• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not sure those are such great deals. $459.95 for a CZ P01, add $18 shipping, add local FFL transfer fee and the price can easily top $500.

I bought mine by going to a local dealer, asking him to order it for me, he did, sold it to me for well under $500 and the local dealer made more money, helped him stay open and I got a good deal.

I STRONGLY URGE people to go to your local shops and develop a relationship with the owner, many are just small businesses who are struggling to stay in business. If you 'cherry pick' them they will close shop and you'll be out of another local business, and lose their services at the same time. On the other hand, if you work with them they will typically work with you.

For any current production gun available I've found that I could usually get a better deal from one of my local dealers than I can do buying on-line and paying shipping and transfer fees. Obviously for collector guns, out of production guns, limited run pieces, surplus or police trade-ins there are all sorts of deals that a local shop can't get. But for any modern/current production gun they can typically beat on-line prices after the fees are calculated.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Not sure those are such great deals. $459.95 for a CZ P01, add $18 shipping, add local FFL transfer fee and the price can easily top $500.

I bought mine by going to a local dealer, asking him to order it for me, he did, sold it to me for well under $500 and the local dealer made more money, helped him stay open and I got a good deal.

I STRONGLY URGE people to go to your local shops and develop a relationship with the owner, many are just small businesses who are struggling to stay in business. If you 'cherry pick' them they will close shop and you'll be out of another local business, and lose their services at the same time. On the other hand, if you work with them they will typically work with you.

For any current production gun available I've found that I could usually get a better deal from one of my local dealers than I can do buying on-line and paying shipping and transfer fees. Obviously for collector guns, out of production guns, limited run pieces, surplus or police trade-ins there are all sorts of deals that a local shop can't get. But for any modern/current production gun they can typically beat on-line prices after the fees are calculated.

:+1:Good way of thinking.

dhdoug

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    hancock county
    like that.

gotta say ...i agree with that. dont wanna fly their flag too high too soon cause money or products havent changed hands yet BUT..down round indy way (s.e.) beech grove guns/firearms is a local shop that has been friendly, informative etc.. and like i said, thats before transactions. i'm not finding that online so far.:twocents:

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009

+1 and repped. We who have local firearms businesses appreciate when people buy from us. Helps keep us in business. Once you make a purchase online, if you have any issues you may have some problems. Buying locally you have a point of contact if you were to have problems or questions. The online stuff is becoming so prevelant that you almost have to join it or potentially be out of business someday. I have seen many people that would rather save 5 dollars than to support their local businesses. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

bman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    I buy local, because If I ever have problems with one of my purchases its a face to face meeting to resolve the problem. It has happened once and the gun was replaced no questions asked.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    +1 and repped. We who have local firearms businesses appreciate when people buy from us. Helps keep us in business. Once you make a purchase online, if you have any issues you may have some problems. Buying locally you have a point of contact if you were to have problems or questions. The online stuff is becoming so prevelant that you almost have to join it or potentially be out of business someday. I have seen many people that would rather save 5 dollars than to support their local businesses. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Some of it is a combination of shops charging outrageous prices and needing to also pay sales tax. ;) i like supporting my local shops if the prices are good and the people friendly. I still do it quite a bit. I'd rather buy and be able to take it home right away.

If you don't get online, you will not last. This coming from an information systems graduate of 2009. I'm building a website for a shop in Portland, IN just b/c I like the guy and he works with me.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Some of it is a combination of shops charging outrageous prices and needing to also pay sales tax. ;) i like supporting my local shops if the prices are good and the people friendly. I still do it quite a bit. I'd rather buy and be able to take it home right away.

If you don't get online, you will not last. This coming from an information systems graduate of 2009. I'm building a website for a shop in Portland, IN just b/c I like the guy and he works with me.

I agree with some of that. The sales tax is what usually ends up killing a deal and causing people to go online. I am slowly getting online. It is tough it has turned into another full time job. But you are right, it seems to be the wave of the future and you have to conform and sell online to stay alive. I really wish they would do something about the sales tax. A sales tax holiday on guns would be nice, but more than likely not going to happen.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I agree with some of that. The sales tax is what usually ends up killing a deal and causing people to go online. I am slowly getting online. It is tough it has turned into another full time job. But you are right, it seems to be the wave of the future and you have to conform and sell online to stay alive. I really wish they would do something about the sales tax. A sales tax holiday on guns would be nice, but more than likely not going to happen.

Heck, even just a website that says "I'm here" would suffice. People expect good businesses to have a website. And it helps folks find you. Make sure you at least show up in a google business search on the map. :). I'm here to help if shops need it.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Hey guys, I'm not knocking brick and mortar stores, we need 'em, for reasons already assigned. Just saying Tom and TGS have been around awhile, and are 100% dependable. He's a fixture over on Sigforum.

glockman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indy
    Great group of guys and very friendlyY:rockwoot:
    gotta say ...i agree with that. dont wanna fly their flag too high too soon cause money or products havent changed hands yet BUT..down round indy way (s.e.) beech grove guns/firearms is a local shop that has been friendly, informative etc.. and like i said, thats before transactions. i'm not finding that online so far.:twocents:

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    Hey guys, I'm not knocking brick and mortar stores, we need 'em, for reasons already assigned. Just saying Tom and TGS have been around awhile, and are 100% dependable. He's a fixture over on Sigforum.

+1 Tom has helped me with a couple purchases and never had any problems. I agree with what you guys are saying about our local shops, but I like shopping around and checking different prices.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I most usually buy local, but I did get my turn in police H&K P7 from Top Gun, along with a new Blackwater Sig 226. They are good people for 'net purchases.

More common guns like GLOCKs are cheaper locally............. I especially like perusing the used items at nearby shops.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    The gimik at WHITTAKERS, on used guns the price listed is the total price i.e. the tax is included. This TECHNIQUE has played havoc on my limited mental calculator, as defined by the gun safe inventory.
    Call me challenged, but I always feel like I stole it. So to speak.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    +1 Tom has helped me with a couple purchases and never had any problems. I agree with what you guys are saying about our local shops, but I like shopping around and checking different prices.

I also like shopping around and checking prices. The facts remain the same, however, and that is that it is often cheaper to buy a current production gun locally via special order at a gunshop than it is to order on line and pay shipping and transfer fees. Further, the dealer making the sale will get slightly more money in his pocket to help keep his store open but he pretty much gets screwed if he is just doing a low margin transfer.

So I still strongly advocate building a relationship with a local gun shop owner and you'll find that there can be a mutually beneficial relationship that gets you good prices and keeps your local guy in business. This is especially true for current production guns that the dealers can simply order from a wholesaler.

Top Bottom