• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickXD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    SE Indy
    Just wanted to know what the general concensus was on trading in a gun at a local gun shop? If I was buying something else what kind of price should I expect to get for a gently used newer handgun? Also, does it matter if I go back to where I bought it? Let me know your experiences on Indianapolis area shops.

Thanks,
    -Nick

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Just wanted to know what the general concensus was on trading in a gun at a local gun shop? If I was buying something else what kind of price should I expect to get for a gently used newer handgun? Also, does it matter if I go back to where I bought it? Let me know your experiences on Indianapolis area shops.

Thanks,
    -Nick

Your going to get hosed at any gun shop. They will pay you 40%-50% retail value.

Your better off getting your 50 posts or becoming a site supporter and selling it here.

NickXD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    SE Indy
    It is a Ruger SR40c two-tone. Has less than 100 rounds through it. I figured if it was close it would just be easier to trade-in, if not will definately sell on here.

Thanks,
    -Nick

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    In my experience, Plainfield Shooting Supplies gives the most on trade-ins, so much do that I stopped shopping around because they were best 100% of the times I did.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    As everyone will say, "your gonna get screwed at a gun shop so why not sell it on here" I would say to put it on armslist, no 50 post rule and people are buying like fools on there.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Would work the same as a vehicle wouldn't it? The gun shop isn't going to come close to what you can get in a private sale. They are looking to sell that gun again. They have to leave a nice room for markup, while you can sell it for what it is worth. But if you just want the purchase to be easier, and the money doesn't bother you that much, then it would for sure be a lot quicker and easier to do the trade-in.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I believe most people will back me up on this. You will get the most from Plainfield Shooting Supplies, more than any other gun shop will give you. Now Bob the owner will even tell you that you will get more by selling outright yourself. I have done several trade in's with Bob and he gets pretty dang close to what you would get from the classifieds here when you are trading in to buy something else from him.

That is the experience I have had and many of the people I know that buy from Plainfield.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I can tell you that Brian at Indy Trading Post is very fair at trade in values, especially if you're buying another gun!
    Still, you can most likely do better selling on here or to a friend!
    I may be interested after you get your 50 posts or become a site supporter.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    As everyone will say, "your gonna get screwed at a gun shop so why not sell it on here" I would say to put it on armslist, no 50 post rule and people are buying like fools on there.

Not because (all) gun dealers are bad, but because they're a business, not a charity.

They obviously cannot give you full price or they end up losing money when overhead expenses are accounted for.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    look-i-gotta-make-a-profit-here-so-ill-give-you-1-thumb.jpg

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    With patience you are better off selling on your own. You just need a feel for the market value. Do a little research and give it a try. It is like going to a car dealer. Theirs is worth top dollar yours they are doing you a favor taking it in trade. LOL

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I took a Brand NIB Ruger Blackhawk w/extra cylinder and custom Redwood grips to Midwest and was offered 30% of what I paid for it there less than a year ago. The salesman said that was a very fair offer since I have bought so much from them and that no one else would offer that much. A day later I got 75% somewhere else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my experience, Plainfield Shooting Supplies gives the most on trade-ins, so much do that I stopped shopping around because they were best 100% of the times I did.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PSS will give you a fair trade value on any gun.
    I get good trade value at west side loan as well.

Top Bottom