• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I was wondering if anyone hads any advice how to cook a tri-tip? I have heard good things about them but have never cooked one. I picked up one from archers meats yesterday to give it a try. Any recepies or advice would be appreciated.

(I'm considering putting it in the charcoal grill over indirect heat)

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I was wondering if anyone hads any advice how to cook a tri-tip? I have heard good things about them but have never cooked one. I picked up one from archers meats yesterday to give it a try. Any recepies or advice would be appreciated.

(I'm considering putting it in the charcoal grill over indirect heat)
    Low and slow!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Actually, out west they are barbequed a lot. Pull out the grill.

The real secret to a tri-tip is the way you slice it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Tri tip is awesome stuff, it is the bottom of the sirloin so I think it's best prepared over coals similar to a steak. I sear it at 600* for four minutes on each side then knock the temp down to 400* and cook it over indirect heat until it reaches 130* internal. Let it rest for five minutes under a foil tent before slicing. Just cooked a couple yesterday actually.

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I read about tri tip for a couple of years before I ever saw one for sale here in Indy. They're hugely popular in southern California cooked the way I prepare them. Some cook over indirect heat first then finish with a sear, some sear first then finish with indirect heat. I think searing it probably helps hold in some moisture which is why I sear first.

If you Google "how to cook tri tip" you'll find a lot of info out there. It is a really great cut of beef.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I read about tri tip for a couple of years before I ever saw one for sale here in Indy. They're hugely popular in southern California cooked the way I prepare them. Some cook over indirect heat first then finish with a sear, some sear first then finish with indirect heat. I think searing it probably helps hold in some moisture which is why I sear first.

If you Google "how to cook tri tip" you'll find a lot of info out there. It is a really great cut of beef.

Thought of you last night watching Triple D. A chef tool a pork butt and sliced it so it was a long continuous flat piece, then season it and rolled it back up and tied it with string and roasted it. Wondered if you had ever done one like that?

I'm thinking that would be some smoked awesomeness, right there. :D

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Indirect heat, keep the grill about 225 degrees, 45 minutes per pound. I use a dry rub with chilli powder.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Thought of you last night watching Triple D. A chef tool a pork butt and sliced it so it was a long continuous flat piece, then season it and rolled it back up and tied it with string and roasted it. Wondered if you had ever done one like that?

Did he stuff it with anything or just tie it up and smoke it?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Yes he spiced it up real good rolled it up , tied it, then roasted it in a conventional oven.:(

I know Poly likes smoking and was wondering if he ever did a butt like that.

I think it might turn out dry if he slow-smoked a piece of meat that was cut up like that.

Those things are meant to be smoked as one solid piece, IMO.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I ended up searing it about 5 mins each side at about 450 degrees, then cooked it over indirect heat (about 225 degrees) until I got an internal of 160. I like it a little more rare but the rest of the family wouldn't eat it. I used a mix of apple and mesquite smoking chips. When I took it off I let it rest covered for about 15 mins. It had an excellent flavor and was probably the most tender brisket type meat I have ever had.
    I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    FWIW, I sear mine at 700ish for about 3 minutes a side and then bring the grill down to 450-500 and cook another 3-4 minutes per side. Depends how thick really. I am frequently out in Cali for work and have tri-tip all over. That is about the best way I can do it to get the way I like it prepared out there. I also like to use Dizzy Pig Cowlick seasoning, gives it a nice spice but not overly done to where my kids won't eat it. Slice against the grain.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Costco sells a whole pork tenderloin which is not quite cut through the center then folded over on itself and tied up. I cook those pretty regularly and they're awesome. I smoke them but at 350* rather than my usual 225* so they don't dry out.

P1040271.jpg

P1040273.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom