took the plunge. ordered some glocks today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waldron1305

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Shelbyville
    Some difficult times have come, in the middle of buying a house, cut back hours at work, second baby on the way come end of September. so i had to sell my pof p308. however i refused to go without. my old handgun that i kept in the house for hd, a model 1934 brevet 9mm short that my grandfathers brother carried in the italian navy for his service pistol, has become virtually unfunctional. it is stricly a range gun now. so, i took the plunge and ordered a 4th gen Glock 23, and 27. im looking for suggestions on acessories, holsters, odds and ends that you all feel to be necessities. thanks.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Crossbreed supertuck for a holster, maybe add some night sights. Other than that, glocks are good to go out of the box. The 23 is a great pistol, Im sure the 27 is too.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Great move on the .40s. I second Indygunner on the g23x9mm conversion barrel but don't stop there. Get the 27x9 also. You'l have 4 guns in 2 for an extra $225 or so total (with shipping.)

I couldn't function without the Tru-Glo sights on all my pistols. They are fiber optic and have tritium for night glow. During the day the brighter it is the more they stand out. They go for about $100 and you might pay another 5-10 bucks to have them installed.

Get the 15 round mags that go into the g22 for back ups. If I carry my 27 I usually carry a 23 mag (13 rounds in my pocket or on the belt.) If the 23 I carry the 22 mag for a spare. That's one of the beauties of the Glock caliber families.

Lastly, get a case of Puffs or some other type of tissue to pass out to all the people who will make fun of your Glocks but who secretly cry at night because they made the wrong choice. Psychologists call it "Glock Envy."

waldron1305

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Shelbyville
    Ive looked at the true glo. im wondering are they the "brite" that brownells has for like $65? and i mainly got the 27 so i could leave it at home for my wife.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Ive looked at the true glo. im wondering are they the "brite" that brownells has for like $65? and i mainly got the 27 so i could leave it at home for my wife.
    I think those are just the bright (fiber optic) and don't have the tritium. The combo is usually around $90-100. If you don't want a "night sight" you wouldn't need the tritium.

Make sure your wife can shoot the 27. It does have some snap to it. Even with a 9mm barrel it might be uncomfortable. The .40 might really be intimidating.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have the same combination (23/27) but in 3rd gen.

Galco King Tuk IWB holster (fits both), plenty of extra 23 mags (fit both).

Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion kit for whichever you would shoot more (23?). A little bit of $ up front, but saves a considerable amount in the long run. I have an AA kit for the 27 as well as one for the 23.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Nothing wrong in diving in to the most popular pistol in the USA. For value and performance they just can't be beat and easy to fix compared to any semi-auto on the market today. I don't buy a gun just to look pretty, I buy it for it to be used. I'm not trying to offend anyone, it's just common sense, BUT to each his own.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I put Glock factory (+) part 7151 finger rest on my G-27 mags, and both get new Trijicon Night sights, an extended slide stop, and NY-1 triggers.

I use Speer GDHP 180 gr JHP.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I put Glock factory (+) part 7151 finger rest on my G-27 mags, and both get new Trijicon Night sights, an extended slide stop, and NY-1 triggers.

FWIW I've done a lot of ammo testing with my G27. Gold Dots are okay in it but it really loves Federal HST 180 gr. It puts them into about a 3" circle as far out as 20 yds when I shoot off the bags. At 10 yds the group is really tight. And I've chronoed them. The box says 1,010 fps with a 4" barrel. The little 27 with its 3.43" barrel put them out at 1,003. It's a win with the small size, a win with the tight groups and a win with the velocity. Try them before you buy in quantity.

(I should mention that I have trouble grouping better than about 6-8" at 30 yards with any brand, even 180 gr hand loads. I'm sure I could still make a torso shot at that range but I'm disappointed at the groups. Maybe the short sight radius starts to show problems at that range.)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

My G23 has lightly hand polished (no dremel) trigger internals with a Carry Trigger kit in it consisting of an NY1 8# trigger spring and a Glock (-) 3.5# connector.

It raises the stock pull up to about 6-6.5# which is about right for me as far as a carry piece without a safety (not to light and not as heavy as a DAO revolver. I would describe it as something like a really good trigger job on a DAO revolver) and it has a nice crisp reset for quicker follow up shots.

The nice thing is that they are all Glock Factory parts and this trigger/connector combination is approved by Glock for carry.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom