• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    What's with a lot of people stating that "If I'm going to trade this or since I'm trading this, it has to be in my favor big time."?

I can tell you this, if that's stated in the thread, then I don't even give it the time of day.

Why would someone lose their butts on a trade? In the threads I've seen this in, the gun is pretty run of the mill, not a collectors item. Even if it was a rare gun, then the value would be higher anyway, so why place this statement in your thread. It will just run people off from attempting to make you an offer.:twocents:

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on this logic :dunno:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    What's with a lot of people stating that "If I'm going to trade this or since I'm trading this, it has to be in my favor big time."?

I can tell you this, if that's stated in the thread, then I don't even give it the time of day.

Why would someone lose their butts on a trade? In the threads I've seen this in, the gun is pretty run of the mill, not a collectors item. Even if it was a rare gun, then the value would be higher anyway, so why place this statement in your thread. It will just run people off from attempting to make you an offer.:twocents:

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on this logic :dunno:

and on an overpriced used pistol at that :ugh:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Eh, that's the beauty of a free market.

One is free to seek the best deal they can...

And others are free to not deal as they see fit.

-J-

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I don't put that in threads but if somebody wants to trade guns, they need to definately even up the value. If I'm trading guns and I get offered something I don't really want I'll ask for cash as well.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Well most of the time you see that in a WTS add. So I imagine it is to discourage people from making trade offers. People at times tend to overlook the OP's add and just offer whatever they happen to have, be it cash, guns, or other items. But for me I accept and review all offers and respond with my decision or follow up questions.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I like trading guns. I figure if we both get something we want, we both got a good deal. If the other party doesn't think it's a good deal, it would be kind of silly of them to agree to it.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    I know it's a free market, but it is going to limit your options. I figure even if someone offers you something you're not necessarily looking for, you still no it's an option once it's been offered. Heck, some of the best trades I've encountered are ones that I had never even considered before it was presented.

I'm not complaining (nor do I care) that people do this, just inquiring to those who see the logic in it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What I don't get is why some folks simply list WTT and aren't interested in selling. I mean, we invented money to overcome some of the limitations of barter; one of which is having to find two people who both have something the other wants. Seems like it would be faster to sell outright and then take the cash to go buy what you want. What am I missing?

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Got me cosermann I have wondered the same thing. The only reason I wouldn't post a cash price for an item is if I am unsure of its value, I do all I can to figure out a value and if I can't come up with something I will put make and offer (I very rarely do this). On the flip side of this though if it is yours you should set the price as it is yours, most people that put make offer get offended by offers they don't like the best way to avoid this problem is to set your own price.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    What I don't get is why some folks simply list WTT and aren't interested in selling. I mean, we invented money to overcome some of the limitations of barter; one of which is having to find two people who both have something the other wants. Seems like it would be faster to sell outright and then take the cash to go buy what you want. What am I missing?
    An old lady that gets mad when she sees you spending money.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    I will (and am currently) posting items for trade only. I do think that a lot of times, it's smarter to try and trade for what you're looking for, if you're not in a hurry. If you can't find it sooner or later, then selling is the route to take ;)

Just my two cents

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    It is funny, I was looking at a trade for a $1,200 rifle here in town. The guy came in with a colt 6940 and the seller of the $1,200 rifle wouldn't give it a value above $800. He wanted the AR and a 1911... I don't understand it.

And then, there are those that will try to just trade a kel-tec P3at for an SA 1911...

I always leave the trade option open unless I really need the money.

Oldcoyotedream

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    West Side Indy
    I have grown up around Gun Dealers (Father included) and yes everyone is different. However; Trading for profit (FFL Dealer) is different then personal trades. On a personal trade I look to recoup my investment if possible. If my weapon has declined in value than I only expect to recoup current market value either in cash or trade. There has been times when I have less invested in a weapon then current market value so I trade and the exchanging party may feel they got one up on me. I guess the question is “how badly do I want it”. This isn’t my job or profession, it’s my hobby and passion

Lets face it we all have resources to purchase guns, some are less expensive then others. (EXAMPLE) My best price on a new Glock 36 may be $459.00 where “Mr. Smith may have to pay $619.00 for the same gun and lets not forget the TAX. There becomes a wide spread of “My gun is worth”!
    One way I have found around this quandary is to look current market value and then go and compare by :
    (1st) MSRP to MSRP value [which of course MSRP is a quite greater in price then Book value but establishes a cash difference ]
    (2nd) condition of each parties gun in %
    (3rd) any accessories that are of value to me!
    And as long as these issues are acceptable to me and the exchanging party – Good to go!!!

No body is twisting my arm because I have the power and ability to politely say No!

For those folks that always feel their guns are made of gold, I guess they will have to trade amongst themselves!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom