also, justified, is justified, i think you would have to be borderline justified before anything else comes into play.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I did a 25 cent trigger job on my edc Glock last night. You can do it yourself and it works wonders on the grittyness of the stock trigger. You will need a small punch or Phillips head screwdriver to break the gun down. I used my drill, a small drill bit, 1000 grit steel wool, and mothers car wax. Go to YouTube type in "25 cent trigger job" and follow along!

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    The only reason you would need that defense is if you had an unsafe discharge. Not if you were protecting yourself. If i said "I felt threatened for my life and had no other choice than deadly force at my disposal, and fired in a safe manner, hit what i was aiming at and did as was necessary." Do you think they are going to say your trigger was too light????? HELL NO!! It will be for the ****tard that utilized no safe firearm practice, and has a accidental discharge that kills or harms someone or something unintentionally that is going to get hung. Make sure your weapon is safe, and that you practice safe handling and proper presentation. Follow the law when concerning handguns. You'll have no issue.

SnowWalker, Please do not think I am in any way attacking your thoughts. I'm not. I just believe that any reason that I could possibly be in court for firing my weapon, the trigger pull would not be a factor. I understand not wanting to have to worry about any other peoples thoughts, and alleviating the need for that concern, by leaving it stock.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom