• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    My brother's dog is pregnant, and I'm on the list for a puppy. I'm really excited for this because the dogs that these puppies are coming from are awesome. The mother is an Azorean Cattle Dog, and these are just awesome dogs. Where my concern lies, is that we have had two dogs, and both we've gotten rid of to better homes. One was a Shiba Inu, who could best be described as pure energy in a dog form, and a Basset Hound that was the dumbest, most obstinate thing I've ever seen. Neither we had from a puppy.

My concern lies in being able to train up a good dog that I can depend upon. We are in a good position, I think for this now because someone is home 98% of the time, and in the spring and summers we'd like to be able to take the dog with us for hikes and such. I know the responsibilities involved in this, but I'm looking for good ideas to train up a good dog that I can depend upon to be protective of the homestead, controllable, but also good inside. Surely the folks here will have some experience on this to offer.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    Most dogs will respond the best to positive training, give lots of small treats to reward correct behaviors. You should let a new puppy meet lots of people and other dogs, start socializing early. Google is your friend...read some articles from knowledgeable trainers.

Atac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Not sure where you live, but First Friends in Fishers is a great place to go. Bruce (the owner) is a perfect balance of discipline and understanding. Start with the puppy class (6-18 weeks) and then move on to basic training. Between the two classes Bruce does a good job of training people (and the dogs too)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you don't think you are prepared to do the training, then seek professional help. I am convinced that trainers train owners. If you want more than basic obedience, seek professional help. A lot will depend on the breed's natural tendencies. Positive reinforcement is probably the most important. Crate training is hugely helpful. I used the crate training to speed up house training for my male GSD. I'm also using it for the female, but she's much older and the system I used with the male works better for young puppies that can't hold their business for hours at a time. But I digress.

There are some good books on dog psychology that will help too.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    My brother's dog is pregnant, and I'm on the list for a puppy. I'm really excited for this because the dogs that these puppies are coming from are awesome. The mother is an Azorean Cattle Dog, and these are just awesome dogs. Where my concern lies, is that we have had two dogs, and both we've gotten rid of to better homes. One was a Shiba Inu, who could best be described as pure energy in a dog form, and a Basset Hound that was the dumbest, most obstinate thing I've ever seen. Neither we had from a puppy.

My concern lies in being able to train up a good dog that I can depend upon. We are in a good position, I think for this now because someone is home 98% of the time, and in the spring and summers we'd like to be able to take the dog with us for hikes and such. I know the responsibilities involved in this, but I'm looking for good ideas to train up a good dog that I can depend upon to be protective of the homestead, controllable, but also good inside. Surely the folks here will have some experience on this to offer.

Treat'em like 1 you kids......communication with'em , an' LOT'a patience......never beat 1 fer 'mistakes(mess on floor.....it GONNA happen....) 'cause the reason ya did.....at'll fly over they head after 20 min......but they'll r'member ya DID, from now on.....I got 8 here,an' they da*n near human....6 Yorky's, a Beaglehound(rescue), an'a Retriever (also rescued) simple NO!......is all it takes fer these.....:yesway:

Oh.....I don't buy the commercial 'treats'.......use cut-up hotdogs, an' they git'em everday.......an' ya better have'em,LOL!.....:):......'cause they'll all be in the kitchen look'n at'cha like......."OK.....where is it ? "........:):

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Trillian (black (meth) lab with some GSD) is dumber than a sack of hammers. We've had her since she was a puppy and the best we've been able to do with her is she doesn't pee on the floor and she's cut back to about $50/month of stuff she chews up. I was kind of hoping she'd be a good duck retriever, but she'd probably wander off and wind up in Detroit.

Top Bottom