• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok since not all of us have the big bucks to spend on front sight training or similar course. What can you do to train at home that might add value in the real world Recently I have been practicing drawing and firing versus just taking the weaver stance and firing. Also I have done dry fire paying close attention to trigger pull.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No reason to travel long distances for training. There are good, affordable opportunities right here in Indiana. A little money invested in a couple traing classes will save you in the long run. If nothing else the trainer might steer you away from the garbage accesories that don't work and show you some drills that will allow you to practice without expending as much ammo.

Proper dry practice is good and does not take ammo.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    For the very budget-minded, I can recommend Thunder Ranch videos.

Thunder Ranch Videos | American Handgunner

But there is no substitute for real, personal training. I recently took Handgun 1 and 2 from MDFI. These two classes covered malfunction drills, fighting from cover, fighting from the ground, multiple target threats, advancing fire, retreating fire, running drills, single hand operation (strong hand and weak hand, including reloads and clearing malfunctions with one hand), step-back drills, and more.

There are several good firearms schools in MI, there probably are in IN, too. And travel is not out of the question for many. At $150 each I think the cost is very reasonable. You'll spend more on ammo. I shot about 1,000 rounds over two days.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    Cory and Erika have a training company called Rangetime Tactical shooting LLC right here in Midwestern Indiana... I have taken their Defensive Handgun one course (see my AAR in the training and tactics forum). I would highly recommend them.

Videos are meant to supplement real life training, you do gain a lot of good knowledge on what drills to run when you go to the range on your own, you learn what it feels like to do something the right when instead of just assuming its right.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    Also, I know for a fact that they offer a 50% discount for all LEOs, Firefighter, Military (Active, reserve, guard, veteran), EMT, First responders... Thats freakin half off their classes!

Top Bottom