• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Today, Indy Gun Safety began training the first group of school administrators who will be armed in their school system. I may be wrong, but I believe this is the first school system to approve AND IMPLEMENT school carry in the state of Indiana. Everyone will start with NRA Basic Pistol regardless of their experience. The group will then move on to our Intro to Defensive Pistol course and beyond. With any luck, other schools who have identified similar needs will have the courage to stand up and really attempt to protect our children. This school board voted 7-0 to implement carry. While things could always be better, we are fortunate to live in a state where this is even possible.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Whoa! Very cool!!!

I hope you're driving home the point / philosophy that they are going to be protectors of many - not just themselves. That's a HUGE difference in mindset.

-J-

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    The program participants start with basic pistol (regardless of their experience level) to ensure no gaps exist in their basic safety and marksmanship skills. This also allows us to ensure a proper attitude. Participants will then move on to a combination Intro to Defensive Pistol and Advanced Defensive Pistol course. The first group stated yesterday and half of them will be through basic by the end of the week.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The program participants start with basic pistol (regardless of their experience level) to ensure no gaps exist in their basic safety and marksmanship skills. This also allows us to ensure a proper attitude. Participants will then move on to a combination Intro to Defensive Pistol and Advanced Defensive Pistol course. The first group stated yesterday and half of them will be through basic by the end of the week.

At least it is a start in the right direction. Maybe more school systems will follow.

Starting everyone in a basic course and moving forward will fill in the areas of safety and marksmanship for a very good base.

After moving through Intro to Defensive Pistol and Advanced Defensive Pistol courses, will there be any force on force type training to see how they will function under stress?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    This is great too hear. Can you disclose what schoool system?

If you are interested in a seeing another perspective on Active Shooter respoonse, or having a place to send students looking for additional training, check out TDIs Active Shooter course. They do a fair bit of training with the National Association of School Resource Officers. The course is pretty well-put-together.

My AAR here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se-training.html?highlight=TDI+Active+Shooter

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    So glad to hear this!! I have been a long time proponent of arming properly trained school staff. I have been working with a school district in KY for about a year now in an attempt to implement a similar program. Keep up the good work. Our children are our greatest asset and must be protected.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Let's hope it catches on in other districts. There's a lot of talk thus far, which is good. Hopefully we will see a little more action as the discussion continues.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    When you say "school administrator" are we talking about principals or the super intendent or teachers? Are most of the students already experienced shooters, or new?
    More men or women?
    I'm curious who you're seeing in class. I assume all are there by choice and not at the request of the employer?

Last edited:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Jackson, I can only reveal so much, lol. They are all there by choice. They range from little experience to moderate experience, but that's pretty subjective.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Great news! :thumbsup:

Gotta be tough training, because the mindset and concept are well beyond the typical 'defend yourself'.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Great news! :thumbsup:

Gotta be tough training, because the mindset and concept are well beyond the typical 'defend yourself'.

I don't think it will be that tough. Most teachers are parents and their students many times and thought of as their kids.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Today, Indy Gun Safety began training the first group of school administrators who will be armed in their school system. I may be wrong, but I believe this is the first school system to approve AND IMPLEMENT school carry in the state of Indiana. Everyone will start with NRA Basic Pistol regardless of their experience. The group will then move on to our Intro to Defensive Pistol course and beyond. With any luck, other schools who have identified similar needs will have the courage to stand up and really attempt to protect our children. This school board voted 7-0 to implement carry. While things could always be better, we are fortunate to live in a state where this is even possible.
    Congrat's on the opportunity Randy and hopefully that sort of pro-active thinking spreads across the State to other school systems as well. I'd feel better in knowing that my children's school wasn't a "gun free zone" with properly trained individuals within it. --Phil

Top Bottom